Letters to the editor.

Started by Techno II, 23 October 2021, 03:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Sirs,

In the headlong dash towards the cashless society of the future, why oh why are the railway stations of this great country still insisting that our fine citizens carry actual coins around with them, thus placing them at great danger of being mugged by some of the younger, less law-abiding members of society?

Is it not the modern way to require some sort of 'app' to do anything important? Preferably one that requires one to be tracked at all times, and provide copies of any photographs or electronic communications received or transmitted?

Yours

Sir Hugh Jass Esq.

Orcs

Dear Editor

I must protest in the strongest possible terms about the way the youngsters are abandoning out traditional celebrations in favour of Colonial practices.

I refer in particular to the celebration of "Guy Fawkes Night". In My day you regularly had children (Normally small boys) on street corners  with a straw or paper filled mannequin of  Mr Guy Fawkes ,calling out "Penny for the Guy!"  This was to enable them to go and buy some fireworks.  Now I appreciate that a collection of pennies does not but many (any?) fireworks, but I for one would not object to giving them a few bob or even a £1 for said fireworks.

Instead we pumpkins everywhere and Children (and often adults) dressed up as Ghosts, ghouls and other dreadful things knocking on doors asking for sweets. supposedly celebrating that American nonsense of  "Halloween". I think this trend is most unhealthy, all that sugar is no good for them. Not to mention the dangers of knocking on strangers doors at night. 

Far better  and safer that they spend thier money on pyrotechnics, at least then it would not contribute to the obesity problem we have in our young, and they might even learn a bit of history in the process.

J.Brock Esq.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

d_Guy

Sir

Where am I? What is this place? It's like the time I went on a two day business trip and they changed all the locks.

I. B. Confuzed, man about town (ret)
Sleep with clean hands ...

Last Hussar

Dear Sir

When are you next presenting the News Quiz?

Yours

Mrs Trellis,
North Wales
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Heedless Horseman

Dear Editor
Having recently been released from Hospitalisation, I feel that I must comment on the proliferation of Pumpkins at Halloween.
My ex-girlfriend regards them as upsetting and derogatory.
Recognizing that this may be due to her ample stature, use of spray tan and unfortunate dentistry, I attempted to sooth her qualms by saying;
"Luv... you look good enough to eat..."

T. Lantern
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Heedless Horseman

To Whom It may Concern.
Having finished yet another hectic Night Shift, may I re-iterate a long standing plea?
When hanging up socks/stockings in the expectation of gifts to be placed therein...
... could you please WASH the hosiery beforehand?

And To All, A Good Night.
S Claus.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Leman

Hugh Jass - get yourself over here. One OV card for trains, buses and trams from one end of the country to the other. And no need to book months in advance for a reasonable price.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Leman on 07 January 2022, 10:42:50 AMHugh Jass - get yourself over here. One OV card for trains, buses and trams from one end of the country to the other. And no need to book months in advance for a reasonable price.

Yes, but you can walk from one end of the country to the other in about twenty minutes anyway!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Raider4

QuoteHugh Jass - get yourself over here. One OV card for trains, buses and trams from one end of the country to the other. And no need to book months in advance for a reasonable price.
Mr.Jass' comment was in connection with being charged to use the bog.

I'm glad they don't make you book months in advance for that.

Leman

Couldn't see a specific reference to the old WC. Assumed it concerned the stupidity of still requiring individual tickets. The last time I took a train in the UK, day return to Leeds, I was issued with about 6 individual pieces of cardboard. Utterly daft.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Orcs

Sirs,

I have been watching some of the sports from the Commonwealth Games. I am outraged that some of the countries competing are actually beating competitors from Great Britain. Do they not know their place??

GREAT Britain means exactly that. This country is the head of this commonwealth and the others have had the good fortune to be invited to join this exclusive and wonderful Commonwealth. In deference to the great privilege we bestow on them they need to behave in a suitably subservient manner. Beating our athletes is just NOT ON!

Regards

Mr B I Gott
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

And all the world over, each nation's the same
They've simply no notion of playing the game
They argue with umpires, they cheer when they've won
And they practice beforehand, which ruins the fun!

:) :) :) :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

What do you call a Scottish person who wins gold? British. What do you call a Scottish person who doesn't win? Scottish.
What do you call an English person who wins gold? English. What do you call an English person who doesn't win? Cheated by those damned colonials.

I am also somewhat appalled at the commentary referring to a Northern Irish runner as a "menace" for daring to challenge the English runner. I thought it was the British Broadcasting Corporation.  ;D

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Sir

I must protest that this minor unimportatnt activity of running round in circles is takeing up so much of the valuable space in your letter column.

Yours H. Simpson CP
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

John Cook

Quote from: mmcv on 05 August 2022, 11:46:51 AMI thought it was the British Broadcasting Corporation.  ;D

It has been the Biased Broadcasting Corporation for years.