Light Brigade Lancers

Started by Heedless Horseman, 05 August 2021, 04:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

Please forgive ignorance but... for many years, I have been under the impression that the Brit Cav included the '17th/21st Lancers'. I had . sort of, thought that this might have been an 'early'  'amalgamation', or a mixture of 'Detachments'... or 'possibly', both regiments, though, numbers suggest not. Googling, I now see only the 17th mentioned. So, no 21st? Were the mentions of '17th/21st' a result of the later amalgamation? Or am I missing something?

Some things read also 'bracket' the light Dragoon / Hussar regiments... just 'lazy' writing (?)  as I recognise individual regiments as being present ? A bit unclear.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Scorpio_Rocks

From Wiki:
The 21st Lancers (Empress of India's) was a cavalry regiment of the British Army, raised in 1858 and amalgamated with the 17th Lancers in 1922 to form the 17th/21st Lancers. Perhaps its most famous engagement was the Battle of Omdurman, where Winston Churchill (then an officer of the 4th Hussars), rode with the unit.

So the regiment which took part in the Crimea was the 17th. People then (perhaps lazily) later writing about it used the then current amalgamated nomenclature 17th/21st
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

It can be very difficult to keep track of which British regiment is which due to all the amalgamations.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

These days though it doesn't really matter. Just paint it brown and call it Regiment 1.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ben Waterhouse

All British Lancer regiments have been amalgamated into the Royal Lancers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Lancers
Arma Pacis Fulcra

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Scorpio_Rocks on 05 August 2021, 07:52:16 AM
From Wiki:
The 21st Lancers (Empress of India's) was a cavalry regiment of the British Army, raised in 1858 and amalgamated with the 17th Lancers in 1922 to form the 17th/21st Lancers. Perhaps its most famous engagement was the Battle of Omdurman, where Winston Churchill (then an officer of the 4th Hussars), rode with the unit.

So the regiment which took part in the Crimea was the 17th. People then (perhaps lazily) later writing about it used the then current amalgamated nomenclature 17th/21st

A certain type of search will show Balaclava or Crimea on the 17/21 battle honours.
It's easy to conclude that both units were there.

The matter of Hussars / Light Dragoons is rather easier.
At a time when all British cavalry were Dragoons, Dragoon Guards or Guards, all the lights were Light Dragoons.
Those who went in for some fancy tailoring remained Light Dragoons on the list, but looked like, and were often called Hussars.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Lord Kermit of Birkenhead on 05 August 2021, 08:15:53 AM
It can be very difficult to keep track of which British regiment is which due to all the amalgamations.

What better way to confuse the shabby nazi spies.

fsn

Oh for the Sake of Milady's Dimpled Elbows!!

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Heedless Horseman

05 August 2021, 05:00:13 PM #9 Last Edit: 05 August 2021, 05:56:38 PM by Heedless Horseman
'Slaps Head'! Had forgotten that it was actually the 27th Lancers! :o Makes things a lot easier!  ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Charge_of_the_Light_Brigade_(1936_film)
Click on 'Did You Mean' title... as direct link does not seem to work

However, I find that I have great difficulty watching 'the charge', having heard of the equine Carnage in its making.  :'(
Appreciation to Errol Flynn.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)