Projects for 2022

Started by paulr, 29 August 2021, 08:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Congratulations Captain.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

I've done the first pass through the Japanese destroyers and am very pleasantly surprised that I have about half the destroyers or suitable sister ships :o :)

Next pass on the destroyers will involve working out what destroyers I haven't already used and which I can safely use more than once as they are in different parts of the campaign :-B @-)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sean66

Congratulations Captain.

Quote from: paulr on 30 August 2021, 09:51:41 AM
I've done the first pass through the Japanese destroyers and am very pleasantly surprised that I have about half the destroyers or suitable sister ships :o :)

Next pass on the destroyers will involve working out what destroyers I haven't already used and which I can safely use more than once as they are in different parts of the campaign :-B @-)

sounds like a good campaign cant wait for the reports.
my plans for 2022 is  :-  mostly doing my place in Bulgaria and possibly concentrating on Stalingrad. (also 80th Anniversary)
Regards
Sean

paulr

Started on the ABDA (American British Dutch Australian) order of battle to check we have all the major vessels required :-\

Pierre the Shy has all the British and some of the Dutch :)

pierre the shy

The way the campaign has been set up is quite interesting, the ABDA doesn't really have a chance to fully stop the Japanese advance, but slowing down the advance will mean that the level of the Japanese victory will be reduced. The ABDA players task is not easy, but with good planning (and a healthy dose of good luck) they can make the IJN work hard for an out and out victory.

We played the Solomons campaign from ODGW a couple of times so pretty au fait with how this one will run. Need to sort out all the ships and get out of the current COVID lockdown, so don't see this kicking off till early 2022 at least. I have the Dutch "what if" Scharnhorst style battlecruisers and ex HMS Tiger on the stocks at the moment, as well as some additional cruisers and RN destroyers....the ABDA will need every ship they can get and then some.... 
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Those what if's mean the ABDA is much more powerful than the imediate IJN forces - course if a couple of Japanese battle wagons turn up ....Interesting varient.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

I've surveyed my extensive unpainted lead pile.

2021/2 will likely involve a lot of painting, and some terrain updates.

I'm busily inventing reasons to NOT begin any new projects.
* Chain of Command (You need how many yards of wall and hedge???)
* Galleys and Galleons in the Indian Ocean (Absence of various sized Dhow, Prahu and Jonk ships, and cannot find a sea coloured mat with a fine square grid).
* Congo (Studio Tomahawk) in smaller scale (Cannot find a whole range with distinctive warriors and especially the important characters in the game).

Fear not: I have several hundred 15mm and almost a thousand 15mm figures in need of painting and basing.

FierceKitty

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 31 August 2021, 12:02:01 PM

Fear not: I have several hundred 15mm and almost a thousand 15mm figures in need of painting and basing.

That's like quoting salami prices in Tehran!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: FierceKitty on 31 August 2021, 12:08:21 PM
That's like quoting salami prices in Tehran!

Typo alert.

Should have typed - A couple hundred 15mms and almost a thousand 10mms.

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 31 August 2021, 12:29:30 PM
Typo alert.

That all ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

FierceKitty

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 31 August 2021, 12:29:30 PM
Typo alert.

The Ayatollah has decided that salami doesn't count as pork!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Completed the major vessel review of the ABDA (American British Dutch Australian) order of battle and we are looking good for the major vessels :)

Completed the next pass through the Japanese destroyers and I have enough given the campaign is split into two areas of operations for the Japanese so a destroyer model can act as a similar destroyer in each area. The largest Japanese force is limited to 16 destroyers more than double that :)

paulr

When I did the review of the ABDA destroyers we ended up short for the American and Dutch destroyers :-\

There were also some Japanese destroyers that it would be useful to have, particularly some of the 1920s destroyers that were also used as fast transports  :-B

So a while ago Pierre the Shy added a few ships of his own to the order and kindly visited his local Chemist and got them to send a fax to Navwar

Last night he handed over my share of the order:

• 1 US heavy cruiser
  • 10 US destroyers
  • 4 Dutch destroyers
  • 20 Japanese destroyers
:-[

I spent a while this afternoon working out which of the Japanese destroyers I would paint and label them up as I've only got at most a third of the ships of the various classes

I didn't need to do this for the Dutch or US as I have enough models for all the Dutch Admiralen class and all of US Destroyer Squadron 29

Last Hussar

I should really get cracking on the Imperial Guard little wooden men. Then the Bavarians. Then the Polish. I might have another bunch of France dressed Germans as well.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry