The Battle of Murfreesboro (Stones River) 1862 at Warfare 2021

Started by Jemima Fawr, 03 December 2021, 06:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemima Fawr

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 06 December 2021, 04:44:28 PMWow!  :) Great terrain... and looks suitably 'confusing' to be a real battle!  ;)
Cheers!  Yeah, I thought I'd be clever and clearly define all the woodland areas in a different shade of flock, but in that 'lighting' it all looked the same!  :'(

Leon

Quote from: Jemima Fawr on 06 December 2021, 06:34:13 AMI don't care what everyone else here says about you behind your back, you're ok with me and I never believed it anyway.

It was probably true...!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Jemima Fawr

Sorry for the delay, but here's my after-action report for the Second Battle of Murfreesboro (Stones River) at Warfare 2021: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2021/12/12/the-battle-of-murfreesboro-at-warfare-2021-the-game/

fred.

Great write up, and great to see more details of the game. 

Particularly like the use of the Ambulance stands to mark a level of casualties - a nice touch.

I also liked that you decided against trees on the edge of the table, clearly not just Steve who is known for picking up trees and units with his sleeve!

Teleporting houses, often a problem in games to make seeing and reaching and fitting easier - if only the troops on the ground could have made things easier for themselves.

Thanks for the effort in sharing (and in putting the game together)
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Jemima Fawr

Cheers chaps! 

Yeah, I could have easily used twice as many, or even three times as many trees and I'll probably do another 128 (two bags of 57, plus the 14 I've got spare) before the next outing, as they're cheap enough and very quick to do, as there's no foliage and all you have to do is stab them with a hot needle and then bend them a bit.  As you say though, they are very prone to being damaged by or attached to gamers when near the table edge!

The houses in this instance, are only there for decoration and to mark the position of landmark/historic houses and don't count as cover or significantly block line of sight, as they literally only represent one house and perhaps a small cluster of outbuildings, rather than a defensible built up area.  As a consequence, the players just move the bloody things with gay abandon, putting them in completely different places on the board, or just removing them completely!   =)  I think I'll have to paint a footprint for each building, so that they go back in the right spot.

Techno II

Cracking write up, table, and piccies !! =D>  :-bd  =D>

Cheers - Phil. :)

fred.

Painting the footprint of the houses sounds a good plan - also dare I suggest it, using 6mm scale houses might fit better, if the real ones are just single houses, and given the footprint of the units the smaller houses might fit into the terrain better?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

QuotePainting the footprint of the houses sounds a good plan - also dare I suggest it, using 6mm scale houses might fit better, if the real ones are just single houses, and given the footprint of the units the smaller houses might fit into the terrain better?
Firstly, I'm sure I wrote a reply saying how impressed I was with the game and write up but I don't see it here. I'm guessing I hit preview not post. :( Anywho, great game, great write up!

As to fred's heretical suggestion that "Wendy houses" be deployed, I am shocked at the very suggestion, fred, shocked I tell you! :) :) :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Jemima Fawr

Cheers fellas!  The 10mm buildings aren't a problem if only the players could be persuaded to put the bloody things back where they found them!  ;)

Steve J

Westmarcher

Epic! A great report and an early festive treat to see it all played out with your superb miniatures on that wonderful battle field. Quite a surprise ending also, because up until the last photographs it appeared to me that it was going to be a Confederate victory. I can also see why you thought the likes of the unevenness of the supporting tables might have affected your chances of winning first prize (I've yet to see the winning display game but I'm happy enough to stop at yours) but, personally, I think it was the telegraph poles!*  ;)

* <private joke>
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Jemima Fawr

Cheers all!   8)

Yeah, I know the telegraph poles were Great Western Railway circa 1871-1953, but I thought I could get away with using them as Nashville-Chattanooga Railroad, circa 1862 and nobody would notice!  What a fool I was!  :'(

John Cook

Thanks for the report and pictures.  A classic historical refight.  A stunning looking game and I thought the table was very well presented indeed.  What a refreshing change from the usual diet of Gettysburg and the Eastern Theatre. My own ACW army is based on the the OB for the first day of Shiloh so I have to declare a preference for the Western Theatre anyway. 

Jemima Fawr

Cheers John!  Yes, I do love the variety of Confederate battle flags for the Western Theatre and it does make the post-game write-up very easy when you can see at a glance which formation each unit belongs to!  :D