The Bigger Move - Phase 2 begins!

Started by Leon, 08 October 2021, 12:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

Van peeping round the corner like a sentient killer-car from a Stephen King novella.  :d

Techno II

Leon

26 October 2021, 10:38:13 PM #32 Last Edit: 04 November 2021, 10:47:09 PM by Leon
Work continues and we got a lot of painting and maintenance stuff done last Friday.  Today we got our heating frame up and welded together, ready for a bit of painting and then heaters being installed on Thursday.  This rather odd looking construction will have wiring coming in from the left wall which will power 4 x halogen heaters above the casting stations.  Push button switches will power them up for 1 hour at a time whenever the guys get a bit chilly.  This will be the first time in nearly a decade that the casters have had a proper heating source so they're looking forward to it!

HeatingFrame1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Progress in the shop has been a bit slower than I'd hoped but we got the light switch and sockets resited today, so they'll be behind the counter once that's built.  And Mike got the former partition wall bit of roof trimmed out so that it's nice and neat now.  The far wall needs a bit of plasterboard over the gap, then plaster and paint to finish.  Next to be done in the shop is getting the old carpet up and the new one laid.

WallRoofFixed by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

And finally something that might be of interest to a lot of you... Last Thursday we travelled down the M1 to pick up nearly 3000 books from a friend of ours.  Around 2500 of these are brand new (the rest 2nd hand) and will be going into our shop once it's ready.  We want to get as much variety in the shop as we can to make it more attractive to a wider market so these will definitely give folks a reason to come and see us!  Once we've got them all unpacked and organised I'll put up a list here for everyone to look at.

BooksVan by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Books2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Books1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

steve_holmes_11

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Last Thursday we spent all day in the workshop getting the new lights and heaters installed in there, just time for the clocks going back and the dark nights setting in!  The lights are hi-bay LEDs which put out an impressive amount of light and make it much easier for the casting guys to see what they're doing.

NewLights by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

The heaters are halogen lamps and are operated by a push-button switch, which powers them up for 1 hour at a time.  We're getting some work done to the roller door to try and make it a bit more insulated and less drafty, so that should help as well.

HeaterSwitch by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

HeaterOn by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

And while we were in the workshop we fitted a new light in the alcove to brighten up that area a bit.

AlcoveLight by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

This week we've pulled up the carpets in the old back office, ready for the new ones to arrive next Wednesday.  We'll have to wait until after Salute to get them fitted though!

CarpetUp by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Today we've finally started fitting the slatwall panels in the shop.  We'll be continuing this tomorrow and should have at least 50% of it done I think.  Again, we'll have to wait until after Salute to finish off the rest of it, as time is at a premium at the moment.  There's going to be a lot of sales-space here so we'll have to see what products we want to fill all of these walls with...

Slatwall1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

And finally, I'm sure most of you know how busy we tend to be at Pendraken HQ but here's something to help illustrate that a little...  I've always wanted to organise all of our outstanding releases/projects so that I can keep an eye on them and make sure that nothing gets forgotten.  So, presenting the Projects Wall!  There's a few missing that I need to add here but this is all of the major projects that we've got on the go at the moment.  There's the Peninsular Naps, Arab-Israeli range, Castle Arts buildings, Dungeon revamp, Sci-Fi expansion, new flags, more modern vehicles...

ProjectsBoard by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Well Done!

Note to self :-
I do NOT need to drive 440 miles round trip to visit Pendraken shop .
I do NOT need to drive 440 miles round trip to visit Pendraken shop . :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Orcs on 05 November 2021, 12:30:23 PM
Well Done!

Note to self :-
I do NOT need to drive 440 miles round trip to visit Pendraken shop . :)

I do....

pierre the shy

Can't see myself getting there anytime soon I'm afraid.

I was talking to a work colleague yesterday who just came back from a visit to the UK as her father is terminally ill over there.

Said she spent 24 days in isolation in UK and NZ, had multiple covid tests (all negative but had to pay for anyway) before she flew out of NZ and the UK and she is double vaxxed with Pzifer. She was lucky to get a MIQ (mananged isolation quarentine) spot here on her return to spend her 14 days in isolation in NZ.

The good old Kiwi OE (Overseas Expedition) tradition of going overseas to "see the world" is not really an option these days, instead people seem to be crossing Cook Striaght and visiting the (mostly) still covid free South Island.   

Travelling overseas will never be quite the same. 
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

John Cook

Quote from: pierre the shy on 05 November 2021, 09:23:20 PM
Travelling overseas will never be quite the same. 

Even before the UK dropped the traffic light system NZ, like Australia, was a 'green' country which meant that fully vaccinated people entering UK didn't need to quarantine.  My son could visit from Australia without problem, but getting back into Australia would be a nightmare, so we haven't seen him since 2019 and have never seen our grandson.

As soon as the penny has dropped everywhere that we are never going to be free of COVID the better.  Australia seems to be realising this now.  Travelling will eventually return to what it was before, as long as people are fully vaccinated.  It will become the norm to get jabbed and carry vaccination records, and testing certification where necessary, like getting a visa.  It will be routine and hardly a challenge.

Techno II

Bet I know what the list on the bottom left is. :D
I recognise the layout, and Von's neat typing.

Cheers - Phil. :)

hammurabi70

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 05 November 2021, 02:41:10 PM
I do....

440 miles at 50p a mile is £220.  Order a £100 of figures by mail order and tell the wife you have just saved over £100! :D ;D

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 06 November 2021, 08:54:13 AM
440 miles at 50p a mile is £220.  Order a £100 of figures by mail order and tell the wife you have just saved over £100! :D ;D
Quote from: Lord Kermit of Birkenhead on 06 November 2021, 12:50:50 PM
Doubt that would work

It would work perfectly here.  In fact I could say to Mrs Orcs, "I thought about visiting the Pendraken shop, but instead I placed an order for £220, as that's what it would have cost me to visit it.  The only comment I would have got would have been " "And when are you going to paint them?"

I am fortunate that I do not have to justify anything I spend money on.  Just myself, and if its Shiney....... ;)

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson