Panic buying of petrol

Started by Steve J, 25 September 2021, 07:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

To be fair I've gone from voracious carnivore to maybe 80% veggie in the last few years so the mind control rays are clearly working...

Leman

Fear not, with the culling and burning of thousands of pigs on British farms there is clearly no shortage of meat. Apparently Boris Johnson is being driven to distraction by vegetarianism.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

Quote from: Leman on 08 October 2021, 09:02:06 AM
Fear not, with the culling and burning of thousands of pigs on British farms there is clearly no shortage of meat. Apparently Boris Johnson is being driven to distraction by vegetarianism.

"As the people who staff our food supply chain have gone back to the Continent, we no longer have any one to do proper vaguely safe animal slaugter. So we're just going to slaughter them wholesale and chuck them" is not the greatest of end results, is it.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Westmarcher

It's a pity the various UK butchers guilds and trade associations can't organise something to make sure that some or even the majority of these beasts can be butchered by their members on a voluntary basis and the meat frozen for both current and later distribution to people in need (e.g., those who rely on food banks, etc.).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

toxicpixie

Not so long ago we had thousands of abattoirs and slaughterhouses, semi-locally based.

They all got eaten and we're down to a tiny few massive industrial processing slaughterhouses.

Which now have no workers.

It's like if we were going to throw out everyone who staffs haulage we should have heavily invested in training new drivers three plus years ago. Same for nursing, social care, slaughterhouses, fruit picking, potato digging, etc etc etc.

There's literally no one can step in, hence suggestions that OAPs and prisoners drive trucks, the Army staffing hospitals, driving trucks, repalcing sacked firemen, outsourcing policing and prisons etc etc.

But we're veering into PvP there, however obvious the results and blame, so I'll quit :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

toxicpixie

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: Raider4 on 08 October 2021, 10:56:27 AM
Well, at least the horse racing people are making some effort to try & ensure we don't end up eating Shergar by mistake.

I had a cheval burger in La Belle France when on attachment to the 2RIMA back in the late '70s. Very gamey and tasty, as well as being much more healthy than most burgers...
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Raider4

Nowt intrinsically wrong with eating horse. It's the chemicals that race horses may contain that are the problem.

Heedless Horseman

Myself... just wouldn't! But, was amused over 'Sharpe's Waterloo'... with dead horse steak fry up in a Cuirrassier's breastplate... with animal fat Grease from an axle!  :)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Orcs

I am a carnivore - its not  a proper meal unless something has died. :)

However I think people would appreciate meat more  ( and be more likely to eat less of it ) if you had to kill and prepare your own meat, rather than picking it  up a plastic tray.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Westmarcher

Quote from: Ben Waterhouse on 08 October 2021, 12:36:25 PM
I had a cheval burger in La Belle France when on attachment to the 2RIMA back in the late '70s. Very gamey and tasty, as well as being much more healthy than most burgers...

Was that a mane course and did you feel foal up afterwards?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Ithoriel

When's the best time to plant a tree?

Thirty years ago.

When's the  second best time?

Right now.

We have, metaphorically, not planted trees and even if we plant them now we will not soon sit in their shade.

Not enough investment in housing, renewable energy, climate change mitigation, automation, etc., etc. is coming back to bite us.

"There may be trouble ahead"
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leon

I remember reading an article in National Geographic (I think?) about kangaroo being an ideal meat for farming, due to low feed costs, no methane production, etc.  There just didn't seem to be much appetite (!) for it globally.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

toxicpixie

It's not bad. I've had 'roo burger and steak and all I can recall is it wasn't bad.

So either inoffensively bland or exactly like beef/chicken/whatver it was close enough to I now can't differentiate!