Finally Painted Something

Started by d_Guy, 04 January 2022, 08:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

For an upcoming project on the Confederate Wars in Ireland during the W3K I needed an early, pre-confederation army. Very low number of firearms but a plethora of pikes and lances that could be locally made.

In the foreground is a representation of the cavalry (lancers with a few pistols to the left and on the right even more lightly armed (and mounted) scouts). Interspersed with the ultra-lights are wild Irish on foot with a number of traditional weapons handed down from their grandfathers:

In the background are masses of Ill-trained pikemen:

To these will be added a few units of commanded shot and a sprinkling of more modern horse (in the "Dutch" style) which are part of my existent Confederation army. Several units of my rabble with improvised weapons will complete the look.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

fred.

They look great !

Can you share which codes you used for the units - I will see how easy / hard it might be to add to my existing Irish figures to use in the extended ECW period. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Steve J

Ithoriel

Lovely looking stuff! Very impressed.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

Impressive, indeed (170 odd figures?).  What a splendid array! 

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

pierre the shy

Very nice  :-bd

Quote from: fred. on 04 January 2022, 08:13:37 PMCan you share which codes you used for the units - I will see how easy / hard it might be to add to my existing Irish figures to use in the extended ECW period.

x 2 please, need some further Irish cavalry and "light" infantry figures for my contingent too, though I have the extra pikes for pike heavy units already taken care of using some existing extras.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Thanks Gentlemen.
Most of you may remember that I hate painting horses. These are the first I have done in a coon's age. Most of the pikemen were already painted and left over from my last W3K rebasing. Pierre the Shy (and Paul's paint brush) are working on the Confederation army at Benburb (and after) and I'm concentrating on some of the early (and more obscure) battles where the Irish are more like large, enthusiastic mobs then the armies they would become.

QuoteCan you share which codes you used for the units - I will see how easy / hard it might be to add to my existing Irish figures to use in the extended ECW period.

Hi Fred,

The ultra light cavalry are a bit of a throw back and armed with javelins and darts. No firearms at all so I got by with some Pendraken ancients:

Numidian and Pictish cavalry both have shields so I carved them away and tried to make them look like mantles or the long sleeves of an Irish leine. Not real convincing but as close as I could get.

The lancers are mainly ER19 (border horse) standard bearer (a special pack Leon ran up for me). I like that they wear a morion but the quilted gambeson is not quite right. Still I like the look.

There are also a few EL8 (demilancer) so I could have a few burgonets. I tried to paint the armored portions to look like leather jacks.

The whole point was to make the Irish lancers look different from the those of the Covenanting Scots Lancers.

What the Irish were wearing in the 1640's is open to debate. Although many were in "Anglo" dress, Pierre and I both keep finding mentions of "native" attire.

pierre the shy

Bill, have you considered these guys from the late medieval range for your light dart/javelin armed cavalry?

ELM20 Irish horse
£5.50 £4.58 (ex. VAT)
Pack contains 15 figures (2 poses)

https://www.pendraken.co.uk/nelm20-nirish-horse-1237-p.asp
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

d_Guy

Quote from: pierre the shy on 05 January 2022, 04:19:33 AMBill, have you considered these guys from the late medieval range for your light dart/javelin armed cavalry?

ELM20 Irish horse
£5.50 £4.58 (ex. VAT)
Pack contains 15 figures (2 poses)

https://www.pendraken.co.uk/nelm20-nirish-horse-1237-p.asp

Peter, that would have been too simple! :D

Actually there was a problem with both for use in the 1640's
The first appears to be a noble warrior (maybe late 14th c) and the helmet and ring mail are, I think, archaic even for mid 16th c. Can't tell if he has a shield (likely).

The light horseman is a wonderful action pose and would have been great but the hooded mantle is a problem. As you know the English hated the Irish wearing their hair long to obscure their faces and the heavy, dark mantle with hood up which further made identifying individuals near impossible. Everything I have seen so far indicates that by our period the mantles (if worn at all) had their hoods and fringes removed and hair was more often cut in English style.

On the other hand the Irish were using any war-like equipment they could find so interpretive scope is wide open.

sunjester

fsn

What are you using on your bases?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!