Reasons to be cheerful . . .

Started by Raider4, 22 December 2021, 02:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwydion

Sounds great! :)

Small problem trying to replicate it here - you have to book a slot at the tip - in advance online. You have to bring an electronic or paper copy of the booking slot.

Slots are always booked up a week in advance.

You also need a certificate to prove you are a County resident.

And you are limited to one trip a day. (It was once a week until recently).

If you try and use a trailer because of the restriction on number of visits, depending on the size of the trailer you may get away with being a residential load - or you may be classed as commercial and get charged a fee and/or told to go away as you didn't book a commercial slot.

The tip is also now only open 5 days a week.

They are about to cut the unlimited weekly paper and cardboard collection from your house to a single small 're-usable' bag.

All this apparently because they have declared a 'climate emergency' and not at all because they are cost cutting - honest.

You friends would get very frustrated living here.

paulr

:o  :o  :o

Our local tip is only closed on Christmas Day, New Year's Day and Good Friday

You need a truck or really large trailer to be charged by the tonne

Green waste is cheaper & recycling is free to drop off

You can visit as many times as you like with no need to be a local or book in advance

Looks like I have several more reasons to be cheerful :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Heedless Horseman

03 January 2022, 07:02:40 AM #32 Last Edit: 03 January 2022, 07:24:24 AM by Heedless Horseman
Local Tip.. Estate Car, ok. Jobbing Gardener's van... need permit. FFS Why? Green waste... and HAS to go somewhere? Cannot Burn it due to regs! A whole LOT of stuff needs doing! Not Cheerful!  >:(
'Fly' tipping of Household  or Builder's waste Really annoys... should go to Tip... so why make it difficult?  Council might need  to pay for more skips... but that is what service is for! Waste Disposal. 
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Leon

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 03 January 2022, 07:02:40 AMLocal Tip.. Estate Car, ok. Jobbing Gardener's van... need permit.

It's just to stop commercial clearance/waste removal companies from just dumping it all there for free.  Commercial outfits need to pay for an annual waste permit I think.

You should be OK getting a one-off permit from your local council though, we've done that a couple of times in the Pendraken van when we've been moving house or needed to get rid of something too big for a car (settee, wardrobes, etc).
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Heedless Horseman

03 January 2022, 01:43:36 PM #34 Last Edit: 03 January 2022, 01:46:45 PM by Heedless Horseman
Have had a permit for Garden Waste last year. But once site staff realised 'Jobbing Gardener'... not keen.
2 Yrs ago, had some 'Building Work' done. Builders omitted to mention that they did not have a license for waste removal, so had to hire a skip. Work done in 2 Days... skip hire Co, did not remove for 2 MONTHS!
Where I used to work... Industrial Estate... some T*** started 'Fly Tipping' Builders waste. Others quickly cottoned on... so small mountains of kitchen units / mattresses, etc.
WHY make it difficult to dump stuff?  SOMEONE will have to clear up 'Fly Tipping'... and will cost.
>:(  >:(  >:(

Heedless Horseman

'Reasons To Be Cheerfull'! 
If you have them... Damn Well Enjoy them... that's what they are for!
:)  :)  :)

sultanbev

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 03 January 2022, 01:43:36 PMHave had a permit for Garden Waste last year. But once site staff realised 'Jobbing Gardener'... not keen.
2 Yrs ago, had some 'Building Work' done. Builders omitted to mention that they did not have a license for waste removal, so had to hire a skip. Work done in 2 Days... skip hire Co, did not remove for 2 MONTHS!
Where I used to work... Industrial Estate... some T*** started 'Fly Tipping' Builders waste. Others quickly cottoned on... so small mountains of kitchen units / mattresses, etc.
WHY make it difficult to dump stuff?  SOMEONE will have to clear up 'Fly Tipping'... and will cost.
>:(  >:(  >:(

A recent study by Huddersfield council showed that the income from businesses buying permits brought in something like £110,000, whereas the cost of clearing up fly tipping cost ~£37,000. If these figures are representative of all councils, you can see why the system has become like it has. The income stream from awkward arrangements far exceeds the costs of illegal activity, so councils are prepared to put up with it.

Heedless Horseman

OK. But, 'responsible' companies may not have used up their share and 'Fly Tipping', possibly 3 times more dumped than cleanup costs.
I have known some'Council Tip'employees... and 'OK' Blokes... Need Pay!. If Councils want to be 'Green' and 'Environment Friendly'... then get rid of 'Red Tape' and charges! Most would like to be 'Good'... but cannot. Why make it Difficult? Gov't wants to interfere with us in so many ways... with 'Green Intent'...why not Help in this most basic way?

sultanbev

If you want to know the real answer to your question, I suggest picking up a copy of Joseph Tainter's Collapse of Complex Societies.

Failing that, George Monbiot did a good related piece this week:
https://www.monbiot.com/2022/01/03/fishy-business/

Or, the blunt precis answer is:
Those in charge don't give a sh*t as long as their rich mates continue getting richer, and if the proletariat (that includes councils) pick up the cost, so be it.

Orcs

05 January 2022, 11:53:06 PM #39 Last Edit: 05 January 2022, 11:55:18 PM by Orcs
Quote from: Leon on 03 January 2022, 07:34:22 AMCommercial outfits need to pay for an annual waste permit I think.

Round here the permit only allows them to transport it they then pay by the ton at the tip.

On top of our council tax of nearly £3000 a year we  pay  £130 a year for for two Brown wheelie bins to take garden rubbish, but they get really fussy if the weeds have too much soil still attached. What do they expect me to do?   I just bury them under the grass cuttings now. 

A while ago I took 3 bags of painted scrap wood that I could not burn to the tip. They then wanted to charge me £2.50 a bag. I took it back home chopped it up a bit and put it in the normal wheelie bin.
They charge for everything now so I rarely go to the tip now just slowly add it to the normal bins as and when I have space. 
 Its a false economy on their part and they then have to sort it when it arrives at the collection point, rather than me take it to the tip and put it in the correct skip.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Raider4

QuoteYep, good to know that the days are slowly getter longer now :) . I just wish there was more sunshine at present!
19:30 and it's still daylight. I love BST :):):)