Impetus rules and base sizes

Started by Bob51451, 25 September 2021, 07:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

The army lists for original Basic Impetus can still be found here. Don't know how useful this is.

DecemDave

You could start by building the 9 unit Basic Impetus army as this is designed as a no thought representative starter .  It would give you something achievable and playable and you can play Impetus/Impetus 2 with it.  Then you can expand it later.  If you have a specific battle in mind, another approach is to convert the order of battle in that at a scale of 1:10/1:20/1:501:100 or whatever fits your budget.

22.19 Late Samurai 1543-1600 AD  (p44 Basic Impetus 2.0 Dadi&Piombo)
Mounted Samurai 1xCP2* VBU=7, I=4, VD=3
Samurai on foot 2xFP* VBU=6, I=3, VD=3
Ashigaru 1xFL VBU=5, I=2, VD=3, Long spear
Ashigaru Archers 1xS VBU=2, I=0, VD=1, Longbow B
Teppo 3xT VBU=4, I=0, VD=2, Harquebus B
Mounted Warrior Monks 1xCM* VBU=5, I=3, VD=3

and then build the units in the options.

After that, its what you want to achieve and your choice.   The full later samurai list in "Extra Impetus 5" would allow over 30 units if you wanted to with up to 8 each of Ashigaru and Samurai for example.   

If you meant the column headed Nr, that shows the minimum (often 0) and maximum units that you can choose.  So 2-8 means you must have 2 but can have up to 8.  You multiply the units chosen by the number in the Pts column to get a total points for the army.  they recommend  500 points but its for you to decide your scale of army/game.  The starter above works out just over 200 points. The maximum of everything would be over 1000.

This decision is always a bit circular because if you really want 30 units a side and are producing 2 armies to fight each other but also want to keep the total figure spend and paint time down, you may want to revisit the basing decision again and have smaller bases/units.   

Welcome to the wonderful world of army planning. 

You should also check out this thread    http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,19799.msg331493.html#msg331493    because he has produced some fine figures with much back banner fun and might share his army composition if you ask nicely and say how wonderful his figures are.   :D