Forum Upgrade

Started by Leon, 07 December 2021, 06:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

I'd say there are a couple of reasons 

1) When registering you are asked for a username - which suggests a made up name rather than your own name. 

2) Search Engines and permanence of posts - there is a big difference between names (and usually only first names) being known to other posters who you have often had multi-year conversations with, versus what some random person with a search engine can pick out. Especially when HR departments can google people at the point of recruitment. I see this as the difference between what you might say in the pub (or at the gaming club) with your mates, vs what you would write in a work email. In everyday transactions people are pretty anonymous in what they do - but there are means to identify people if they break rules. And I think on the internet there should be a similar level of blending in and transience. The problem can be it is far too easy on the internet for people to be abusive due to their anonymity. I don't think we have collectively worked out how this should work yet - and usernames are a simple way of giving some of these benefits - and on a forum such as this there is rarely a problem with abuse of the system.  

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Westmarcher

Pseudonyms: When I joined this forum (and others, subsequently), being inexperienced in this medium, it appeared to be the thing to do - everybody else was doing it - so I picked a nom de plume that reflected my origins.

My name is David (sometimes Davy, to my pals) Henderson. For those who do know that, hello. Pleased to renew my acquaintance with you.   :-h  :)

p.s. Will I change it? Honestly, I can't be bothered.   ;D   
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Last Hussar

Though some people here do know my real name I use the nickname on the Internet to avoid problems with my employer.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Is there any way to reinstate the feature from the 9ld forum where it would tale you to the last unread post rather than that page?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

:-/

I clicked on the Today at 12:06:30 AM link on the right of the thread and it takes me to the last post

If I click on the Re: Forum Upgrade link in the list of Recent posts or the Latest Post: it also takes me to the last post
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

Quote from: Last Hussar on 28 December 2021, 11:18:10 PMThough some people here do know my real name I use the nickname on the Internet to avoid problems with my employer.

God forbid that they found out you played with toy soldiers  :)

hammurabi70

Quote from: John Cook on 29 December 2021, 09:22:57 AMGod forbid that they found out you played with toy soldiers  :)

AFAIK a majority of people [i.e. straw poll at the club] avoid mentioning it on the CV in the General Interests section.  For the general public we tend to refer to an interest in military history when pressed (e.g. hiring a hall).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: paulr on 29 December 2021, 03:29:06 AM:-/

I clicked on the Today at 12:06:30 AM link on the right of the thread and it takes me to the last post

If I click on the Re: Forum Upgrade link in the list of Recent posts or the Latest Post: it also takes me to the last post
Doesn't for me
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Westmarcher

Works for me, too.  :)

p.s. Meant to say above, "For those who do NOT know my real name, hello."  :-[  :-h

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leon

On the names thing, it's maybe not so much of an issue in the UK but other places are a lot less forgiving unfortunately.  A friend in Germany has to use several aliases and avoid all mention of his real name within the hobby, as he's a teacher and could potentially lose his job if his employer found out that he played wargames.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

T13A

Hi

Just wondering if there is a slight problem (although it could well be me)?

On the home page, looking at the 'Wider wargaming' - 'Genre/Period Discussion', it shows the last post was on 10 Feb 2022, but when I go into it there are several later posts in the sub boards, including some from me. I am missing something?  :-\

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Steve J

I've been having similar problems too Paul, as has Ian Shaw. Not sure what's going on really :( .

An infestation of insects - ie bugs. The worst type - intermittent ones.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Phil2

Told you...

No wonder I've deleted myself twice. :P
Get your money back, Leon.