Panic buying of petrol

Started by Steve J, 25 September 2021, 07:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Norm on 26 September 2021, 12:33:01 PM
Saw a funny joke on the phone.

It is a picture of a chalk board outside a pub, the top part said 'Beer about to tun out', the lower part said 'Panic buy here!, :-) very good.

That deserves a coat chewing - NOBBY !!!
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Norm

Quote from: Westmarcher on 26 September 2021, 12:40:34 PM
'tun out' - for beer, that's an apt typo!   :P

Anyway, what we really need to know is, "Where is this pub?"   We need to know.   Now!   :'( =P~ 

(pretty please)  :-[

Thanks - fixed, doh!

Gwydion

Apparently saying: 'Don't Panic!' doesn't work.

2/3 of petrol stations now empty!

Raider4

No one's panic buying, they're all just being sensible and prudent . . .

Techno II

What are you trying to say, Martyn ?  ;) ;D

It does seem to be very variable, area by area.

Cheers - Phil. :)

Raider4

Quote from: Techno II on 27 September 2021, 07:12:23 AM
What are you trying to say, Martyn ?  ;) ;D

It does seem to be very variable, area by area.

Cheers - Phil. :)

I may have been being slightly sarcastic . . .

But . . .

If you'd ask people "Are you panic buying?", I bet most would say "No, I'm just sensibly filling up before they run out.".

Although there are always idiots. I remember the last shortage (caused by a tanker driver's strike, I believe?), there was one local taxi driver found with three plastic bins full of diesel being stored in his house.

My car's almost empty. Luckily I don't have to use it for anything in the next couple of days. Hopefully things will return to normal soon.

Heedless Horseman

27 September 2021, 08:31:23 AM #36 Last Edit: 27 September 2021, 08:45:47 AM by Heedless Horseman
Quote from: Gwydion on 26 September 2021, 07:16:18 PM
Apparently saying: 'Don't Panic!' doesn't work.
2/3 of petrol stations now empty!

Probably same 'News' article'... from suppliers, (issues), and not time specific, Gather some places 'Ran out' until next delivery!
Local Tesco on Sunday... small queues, but not more than usual.. and they must have been queuing for something! Myself, 80% full... but don't have to drive to work, now. Not that bothered.

Raider... also remember reading about the Taxi driver storing petrol in Wheelie Bins! Wonder if they... or house, still there? LOL!

Myself... have six BIG  plastic cans ex work, next to Boiler... still marked 'Deionised Water'... so not to scare Gas engineer... But filled with Tap Water! lo,!  :d
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

DecemDave

Quote from: Raider4 on 26 September 2021, 07:55:00 PM

Thats how I rationalise having a 15 year stock of minis to paint......  Avoiding future increases in metal prices or the banning of single use plastic.

hammurabi70

Quote from: DecemDave on 27 September 2021, 08:38:28 AM
Thats how I rationalise having a 15 year stock of minis to paint......  Avoiding future increases in metal prices or the banning of single use plastic.

A novice! I am still working on purchases from the 1980s!

I think London is totally dry; last night on our 50-mile trip home every facility we passed displayed a NO FUEL sign.  What was really annoying was trying to negotiate the roads in the morning with everyone queuing for fuel.  Once all the car tanks are full we will, presumably, return to something nearer normality.  We can be a smug household as we no longer commute for work and a full tank does 80 trips to the mother-in-law but I think it true that those who really need fuel are just taking sensible precautions.  Which idiot suggested the media should have a DON'T PANIC headline?

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

But you are in the Netherlands - is there panic buying there ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Raider4 on 26 September 2021, 07:55:00 PM

Not all of them..

I am being sensible and prudent.
The others are panic buying.
The ones ahead of me in the queue are causing a crisis.

Leman

Quote from: Lord Kermit of Birkenhead on 27 September 2021, 11:43:06 AM
But you are in the Netherlands - is there panic buying there ?
Don't be silly, we're still in the EU with the right to freedom of movement. My downstairs neighbours are Bulgarians, on the next street live Austrians and Hungarians. Round the corner are Poles and the next corner are some Germans. Then scattered amongst the rest of us are the Surinamese, Indonesians (as a result of Dutch Empire), and the Eritreans, Syrians etc. because the Dutch don't regard asylum seekers as some kind of virus. Furthermore there is a love of HGVs in the Netherlands, so there appear to be plenty of things being hauled by lorries, plus the superb rail network and the huge canal and river network across Europe moving goods here and there. It would appear the news media are not keeping you informed that you are the only country experiencing such a crisis. That would be an admission that the Brexit experiment is not working.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

They had the Lithuanian haulier chap on the radio again this morning and they are still experiencing HGV driver shortages in the EU. No problems with fuel though!

Big Insect

Quote from: Leman on 27 September 2021, 11:19:02 AM
I've bought an electric car.

I was thinking of that - especially now our barking mad Mayor (Mad Marvin) is thinking of introducing a low emissions zone in Central Bristol & our little A2 wont comply. Said 'zone' would starts at the bottom of our road (but doesn't include ours - so we are not exempt) - but means that if we want to leave the road to go anywhere sensible (shops or just out of Bristol) we will have to enter the zone & either comply or pay each time!!!

However, as there is only on-road parking where I live, the charging of said electric car is going to be very tricky - as you can never guarantee to park outside your own house.
The bloke next door however - who has bought an electric car in advance of the new zone coming into force - has also installed a fantastic gadget - a bit like those large gantry type overhead swivel hoses, the sort of thing you see on oil rigs and fuel tankers. So he can park his car up to 4 doors away from his house and run a charging cable over the pavement above car and head-height out to his car to charge it. I am just waiting for this year crop of students to fix their eyes on this and either try and swing on it or cut it (for drunken amusement); or one day he'll forget and park it on the opposite side of the road and the bin lorry will carry it off as it gets tangled in it.

Like all such things - there is no joined up thinking in things these days.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.