Anglo-Martian war and uniforms?

Started by ingw0, Today at 10:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ingw0

I'm in the process of pondering on a new Victorian-era project and, being as I have very little experience with the way British soldiers actually dressed throughout the period (aside from there being a lot of red and khaki), I'd love some advice from anyone who knows their stuff.

From what I can see, the uniforms used in the mid-part of the century were fairly similar, regardless of global location (ie Canada, India, Europe), and the only thing that seems to be vastly different over this period is the headwear. With this in mind, I'm wondering if Pendraken's Indian Mutiny infantry (the chaps in pork-pie hats) might serve equally well for, say, a Crimean War or home-service project? I do love the Crimean War range proper, but am wondering if other ranges might be a source for additional varied poses, to make my bases look really smart. The same goes for other ranges, such as the Fenian Raids and Zulu War.

I realise this question may be moot, given that the project I intend to use these figs for would be a WotW-style Anglo-Martian force (thereby chucking any semblance of historical accuracy out the window), but I'd be grateful to anyone who might be able to give me some pointers.

Cheers!
Current projects include:
Age of Steam Danish; Arthurians; ECW regiment of foote; Great War British; Middle Earth in 10mm; Napoleonic Austrians & Bavarians; Ratsburg pike and shotte; WW2 Defenders of France; WW2 8th Army

fred.

I think you have a lot of leeway here.

Firstly you can choose when within the Victorian era you want to set your games, and it sounds like earlier on suits. And you have the advantage of the British Empire which meant that many different uniforms where in use at the same time - Sudan campaigns being a good example where red coated units where next to khaki ones.

So for a WotW scenario it would be easy to conceive of imperial units being shipped back to Britain and they would retain their existing local uniforms.

Sounds a cool project!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fsn

Highlanders. That's the answer.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Big Insect

Quote from: fsn on Today at 01:02:48 PMHighlanders. That's the answer.

Hmmm ... not sure that a kilt and a tall feather bonnet are a good option in a lower-gravity environment, personally  :o
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

fsn

Quote from: Big Insect on Today at 02:48:40 PMHmmm ... not sure that a kilt and a tall feather bonnet are a good option in a lower-gravity environment, personally  :o

Oh! An indadvertent Khyber Pass manouevre? Yes, I see what you mean.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!