Forum Upgrade

Started by Leon, 07 December 2021, 06:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

I've posted things where others have posted while I was writing without problem.

I have, a couple of times, had posts "vanish" and realised I'd hit preview instead of post and then hit 'Unread Posts.'

I know there is this drive for corporate colours and corporate branding but I do wish buttons clustered together were different colours. Red for Preview and green for Post (or some disability aware equivalent) would save the hard of thinking, like me :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

John Cook

All OK for me - no complaints or comments.  I didn't even mind the previous blue. :)

fred.

One thing I have just noticed is that when you quote someone it just shows Quote, whereas previously and on other SMF forums it shows who you are quoting

QuoteAll OK for me - no complaints or comments.  I didn't even mind the previous blue. :)
And at the point you insert the quote it shows both the person quoted and the time stamp of the quote
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Orcs

Quote from: mmcv on 09 December 2021, 11:47:23 AMIt shows "Last Active" on their profile which is the same thing I think

Yep missed that, THanks
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mmcv

QuoteOne thing I have just noticed is that when you quote someone it just shows Quote, whereas previously and on other SMF forums it shows who you are quoting

And at the point you insert the quote it shows both the person quoted and the time stamp of the quote

Using the quote button on their post pulls in those details as here. I think the manual quote insert always just showed quote?

mmcv

QuoteUsing the quote button on their post pulls in those details as here. I think the manual quote insert always just showed quote?
Oh interesting it showed the name and date in the quick insert but not when I actually posted...I see what you mean. Though I can see "quote from mmcv" on orcs one above...

Techno II

The only thing that still happens to me, once every four or five visits, is that it doesn't like my password...and I'm being ultra careful to get it right.

I just leave the forum, and then start again...and (so far) that's always worked.

Cheers - Phil. :)

fred.

QuoteThe only thing that still happens to me, once every four or five visits, is that it doesn't like my password...and I'm being ultra careful to get it right.

I just leave the forum, and then start again...and (so far) that's always worked.

Why do you need to enter your password so often? I think I've only entered mine once or twice in the new forum. 

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

QuoteOh interesting it showed the name and date in the quick insert but not when I actually posted...I see what you mean. Though I can see "quote from mmcv" on orcs one above...

Yep there are definitely two different behaviours

Techno II

10 December 2021, 08:51:38 AM #24 Last Edit: 10 December 2021, 08:55:20 AM by Techno II
QuoteWhy do you need to enter your password so often? I think I've only entered mine once or twice in the new forum.

Force of habit, Forbes. ;) .....Von and I both log out of any sites we visit.....I'm pretty sure Firefox would kick us off, anyway, when we come off the net.

Means there's slightly less stuff for the PC Cleaner to trawl through, as well. ;D

That does mean that there's yet something else I don't quite understand, regarding the new forum.
Bottom of the home page, we have "users active in the last 15 minutes", with the names of those actually logged in ??
I'm pretty sure on the old forum, people who HAD been logged in, but had logged out, showed up for 15 minutes.

Now it seems that as soon as someone logs out, their 'moniker' disappears instantly.....(Definitely of no matter, at all !  ;)

Wouldn't anyone who hadn't logged out show up permanently, at the bottom of the page ? :-\

Interesting....I just logged out, then came back in...and while I was logged out "Techno II" WAS still showing at the bottom of the page..

fred.

I'm not even sure I know where to start with this!

Your browser and the server are two different entities. The session you are running is what is showing by the last seen widget on the bottom of the home page. All it is doing is recording the last time someone was active on the site, and listing them if their activity was within the last 15 mins. 

If you log out of your session it should have no impact on this. As Techno's activity was still 5mins ago. Irrespective of what activity you then do either not-logged in, or logged in as another username. 

As to logging out of the site - I really can't see any reason at all to do this on a home computer. Unless you think Von will be sneaking on to post as you. On a shared computer there is a lot of reasons to do this. But this logging in is very much a local thing for your browser. It is just remembering your details to make it easier next time. 

Duke Speedy of Leighton

One thing I miss about the old forum was when you hit read unread it took you to the last unread post...
I don't want to see my own waffle!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Heedless Horseman

What is the little brown post reference top right for? EG. #26
Have tried putting into 'search' but did not bring anything up.
Not something that I want to use... just curiosity.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Leon

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 10 December 2021, 03:21:27 PMWhat is the little brown post reference top right for? EG. #26
Have tried putting into 'search' but did not bring anything up.
Not something that I want to use... just curiosity.

That's just a reply number, so my post here is the 28th reply to the original post.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

John Cook

One thing that I have often wondered about is the use of pseudonyms on the forum. 
Anonymity doesn't seem to be an issue because some sign posts with their proper names, and the proper names of a number of posters are clearly known to each other. 
As on-line anonymity is becoming frowned on these days and forums increasingly do not allow it anyway, is it not time that proper names are used?
What is the purpose of pseudonyms?