Panic buying of petrol

Started by Steve J, 25 September 2021, 07:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Leon on 08 October 2021, 05:29:21 PM
I remember reading an article in National Geographic (I think?) about kangaroo being an ideal meat for farming, due to low feed costs, no methane production, etc.  There just didn't seem to be much appetite (!) for it globally.

The main drawback is the size of fences required.

Ostrich is another of those meats that was going to revolutionise farming.
"I really couldn't eat a whole drumstick".

I remember receiving a panicked phone call form the Mrs one summer afternoon.
I was cycling down Ayrshire way, and a farm in the county had a mass Ostrich escape.
Nowhere near my location, though neither of us knew that at the time.

Vicious creatures though, tear you open with their claws, and utterly wreck an airliner in a mid-air collision.

Ithoriel

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 08 October 2021, 06:13:22 PM
Vicious creatures though, tear you open with their claws, and utterly wreck an airliner in a mid-air collision.

...and hide in the rushes and jump out and break your arm with a sweep of their wing .... wait ... umm .... I may have the wrong bird there .... that's pigeons, isn't it. ;)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

Ostrich and kangaroo aren't bad. Kangaroo is very lean and reminded me a little of venison. Ostrich is a redder meat than I'd have thought, more duck than chicken.

Only downside is their ideal farming area is on the other side of the globe, so the impact of shipping etc may well offset any benefits.

As burgers you'll not notice much difference for a lot of meats, and insect burgers from mealworm and the like will likely become more widespread too.

I think there is a lot to be said for appreciation of eating higher quality meats in lower quantity, rather than the overconsumption of cheap, poorly treated and highly processed meats.

Westmarcher

If you ever order crocodile, and you're in a hurry, tell them to make it snappy.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

09 October 2021, 01:49:19 AM #199 Last Edit: 09 October 2021, 01:52:14 AM by FierceKitty
I've frequently eaten ostrich, and consider it better than beef (a bit more tender and gamey). A recent attempt at crocodile was disappointing, however; short of flavour, and innumerable little bony bits. There wasn't even an alarm clock inside it.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Heedless Horseman

Well, coming up to the Festive Season so , maybe consider Python, stuffed with Alligator, stuffed with Coyote, stuffed with Rat... would make a great table centerpiece!  8)
Think my circuits shorting.  :(
Have, for several days, now, a 'craving' for tinned Stewed Steak with tinned Carrots. I Hate Stewed Steak and I Hate Carrots !!!  :o
Really Hope I'm not Pregnant... THAT WOULD be a shock!  ;D
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

FierceKitty

09 October 2021, 11:29:14 AM #201 Last Edit: 09 October 2021, 12:10:09 PM by FierceKitty
Try grating carrots and simmering them with a heck of a lot of milk (we're talking a couple of litres for a pound of carrots); after twenty minutes add some cinnamon and stir it at great length until most of the water has evaporated. Add honey, sultanas, and a large amount of butter and brown sugar; carry on until it won't absorb any more butter and there's no water left, then turn it our to cool and cut it into fudge-like blocks. Eat chilled. Write seminar paper on heart disease in India.

(Indian friends swear it's better hot, but I can't agree.)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

toxicpixie

I love Indian sweets. Have to restrict my visits to the many excellent purveyors of such locally lest I end up five talk AND five foot wide...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Techno II

Going back decades ago......there was an 'Indian snack' which came in very small packets....
I think it was called 'Chevda'.....I can only describe it as curried rice crispies...with the odd curried peanut....and some tiny seedy bits.... Again with lots of curry powder.
For me...it tasted like a HUGELY improved 'Bombay Mix'.

I could eat handfuls of that, out of a cereal bowl.....I'd like to eat that again. :x :x :x

If any of you oiks like can get hold of that stuff.....let me know.

Cheers - Phil  :)

Ithoriel

Amazon can deliver so many versions of Chevda to your door you're spoiled for choice.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

There's a load of similar options in Asda and Tescos, never mind Amazon ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Techno II

Ta for that, Guys. :-bd

Some of those look like the stuff I was thinking of..

Cheers - Phil. :)

toxicpixie

Order one of everything, worth it to try and you have to keep your strength up!

Techno II

Quote from: toxicpixie on 10 October 2021, 11:18:29 AM
Order one of everything, worth it to try and you have to keep your strength up!

NO !......Nathan  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I had a good look in Tesco's, this fair morn........OOODLES of different variations of 'Bombay mix'.....But absolutely nothing like Rice Crispies covered in Curry powder. :x :x :x

Cheers - No taste buds R'Us ;)

toxicpixie

Oh dang! The ethnic foods isle in ours usually has a chewda/chevda style curried puffed rice thing...