Can AP shooting suppress AFV?

Started by Dave Fielder, 29 December 2021, 10:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamingpig0

Quote from: Ithoriel on 01 January 2022, 02:03:31 PMIf it needs to be two letters, how about HT and ST - Hard Target/ Soft Target?

That would be better if, as you say, it has to be two letters.
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

John Cook

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 01 January 2022, 04:22:05 PMThat would be better if, as you say, it has to be two letters.

Have a look an UK MOD Acronyms and Abbreviations.  If it isn't in there, I'd say it doesn't exist.  There must be one in there for what is needed.  Basic natures include Armour Piercing (AP), Anti-Personnel (APers), Anti-Material (AM), Anti-Personnel Anti-Material (APAM), Armour Piercing High Explosive (APHE), Armour Piercing High Explosive Incendiary (APHEI), White Phosphorous (WP) etc, etc., before you get onto specific types of anti armour natures an so on. 

I'm not a BKC user but I would have thought the ammunition nature and the weapon system, and its ability to defeat the target type, was the key feature, not the target per se.

Perhaps I don't understand the issue properly.

flamingpig0

Quote from: John Cook on 02 January 2022, 09:38:24 AMHave a look an UK MOD Acronyms and Abbreviations.  If it isn't in there, I'd say it doesn't exist.  There must be one in there for what is needed.  Basic natures include Armour Piercing (AP), Anti-Personnel (APers), Anti-Material (AM), Anti-Personnel Anti-Material (APAM), Armour Piercing High Explosive (APHE), Armour Piercing High Explosive Incendiary (APHEI), White Phosphorous (WP) etc, etc., before you get onto specific types of anti armour natures an so on. 

I'm not a BKC user but I would have thought the ammunition nature and the weapon system, and its ability to defeat the target type, was the key feature, not the target per se.

Perhaps I don't understand the issue properly.

It is about using easily understood and unambiguous terminology- I suspect that to most people AP means armour piercing.
 H.P. Lovecraft

Salah Askar,

Orcs

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 02 January 2022, 03:24:35 PMIt is about using easily understood and unambiguous terminology-

Tell that to Phil Barker!

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

flamingpig0

QuoteAP to me is Armour Piecing

and me
 H.P. Lovecraft

Salah Askar,

flamingpig0

Quote from: Orcs on 02 January 2022, 04:49:45 PMTell that to Phil Barker!

I was reading DBMM online and the computer asked me if "I wanted this Indonesian document translated"- and that isn't made up.
 H.P. Lovecraft

Salah Askar,

Dave Fielder

Acronyms smacronyms ... don't think anyone I've ever used hasn't had another meaning. Who watched the recent Doctor Who series? What the Flux ... or did I misread that title?
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis