Gun boats - East Africa - paint schemes ?

Started by Sunray, 02 December 2021, 02:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

I am scratch building a couple of gunboats - 4" to 6" in lenght - armed with 20mm Oerlikon & MGs. Not primarly for naval warfare, but to support troops on shore. One is a steam picket boat, the other based on a lighter.

Is there any images which suggest paint schemes for these WW1 African "navys" ?   

Ithoriel

There's not much that I can find except pictures of Graf von Goetzen, which is either mainly white or a very light grey.

For inspiration, have a look at this blog - about half way down the page.

https://dtbsam.blogspot.com/2014/09/

David Manley is pretty good on all things naval so I'd guess his colour schemes there will be pretty close to the mark.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Sunray

Thanks Ithorial - a very good read. Yes, off white seems like the colour.

GrumpyOldMan

02 December 2021, 09:36:54 PM #4 Last Edit: 02 December 2021, 09:40:27 PM by GrumpyOldMan
From what I can see from period b&w photos it looks like light grey. This seems to be a general pattern in Africa and China as well as South America.

All the German ships from 1871-1919 https://deutsche-schutzgebiete.de/wordpress/kaiserliche-marine-blog/

Or if you're a stickler you could go for 'River Gunboats, An Illustrated Encyclopaedia By Roger Branfill-Cook

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

paulr

QuoteI am scratch building a couple of gunboats - 4" to 6" in lenght - armed with 20mm Oerlikon & MGs. Not primarly for naval warfare, but to support troops on shore. One is a steam picket boat, the other based on a lighter.

Is there any images which suggest paint schemes for these WW1 African "navys" ?   

WWI is a bit early for 20mm Oerlikon isn't it

Perhaps a QF 3-pounder Hotchkiss or Vickers or maybe something smaller :-\

PS The new forum doesn't need the extra \ to make  :-\ work =D>
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

Vic- good source as ever- thank you!

Whilst the paint schemes reflect WW1, and may at some point be used for that era, the first Boxing Day outing will be in the Horn of Africa circa 1935. Hence the more modern firepower. :)

PAUL =What do you mean about the "new forum"??

GrumpyOldMan

The only pics I can find are of Sudanese gunboats 1925 which seem to follow the rough guide of white/light grey with buff bits or in the case of Yangtze boats, yellow funnels and bits....

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Sunray

Thanks Vic,I will stick to this white/grey suggestion. Good info- this is why Pendraken forum thrives.

paulr

QuotePS The new forum doesn't need the extra \ to make  :-\ work =D>

QuotePAUL =What do you mean about the "new forum"??

Apologies for any confusion, the comment was unrelated to your post
I quite often use the "undecided" emoji  :-\
Before the forum was updated I had to add an extra \ to the : - \ to make it display correctly, with the update its no longer required :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sunray

Update from Sunray shipyard. Aquired a vintage hard plastic toy boat via ebay. It looks like a 1930S era ocean going tug.

Guns- the 6pdr turret from the Deacon in "A" position
    - AAA in form 2cm Flak 30

Images will follow.