If the Lord Spares us - Middle East WW1 Rules

Started by T13A, 13 December 2022, 08:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

My figures were initially collected for Great War Spearhead - so are 3 figures on 30x30mm bases. The opposing Germans are on 40x30mm bases, which seem a bit large. 

While these work fine, I'd go with what's in the rules - not least as you'll have a third fewer figures to paint! 

I don't think the rules mention officer basing, but I'd suggest putting these on round bases so they stand out. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

Just a suggestion for home made cards for games.

I use card sleeves designed for Collectable Card Games (CCGs) with cheap playing cards, or spare Common cards if you actually play CCGs, as stiffeners then, as Peter suggests, print your card text, but on paper rather than card, and slide playing card and text paper into the sleeve.

Plastic cover protects, to some extent, from coffee/ beer/ etc spills and makes shuffling cards easy as they slide.

Replace paper bit as required. Rinse and repeat. 
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

T13A

Hi

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

Still reading through Paul R'd project blog and a question for Paul R and Peter really, just wondering, looking back on your ITLSU Middle East project, if you wish you had done anything differently (e.g. organising your forces, basing your figures, number of figures on a base, anything really)?

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

paulr

I'm pretty pleased with the project, I can't think of anything I'd want to change

There were quite a few useful figures released in 2018 that I would have liked to include 8->

If you'd like some scenarios I developed PM me with your email address and I'm happy to share
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

I found an old reply from Leman about suitable figures for Belgian 1914 infantry wearing "pre yser" uniforms and lve always wanted to do battle of Haelen as l have suitable German cavalry already.... maybe something for 2024 😇👍 too many other half completed projects to get into a new one in 2023.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

fred.

I'm tempted by the new Russo-Japanese war figures to put together an WWI Russian army. But have WWI British (1914, and 1916+) to finish and 1916+ Germans, and a small amount of 1914 French left to do. 

Why is it always easier to buy stuff than get it painted and on the table!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

T13A

Thanks again, particularly to PaulR, hope to be in touch further down the road regarding scenarios.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

paulr

Happy to help :)

I did remember one thing I would change with my project, the colours on the labels

I used a sand coloured backgrounds for the labels which matched the flocking and base cloth
I differentiated nationalities with the colour of the text on the labels
Ottomans   Red
ImperialBlue
ArabsGreen
GermansDark Grey

So far so good. When I did the test prints the colours contrasted too much with the background. So, I reduced the saturation of the text colours. This looked good when the figures were close but did reduce the readability of the text on the table.

If I was doing the labels again, I wouldn't reduce the saturation of the text colours.

I'd also make use of Mmcv's great suggestion on my Indian project and use a warm grey as the background colour for the Imperials and Arabs
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!