Pendraken Plans for 2022!

Started by Leon, 10 January 2022, 08:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cook

Quote from: John Cook on 21 January 2022, 06:35:38 PMIt was meant to be.  The whole thing was inappropriate for a number of reasons, in my view.   

Raider4

QuoteIt was meant to be.  It was inappropriate for a number of reasons, in my view. 
<bites tongue>

Polite response - some people were having fun. If it's not your thing, ignore it and move on..

fsn

@Leon: Any news on the Japanese castles?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: fsn on 21 January 2022, 08:26:52 PM@Leon: Any news on the Japanese castles?

Not a lot unfortunately, our resin supply has been slow for quite a while now.  I've had a chat with John recently and he's just about got his new premises up and running so I'm hoping for a quicker turnaround on both stock and new products going forward.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

John Cook

Quote from: Raider4 on 21 January 2022, 07:09:18 PM<bites tongue>

Polite response - some people were having fun. If it's not your thing, ignore it and move on..

Polite response - calling women 'chicks', particularly one who has been dead for some time is inappropriate in 2022.  If you don't get it just accept it is offensive to some people..

fsn

Quote from: Leon on 21 January 2022, 09:36:47 PMNot a lot unfortunately, our resin supply has been slow for quite a while now.  I've had a chat with John recently and he's just about got his new premises up and running so I'm hoping for a quicker turnaround on both stock and new products going forward.

Thank you. Probably a good thing for me.  :)
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

QuotePolite response - calling women 'chicks', particularly one who has been dead for some time is inappropriate in 2022.  If you don't get it just accept it is offensive to some people..

Westie was just using it as slang referring indirectly to the two women in the clip. He was simply pointing out that like us they have aged. He did not know that one of the girls in the picture had died until I pointed it out.
He did not cause any offence to them, you have just chosen to be offended by it.

According to the dictionary the use of "Chick" for a girl probably comes from 1920's Afro-American slang which in turn is probably a devolved from the Spanish "Chica" meaning girl. It is also noted as a term of endearment.

So what he actually said was without the slang:- " Sad to think those young girls are now old girls"  Do you find that offensive?

I grew up in East London, and if you go into almost any shop or café there (even now) you are highly like to be called "Luv" by anybody of the opposite sex regardless of their age or yours, be they a 60 year old woman in a sari or a 30 something taxi driver. No one means any offense as it is a term of endearment.

Most of us on this forum grew up in the 1970's and 80's, where such terminology that you now find offensive was in common use without causing any offense.

Consequently those of us of a certain age mean no offense, nor will be offended by this or similar slang:- If you don't get it just accept it.

Or as Raider4 quite rightly said, "Ignore it and move on" 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

Chick, ducks, hen, love (and no doubt others I've forgotten) are all terms I've heard used to address women the speaker didn't know personally. No offense was intended and none taken, as far as I could tell.

Round here women are likely to be called "hen" than "chick." Not sure if that's more or less offensive than chick.

I've heard "You a'right, hen?" more often than I could count and responses have ranged from,  "Aye, I'm fine, thanks for askin" to "Whit dae you think? I'm pukin' ma guts oot intae the gutter, ya bam! How would I be a'right?"

Even in these "woke" days I've never heard "How dare you use such a misogynistic term!"

Though I wait to hear,"I identify as they/ them please use an appropriate non-gendered term of address." At that point "chick" being a descriptions of a baby chicken of either gender might be more appropriate than the gendered "hen"? Who knows?

O tempora! O mores!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

John Cook

Quote from: Orcs on 22 January 2022, 01:47:15 PMI grew up in East London...... Most of us on this forum grew up in the 1970's and 80's, where such terminology that you now find offensive was in common use without causing any offense

I grew up in South London in the 1950's and 1960's, where and when certain standards still existed.

Why should I ignore it and move on if you won't? 

John Cook

In the early 1970s, when I was an ambitious young Lance Corporal on my first tour in Northern Ireland my OC wrote in my annual Confidential Report that "Corporal Cook has difficulties with people who do not meet the same high standards he sets himself".  Nothing has changed in the intervening 50 years and I have nothing more to say on this subject.

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Orcs

Yippee!!!!  <:-P  <:-P  We can say what we like now
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

GrumpyOldMan

Breathing some life into to his comatose thread, how is the refurbishment of the TB Line Mongols looking -

1. 'Cool your jets, just about done.'
2. 'In mid-stream, any month now.'
3. 'Oh what, oh yes, must get cracking.'
4. 'Will no one rid me of this turbulent forum member!!'

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

howayman

Never mind the Mongols
Where are the Chieftains?    ;)