Panzer Depot vehicle scale?

Started by Leon, 15 December 2021, 07:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

We've got a customer who's got some of the Panzer Depot vehicles but thinks that they're not the 1:144th advertised?  I've never come across them myself so not sure whether they're bigger/smaller than they should be.  Has anyone here used them, and how do they compare to ours?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fred.

Not a brand I've come across before - with a ruler its not too had to work out the scale of the model, as the dimensions of the real tanks are pretty widely available. I've found due to mudguards and the like coupled with the small size of 10mm tanks it can be a little hard to be spot on a scales, but you can certainly be close enough. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

John Cook

I have bought 1:144 vehicles from Shapeways and they are significantly larger than the 1:150 vehicles of Pendraken/Pithead and not really compatible.  Fortunately they were one-offs, like trailers, so the difference was not too apparent.

Leon

Thanks guys, it's specifically this brand really.  The customer has found that they're smaller than our models, which seems odd if they're advertised as 1:144th.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Could they be the old 1/200th Skytrex stuff ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Gwydion

Skytrex 1/200 is still going (as Skytrex 1/200 ;) )

fred.

My experience is similiar to John's most 1/144th stuff is a bit bigger than Pendraken stuff - still usable, but you wouldn't want to mix the same vehicle types between ranges. 

The Skytrex stuff is tiny, and quite crude. What is interesting about the Panzer Depot ones is that they are pre-painted, though some of the schemes are a bit 'interesting'
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Heedless Horseman

I do not have any Panzer Depot stuff... but have loads of 1/144. The older Pendraken sculpts  are appreciably smaller but new sculpts mix ok on table though maybe not within unit. Figures work well as usually on bases... with unbased tanks.

(I'm guessing query was raised by a guy who is mainly interested in 1/144 'prepaints' for 'Bulge'. I have recommended Pendraken 'Ardennes' Inf... and he seems pleased with sample.)  :)

Skytrex is 1/200... about 8mm. I like them as 'microarmour', bigger than 1/285 GHQ... so easier to handle and work on for detailing, etc. For some reason they are very often lumped into 10mm discussions or by some ebay, etc. sellers. Definitely not compatible with Pendraken... though some 6mm inf figures work well when based.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Ithoriel

I have the Panzer Depot Maus and the Pendraken one. The Panzer Depot one is 4 or 5mm longer and 2 to 4mm wider but about the same height.

Frankly I'm more concerned that people can tell what things are than that the should be exactly the same size so I'm happy to use them together but I can see why others might baulk at that.

The only other Panzer Depot item I have is the "Karl-Gerät" aka Mörser Karl. Pendraken don't (currently) do a 600mm mortar so no comparison to make.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Heedless Horseman

Pendraken Maus? I cannot spot one. I'm not after one. just curious! Heavy Metal!  ;D

But, may I congratulate Pendraken and J.A.D Designs for the excellent paintwork on German vehicles in the new pics! Look really Good!  :)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)