Ideas for baggage train vignettes

Started by FierceKitty, 24 December 2021, 04:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Quote from: Gwydion on 27 December 2021, 12:43:05 PMMurder is the unlawful killing of another human.
Warfare generally moves the act of killing outside normal criminal law considerations (not always) and so please undo these straightjackets at once! >:(

(mass killing; probably - no mens rea of the crime of murder however ;) )

I'm sure that's a great comfort to the victims.  ;D
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

GrumpyOldMan

I've been reading some of the replies and I'm shocked and appalled.... - do winners not impale anybody any more??

My ancestors would shake their heads, tutt-tutt and slowly walk away (if they could).... :D  :D

Heedless Horseman

28 December 2021, 07:09:04 AM #17 Last Edit: 28 December 2021, 07:19:43 AM by Heedless Horseman
Any 'Looting' of Baggage train would make for a good vignette. Medieval, ECW, Naps...esp. Peninsula Brits! Zulus. Or ACW..."Hey! This wagon's got Boots! New Boots!"  ;D

Back to the gruesome, and 'scavengers' / 'Corpse Looters/Tooth Pullers'. Priest with piled Dead. Victorious Warriors with Heads.. not new concept... but a Bulldozer and mass grave might be.  :o  :(

War IS Utterly Horrible. Smart uniforms and Heroism don't last long... except in memorium.
In the lyrics of 'White Mansions', (An ACW LP from youth):
"Heroes look Bad... when all they had... has been eaten by the worms and the rats".

But the Game goes on!  :o  ;)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

John Cook

I was wondering how many dozens of each vignette people were thinking of buying, were any of them to be produced?  One-off sales of each would, I think, not be a viable commercial proposition.  I seem to remember Leon explained the commercial viability of moulds some time ago.  I would think that all these were non-starters. 

Ithoriel

QuoteI was wondering how many dozens of each vignette people were thinking of buying, were any of them to be produced?  One-off sales of each would, I think, not be a viable commercial proposition.  I seem to remember Leon explained the commercial viability of moulds some time ago.  I would think that all these were non-starters. 

Who needs Pendraken to mould them? Have we really lost the will to convert the things that are made into the things that we want?

Excuse me, I need to go find some Plasticine and banana oil. :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

pierre the shy

Quote from: Ithoriel on 28 December 2021, 10:06:44 AMWho needs Pendraken to mould them? Have we really lost the will to convert the things that are made into the things that we want?

Excuse me, I need to go find some Plasticine and banana oil. :)

I think that might be a bit of an art lost in the gaming world these days, Mike....a more viable solution currently is purhaps to find/create an .STL file and fire up a 3D printer? :-\ 
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Heedless Horseman

Where there is a Will, there is a Way!
I do not care for vignettes or dioramas... not in 10mm!
But... loads of figures to convert or approximate if of a mind to!

I have at least three 'possible' projects in 10mm Pendraken which would need a lot of work for 'army' size units:
'Varus' Romans... some swords to Pili Pilums Javelins!
'Terminators':Skeletons to 'endoskeletons'.
'Game of Thrones' figures... massive project!
Figures in pile but None are likely to start anytime soon!
Conversion of a few figures for a Vignette is very 'do-abable' with care.
If you want to.
Moulding of figs... no way... Brit tea drinkers apart! LOL!
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

FierceKitty

A lot of my camp scenes are scratchbuilt. It's quite relaxing while waiting for the next shipment of real armies.

fsn

Not a fan of vignettes on a table meself, though I can see them as target markers or local colour (aka "obstacles").

Having said that the YouTuber "Napoleonic Wargames" modifies rules because of vignettes. For example, he added a signal station (Perry Port14) to his Portuguese army and allowed generals to appear to be 12" closer (using Black Powder).

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Gwydion

Many rule sets (principally ancient and medieval, but a few pike and shot as well) require a baggage train/camp in the rear as a lure for breakthrough attackers and 'victory point' objective. Hence the 'vignette' obsession. I blame DBA and Phil Barker :D

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

One of the few things I give them credit for.

Orcs

Quote from: pierre the shy on 28 December 2021, 10:52:12 AMI think that might be a bit of an art lost in the gaming world these days, Mike....a more viable solution currently is purhaps to find/create an .STL file and fire up a 3D printer? :-\ 

Please will people stop suggesting 3d Printers.  I am trying not to buy one.

Reasons not to buy:-

1. I am sure it will take ages to work out how to get good prints from it
2. I will end up printing more stuff to wargame with , which will need painting and storing.
3 I have more pressing things to spend £200 plus on.

Reasons to buy

1 It will be interesting working out how to get good prints
2 I can print all those things I NEED like an armoured train
3 I will soon save the cost of the printer
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Raider4

QuotePlease will people stop suggesting 3d Printers.  I am trying not to buy one.

I know exactly where you're coming from.

So far I've resisted, helped by a comment I saw somewhere: "3D printing is almost a hobby in itself". Thanks, I really don't need another hobby  ;)

pierre the shy

Quote from: Orcs on 28 December 2021, 05:35:26 PMPlease will people stop suggesting 3d Printers.  I am trying not to buy one.

But you'll get plenty of supports if you do  ;)

Shall I get my coat on?  :-\
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.