Why we go abroad

Started by Orcs, 29 August 2021, 12:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

As the nights draw in, we have been looking at places for a holiday next year. I cannot believe the prices that some places  are now charging.

I accept there is an element of supply and demand, and that extra cleaning is required with Covid.  Even allowing for this some of the people renting are taking the complete p*ss.

The place we rented last September has increased charges by 6% , which is well above inflation but bearable. The place we stayed in May this year has put its prices up by 30% !!!!! How on earth can they justify that. There is no more cleaning required than last year, and even if their was Its certainly not £150 extra.  Its just pure greed.

Added to that they are now not allowing you in until 5pm and then want you out by 9am. So you loose almost a day. 

Contrastingly the places we have looked at in the USA or Europe are reasonable - The USA in particular has not put its prices up despite rental properties being made to have at least two clears days between rentals.

We can get 2 weeks in a Florida villa with its own pool, flights and a hire car for less than the accommodation over here - and the sunshine is guaranteed.

Then they wonder why people don't bother to go on holiday in this country. >:( >:(

Now where's my passport!

Rant Over 

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Poggle

I'll sound a note of caution over Florida. It's currently a hellhole for Covid Delta variant. The ICUs there are full.  :(

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Indeed keep away from the states atm, particularly deep south, very low take up on jabs.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

There was a Which? report in the last week or so with prices on average up 40% in the UK. Even pre-Covid we could get a family holiday with guaranteed sunshine for way less than anything comparable in the UK and that was during the peak rate of the Summer hols.

Ithoriel

Never understood the desire to go abroad for a holiday. Getting there and back is stressful, the accomodation is never as comfortable as being at home, the food is patchy.

Different weather? I can get three or four different types of weather in a day right here, thanks. :)

Meet new people? There are around six million people here and I've only met a tiny fraction of them.

To visit museums, art galleries, opera, theatre, international festivals, gardens, historic buildings and sites? All right here on my doorstep.

If you can get enough people to feel as I do the cost of foreign holidays will plummet. :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

DecemDave

I go abroad to augment my list of things to moan about.  Both while out there (heat, food, cockroaches, strange people,...  ) and on the way back - gatwick queues, litter on the roadsides, rain, food, flies, strange people,....)

T13A

Hi

Center parcs are frequently twice the price as soon as the school holidays kick in, but then again as long as people are willing to pay.......(and they do).

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

sultanbev

Quote from: Ithoriel on 29 August 2021, 03:18:43 PM
Never understood the desire to go abroad for a holiday. Getting there and back is stressful, the accomodation is never as comfortable as being at home, the food is patchy.

Different weather? I can get three or four different types of weather in a day right here, thanks. :)

Meet new people? There are around six million people here and I've only met a tiny fraction of them.

To visit museums, art galleries, opera, theatre, international festivals, gardens, historic buildings and sites? All right here on my doorstep.

If you can get enough people to feel as I do the cost of foreign holidays will plummet. :)

Yep, me too, not to mention that each passenger per jet flight has the same carbon emissions as 9000 African farmers for a year {Kevin Anderson, climate scientist, Tyndall Centre, University of Manchester}. Only been abroad once, that was enough flying for a lifetime. Never again. Although that one time I did find a Turkish bookshop and managed to spend over £100 on books, one with nearly all the Janissary regimental flags in colour :)

Rather than book expensive full weeks or fortnight holidays once a year, we tend to book short breaks every month, within 1-2 hours drive. Much more affordable, logistically easiler, and in 2-4 days you can't see everything you find in a region so a good excuse to go back again at a later date. And each B&B/pub-hotel we book has it's own good points. My partner uses Booking.com as you can cancel up to very short notice in most cases if there is a problem at the last minute. Doing the research and taking a chance on small independent businesses for accomodation can create a perfectly enjoyable holiday.

Does depend what you want from a holiday of course, and whether children are included, but it's a different approach that some might be able to consider.

Steve J

Friends of ours were due to visit their friends, but the hotel they usually used went from £40 per night to £120+ this Summer. So at present way more expensive than an overseas holiday, but completely get the carbon emissions thing of international flights.

steve_holmes_11

Quotemanaged to spend over £100 on books, one with nearly all the Janissary regimental flags in colour

THIS is why we travel.

sultanbev

Ithoriel

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 29 August 2021, 10:19:30 PM
THIS is why we travel.

You are aware you can buy book online, yes? ;)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leon

We'd planned to visit the fjords last November but that was obviously not possible and we're not keen on trying to book until Covid is well and truly under control.  We've tried looking about the UK for some short breaks but found the same as you, the prices have gone insane due to the pandemic.  We'll just have to wait until things get a bit more sensible but no idea when that'll be. 

I've not had more than a weekend off work for 3 1/2 years now so I could do with a bit of down time!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

FierceKitty

Lee's going stir-crazy in Bangkok since I showed her how much more there was out there. Maybe that's why she's been clobbering me recently.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.