OHW Scenario 10 AAR

Started by Steve J, 06 December 2021, 02:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Techno II

I think your thoughts as regarding the town's position, at the start of the game, makes a lot of sense, Steve.

Did enjoy reading it though. :-bd .

Cheers - Phil. :)

Steve J

Elliesdad

An interesting battle report Steve with lovely figures and terrain, as ever.

Surely if the Prussians have so many "advantages" (by virtue of their national characteristics) shouldn't the Austrians maybe have more units to even things up? If this was football you'd hardly think it fair if eleven adult players from the mens "first team" played a team of eleven 10 year old children? I once remember 6 or 7 of us been run ragged playing one semi-pro footballer aided by a single decent player. The Austrians perhaps need something to help tip the tide in their favour. If only they had more Grenadiers...

The Commision Figurines MDF figures are nearly all in shako, yes? That's a shame, as tricornes would be needed for the Seven Years War. Of course, how you'd do a tricorne on a two dimensional MDF figures I don't know.

The OHW book should be regarded as a suggested starting position and, as you have, needs to be adapted/tweaked when and where necessary. I often buy rulebooks for periods I probably have no intention of ever playing, just to read the rules and see if there are any rule mechanisms, ideas or concepts that I can borrow/plagiarise for use elsewhere.

Take care & keep safe,

Geoff

Ps - I tried to post this to your blog but, yet again, my iPad is seemingly "having none of it". ;)

Steve J

Hi Geoff,
this was very much a last minute decision type game and for once I decided to use the Prussian 'stats', rather than two generic Austrian ones. Having played them and seen how good they are, I'd certainly give the Austrians more troops or a few more Superior ones.

My figures are pretty much all shako as the initial intention was to use them for Nappies onwards. They do some figures in bicornes which at this scale would pass muster for tricornes IMHO. Not perfect but they'd do for me.

I agree that the OHW scenarios make a good starting point and can then be tweaked to suit a period and ruleset. For example if using them with BKCII, I would certainly make significant changes in terms of OOB, but try and keep the essence of the scenario in terms of layout and victory conditions.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Great report, full of flavour too!  8)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J