Panic buying of petrol

Started by Steve J, 25 September 2021, 07:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

WOW! A Really 'wandering' thread! So, some random responses.... some 'contentious'...

Certainly possiible with present tech to replace a car battery in a 'robotic' station... just quicker, easier and cheaper to utilise humans.

Human population growth  has been the Greatest Threat... both to Humans... and 'The Planet'... but...just WHAT do you DO about it?
I was an 'Environmental Studies' graduate back in 80s... and just gave up on it. Either 'things' WILL get a Hell of a lot worse.. or they won't... and We are NOT going to 'like' either situation.

Britain had an Empire... and there were other Colonial powers. WE had the chance to DO things to SAVE THE WOULD... but we just gave it up to let Peoples live their own lives... and here we all are. In the ****. There were generations who KNEW that they were 'special'... for good or ill. Now... we're ALL in the ****.

Back to petrol...the craze for BIG 4x4s as 'second cars' is so B**** silly! But, Women seem to feel safer in them for the 'School Run' Give them a Mini... and they might not do the Stupid stuff that they do.

Another 4am Rant completed. Too Knackered to rant more! ;D
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

FierceKitty

A vasectomy is quick and cheap, and, while alarming, it doesn't hurt....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Heedless Horseman

29 September 2021, 06:39:29 AM #92 Last Edit: 29 September 2021, 06:54:37 AM by Heedless Horseman
Back to Student Days...  read of India. 70s/ 80s... raids on railway stations... with vasectomy for 'Low Caste'... like it or not. This in 'Scientific publications'... degree research for essays.
Now, sceptical... but possible.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

FierceKitty

I'm afraid there was a lot of that in the Great and Good Mrs Gandhi's Get Rid of Poverty ( = "Get rid of Poor People") drive. Ask any educated Indian who was around at the time. It set back real reform severely.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Norm

29 September 2021, 08:01:09 AM #94 Last Edit: 29 September 2021, 08:09:39 AM by Norm
Good experience at my garage today ...... Roll 2D6

Modifiers
+3 if your vehicle has a blue light
+2 for all the goodly people who are caring within the community for others and for vulnerable etc
+1 for business needs to keep the wheel on so to speak
+1 if you know who Pendraken are and have bought from them in the last 6 months
-1 if your tank is showing half or more full
-3 if you have a petrol guzzling vehicle, but need it to get the kids to school in a city environment, who go to school half a mile away!

Any score will get you £10 of fuel OR
8 or better will get you £25 of fuel OR
10+ allows £35 of fuel

Critical hits are double six gives you a full tank whatever that takes and double 1's means that in your panic, you have put diesel in the petrol and vice-versa.

It is so good, I'm hoping they keep this going even once we all realise that there is actually enough petrol for normal use!

Unfortunately, today I rolled raw double 1's, so I am waiting on the forecourt for the RAC rescue services to come and tow me away ... sometimes you just have to take your knocks and smile :D

Raider4

Quote from: Norm on 29 September 2021, 08:01:09 AM
Unfortunately, today I rolled raw double 1's, so I am waiting on the forecourt for the RAC rescue services to come and tow me away ... sometimes you just have to take your knocks and smile :D

Ahh, my father-in-law managed to do that a couple of years ago. Hopefully you realised before trying to drive off? He didn't . . .

Orcs

Quote from: Norm on 29 September 2021, 08:01:09 AM

I did that about 15 few years ago, and the tow truck driver said he did about 6 such mistakes a week. Its about time they made the nozzles a different size and shape so they would only fit in the correct type of fuel tank. ie Triangular for diesel and round for petrol
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Steve J

I thought newer cars had different sized holes for access to the petrol tank to prevent this from happening, or maybe I'm just imagining it? Lack of sleep last night to blame if it's the latter!

Glorfindel

Must admit that I feel quite pessimistic about the future as I really don't believe people will be willing to give up what they have
to benefit others (many of whom are not born yet).

Although I wouldn't like to live under an alternative, democracy doesn't help here as it ensures politicians just plan for the short
term, with the next vote in mind.   In addition, voters won't elect a new government on a promise of reducing standards of living
to benefit such a nebulous term as 'the future of the human race'.

Perhaps benevolent tyranny ?   However, wouldn't be long before this corrupts the ruling caste.

Phil

toxicpixie

It's not fuel shortage related, but more driver shortage related, but made me chuckle. If Scotland doesn't declare independence soon I'll be amazed...

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/york-was-sacked-for-less-irn-bru-fans-fizzing-with-anger-after-deliveries-hit-by-driver-shortage-292630/
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Raider4

Quote from: Steve J on 29 September 2021, 09:22:58 AM
I thought newer cars had different sized holes for access to the petrol tank to prevent this from happening, or maybe I'm just imagining it? Lack of sleep last night to blame if it's the latter!

Diesel pump nozzles are larger, so may not fit into your car's petrol filler.

The smaller petrol nozzles will always fit into a diesel car.

Diesel in a petrol engine shouldn't cause any damage, and once drained you should be fine.

Petrol in a diesel will almost certainly cause damage.

Information courtesy of the AA.

Gwydion

Quote from: mmcv on 28 September 2021, 05:18:12 PM

That's why I think the solutions will have to be technological, as people as a whole generally won't change their behaviours for abstract concepts, they will change their behaviours due to whatever is easiest and most convenient.
I agree. When I said the problem isn't technological, I meant the technology to solve the problems largely exists or is in development.
The problem is getting society to buy into its use, especially where it means changing ingrained social habits and expectations.

(Also continual harangues and bullying from Scandinavian children shouting 'do something' without any practical suggestions of what or how are less than helpful. Actually Greta has two - stop flying and go Vegan. Both of which might help a little: 2% and 14% of human related CO2 emissions respectively, but that leaves quite a lot unaddressed by the glue yourself to something brigade.)

mmcv

Quote from: Gwydion on 29 September 2021, 11:33:04 AM
I agree. When I said the problem isn't technological, I meant the technology to solve the problems largely exists or is in development.
The problem is getting society to buy into its use, especially where it means changing ingrained social habits and expectations.

(Also continual harangues and bullying from Scandinavian children shouting 'do something' without any practical suggestions of what or how are less than helpful. Actually Greta has two - stop flying and go Vegan. Both of which might help a little: 2% and 14% of human related CO2 emissions respectively, but that leaves quite a lot unaddressed by the glue yourself to something brigade.

I suppose those sorts of actions fall into the "raising awareness" category as even if it's bad publicity, it does raise the issue in the public consciousness and get people talking about it, which might lead to some people making better choices. If enough public consciousness shifts in a certain direction then it might help pressure the large organisations and governments who can actually make large scale differences.

flamingpig0

Quote from: toxicpixie on 29 September 2021, 09:44:34 AM
It's not fuel shortage related, but more driver shortage related, but made me chuckle. If Scotland doesn't declare independence soon I'll be amazed...

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/york-was-sacked-for-less-irn-bru-fans-fizzing-with-anger-after-deliveries-hit-by-driver-shortage-292630/

Parts of Glasgow have a  lower life expectancy than North Korea.
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Leon

29 September 2021, 01:49:52 PM #104 Last Edit: 29 September 2021, 01:54:21 PM by Leon
Quote from: FierceKitty on 29 September 2021, 05:33:32 AM
...it doesn't hurt....

I beg to differ...  :'(

Quote from: Raider4 on 29 September 2021, 10:59:58 AM
Diesel in a petrol engine shouldn't cause any damage, and once drained you should be fine.

Petrol in a diesel will almost certainly cause damage.

It depends how much I think.  Diesel in a petrol car suffers because the diesel needs a hotter starter/burn and the petrol engine can't cope with that.  

Petrol in a diesel car is OK as long as it's less than 50% and you can fill the rest of the tank with diesel.  I've made that mistake a couple of times and it'll run rough for a few days while you work through the petrol but afterwards it's fine again.  It doesn't half clean out your engine as well!

Quote from: mmcv on 29 September 2021, 01:21:52 PM
I suppose those sorts of actions fall into the "raising awareness" category as even if it's bad publicity, it does raise the issue in the public consciousness and get people talking about it, which might lead to some people making better choices. If enough public consciousness shifts in a certain direction then it might help pressure the large organisations and governments who can actually make large scale differences.

I think the problem with this is the misdirection that we constantly see.  Industry is far and away the biggest culprit for almost all aspects of environmental damage but they are never reined in as money is more important. 

I remember speaking to a guy in the sewage industry a few years back when they sent out all of those little kits for saving water in the home (putting a brick in your toilet cistern, boiling one cup of water at a time, etc).  He said that those things are helpful in a sense but when you've got industry wasting millions of gallons of water annually, or sewage systems that are draining into the water table because it's cheaper to pay the fine than fix the problem, you're always skirting around the real problem.  Until governments enforce legislation and fines that are actual punishments, nothing will really change.  They'll just keep pointing at the public and tell us to use a different lightbulb or clean our baked beans tin before we put it in the recycling.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!