Fieldcraft Ambushes

Started by Amra, 16 January 2022, 06:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amra

So the Finns use the Special Ability "Fieldcraft"
Extra units and a HQ can be used in an ambush .
"Any units from the Ambush..can subsequently be deployed back into Reserve (using a Command roll )"

My question , can I redeploy them at anytime ? So ,regardless of distance to the enemy ,if I pass a Command roll they come off the table ?

Big Insect

Sorry - I don't think I understand your question?

Do you mean (using an example) - You have 1 HQ, 1 AT-gun and an Infantry unit that is have been deployed on-table in an Ambush. You successfully pass a Command Roll that means these units all now 'disappear' back into your Reserves. These units are then immediately available to redeploy in another new Ambush or to be deployed on-table with 20cms of the CO (as the HQ in the original Ambush is within his command hierarchy). The CO can be elsewhere on the table - so restrictions on how far he is from the original Ambush.

If there is no HQ in the original Ambush group - then once the units (that were originally in Ambush) are back in the Reserves of their commanding HQ, then they can redeploy either into another Ambush (anywhere on the table) or within 20cm of the commanding HQ.

Remember ... the idea behind this mechanism is to represent the special ability of certain troops (Finns, Partizans, Guerillas, Insurgents) who know their home terrain so well, to be able to spring an ambush and then blend away back into the terrain, only to appear again suddenly and unexpectedly elsewhere on the battlefield to surprise a new enemy.

Hope that helps?
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Amra

Yes , thanks .
That's what i thought .
I just wanted to be sure there were no penalties or restrictions on my Command roll (assuming the HQ is with the ambushing units )
For example , I can remove the units even if I'm (say) 5cm from enemy ?

Big Insect

All the standard movement restrictions (top of page 33) and all related Ambush movement/positioning restrictions also apply (page 61). So as long as your ambushing units are not suppressed or still engaged in an active assault, they can retire into Reserves.
Do remember that whilst in Reserve your army Break-point is reduced as they are not on-table. I once lost a game that way - as by withdrawing into Reserves I fell below my BP and failed my Army Break die-roll at the start of my next turn  :'( 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Amra