BKC Deployment Query (Facebook question)

Started by Big Insect, 10 August 2021, 09:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

QUESTION: Can someone advise me about deploying Inf Guns. On page 20 I am reading that they are exempt from deploy rules except for the 2 guns stated. On page 45 I am reading they all need to be deployed.

Reply 1
Heavy guns are towed on once deployed are fixed untill you spend actions to limber, move and unlimbers.
Man handled guns can move easier therefore not fixed. It's a bit cheesy as in reality the move would be reduced.

Reply 2
So does that mean heavier guns need to unlimber and then deploy?

Reply 1a
Deploy means they need to be towed on not just put into the table in situation.
The only other way is to set them up in your deployment zone and leave them there

Reply 3
Hmm. My copy of BKC4 is not the same as your copy. The relevant text on page 20 is not the same.

Reply 2a
What does yours say please? Mine was a pdf downloaded last week
I think the wording is very poor. No examples are supplied.
Basically infantry guns start each move stationary . In practice you can move them or direct fire them from where you start.
Towed guns you can't and come onto the table moving. In practice this means it unlimbers before firing or limbers before moving

Reply 1c
Page 76 special abilities
Any arty that has a move value can be manhandled. Others without move value are either deploy or can't move. . Technically you can tow an 88 into a final position and it stays there. The others can move by manhandling (my> -) or limbered / unlimbered with a transport. (Mv - and deploy ability)

Reply 1d
Because of how much the guns weigh turning them by hand is impossible, literally having to use a transport to alter their direction of fire. The 88 and bofors have a crank that you can turn 360°.

I am not on Facebook (& wont be joining) but this question and various answers (see above) have appeared on the BKC Facebook page - published here for the 'record'.

This is an on-going challenge with all the Commander sets and whilst we had hoped we'd corrected/clarified things in the BKCIV Errata, maybe we need to be a bit more specific.
I'll take a look at this specifically and respond in due course. However, the principle is as follows:

A). Artillery (Guns) in the lists that have a movement stat against them are by definition either guns that can be man-handled (Infantry Guns) or are Self-Propelled guns. These moves are reduced for man-handled guns, as compared with SP-Guns. To move a man-handled gun further it will need to be towed - and so the Deploy move must be used.

B ). Those on-table Artillery units (Guns) that have no movement stats, will need some sort of tows to move them - no matter how small the distance. These tows need to be bought separately. These guns need to use the Deploy rule to allow them to be moved (by their tows). Once attached to their tows, they move at the rate of the tow.

C). Some degree of movement or realignment of all Artillery unit is catered for by the Angle of Fire available to on-table artillery units. Some specific named Artillery units have more restricted or wider arcs of fire than the norm. These are highlighted specifically in the Army lists or rules.

Many thanks

Mark

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Itinerant Hobbyist

Thank you for taking time to answer it here.

Even as the creator of the FB group I totally understand why someone wouldn't join.

Inactive

Quote from: Itinerant Hobbyist on 06 September 2021, 02:49:02 PMThank you for taking time to answer it here.

Even as the creator of the FB group I totally understand why someone wouldn't join.

Is the FB Group still even active?  I submitted a join request a few days ago but heard nothing back.  Gives the impression it's dead.

Big Insect

Sorry - I cannot help you there - as I don't 'do' Facebook.
Thanks
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Leon

Quote from: Atilla on 21 April 2022, 03:31:55 AMIs the FB Group still even active?  I submitted a join request a few days ago but heard nothing back.  Gives the impression it's dead.

Which group is that?  If it's the BKC Fan group then it's not run by us I'm afraid so it would need one of the Admin's to accept your join request. 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Inactive

Yeah, no worries both, appreciate that.  I mainly posted the reply here as I think the admin is a member here and thought if he saw the post it might prompt him to check the outstanding join requests.  Often happens with FB though, people get an interest, start a group, then lose interest and move on, then the group is just stuck in limbo and eventually dies.  It's no big deal as it doesn't seem that it gets a lot of traffic and I far prefer forums anyway.

Leon

Quote from: Atilla on 23 April 2022, 12:56:14 AMYeah, no worries both, appreciate that.  I mainly posted the reply here as I think the admin is a member here and thought if he saw the post it might prompt him to check the outstanding join requests.  Often happens with FB though, people get an interest, start a group, then lose interest and move on, then the group is just stuck in limbo and eventually dies.  It's no big deal as it doesn't seem that it gets a lot of traffic and I far prefer forums anyway.

You're right on the activity levels, it all depends on the admin and how much time they can put to it.  The Cold War Fan Group on FB is extremely active and has a lot of solid info/posts.  It might be worth the BKC group adding a few more admins to accept the join requests a bit quicker.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Inactive

Quote from: Leon on 23 April 2022, 01:21:30 AMYou're right on the activity levels, it all depends on the admin and how much time they can put to it.  The Cold War Fan Group on FB is extremely active and has a lot of solid info/posts.  It might be worth the BKC group adding a few more admins to accept the join requests a bit quicker.

Yes, from what I can see there's only one Admin on the group which leaves it even more at risk if that person doesn't remain active or interesting.  I tend to stay out of FB Groups unless they are particularly good as they inevitably become, by and large, picture galleries.  Of course there's a place for that too but wading through pages of images to find any discussion becomes tiresome and the search on FB is worse than abysmal.  I used to like TMP before it became quite toxic, ditched it mostly after Allen Curtiss sadly passed away (an ex US military guy and a frequent poster on all things ancient and WW2) and particularly after the spat between TMP and a well know rules publisher. All of course, completely off topic  ;D

Leon

I prefer Forums as well, everything is so much easier to find and it's a lot easier to follow a discussion.  Most of the social media sites are very 'right now!' in their approach so conversations are lost quickly.

Me and Adele have a regular debate as she watches a lot of Instagram 'Stories', which she thinks I should be doing more of for Pendraken.  But they're only visible for 24 hours and I can't see the point of putting something out there that will disappear before the majority of our audience has seen it.

Itinerant Hobbyist

I just saw this post. I was the only admin, and I tried to make it so others could approve people. It was fairly active and I would pin posts, etc, change to cover photo, and then I was booted out of the group and now some unknown is the admin. I can't figure out how to become the owner again.

Makes me sad because I put a lot of energy behind it, grew it and then, poof...fortunately I was able to get back in there. But I asked the current "admin" to make the admin again, but I guess it was just a bot.