Siege Artillery

Started by fsn, 28 July 2021, 08:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Gentlemen.

I have been listening to tales of the Peninsular Campaigns and the many sieges. This got me pondering a siege game, which got me pondering siege artillery.

I'm thinking of using the SYW mortars and possibly the 24pdr siege guns from the Indian Mutiny ranges. Since I don't anticipate many siege games, I'm planning to use crew in shirtsleeves, to which I would leave space for one uniformed officer. The intention being to use the same guns for pretty much any army and so save time, money and space.

I think the SYW crews are a good start - does anyone have a better suggestion?     
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The Franco-Prussian range has some mighty seige guns. None suitable for nappies I'm afraid!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

DecemDave

FPX1 working party have shirt sleeves.
We dont have full pics of the non-kickstarter range yet so there might be usable figures to come in the spanish or civilian ranges? 
The British field artillery I just received are uniformed and very nice too. 
Perhaps theres a way of building a base of the 24pdr  with removable crew?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

maybe a 12 or 15mm gun might work there on a 10mm carraige.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Westmarcher

I know you prefer to write your own rules but there is a fairly recently released Siege Rule set called Vauban's Wars that I understand you can play with almost any tactical 'field' rules. Here's a link to the rules (perhaps, even, the headings will provide some ideas)(plus I have the old Koenig Krieg Siege rules if you want them).

https://dinofbattle.blogspot.com/p/vaubans-wars.html

As for SYW, the waistcoats are slightly long for Naps but easy enough to shave off pigtails and if you mix them with a few national uniforms and any figs suggested by the other guys it should work. Guessing here but aren't guns supplied with crews (bloody autocorrect changed it to 'cows'  :o ) so you'll have a few national uniforms anyway unless you order solely SYW packs?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Chris Pringle

A 24pdr siege gun discharging must create a powerful cloud of smoke. If you just shroud the gun in cotton wool, maybe that would solve your figure problem?  ;)

Chris I suspect that the smoke would be forward of the gun due to the blast, so possibly not workable.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Lord Kermit of Birkenhead on 29 July 2021, 11:56:20 AM
Chris I suspect that the smoke would be forward of the gun due to the blast, so possibly not workable.

I know the smoke comes out at the front. It wasn't an entirely serious suggestion. But if we want to take it seriously: well, if fsn can specify the model represents the minute after the gun fires, he can also specify the wind direction, can't he?

Big Insect

Quote from: Chris Pringle on 29 July 2021, 01:11:12 PM
I know the smoke comes out at the front. It wasn't an entirely serious suggestion. But if we want to take it seriously: well, if fsn can specify the model represents the minute after the gun fires, he can also specify the wind direction, can't he?

I suspect that the massive shock of firing the gun on a dusty ground would also generate clouds of raised dust as well as the smoke from the actual charge.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

sultanbev

If I recall rightly I bought the guns in the older 1812 French and Austrian ranges and they are huge, suitable for 16pdr or 24pdr siege guns - item NFM10, and NMA14 for the Austrians.
I think I emailled Leon about it but can't find the email now.

fsn

Quote from: DecemDave on 29 July 2021, 09:17:10 AM
FPX1 working party have shirt sleeves.
Good shout!

Quote from: sultanbev on 29 July 2021, 04:53:19 PM
If I recall rightly I bought the guns in the older 1812 French and Austrian ranges and they are huge, suitable for 16pdr or 24pdr siege guns - item NFM10, and NMA14 for the Austrians.
Also a good shout!

Thank you Gentlemen.
Remember "The Pride and the Prejudice"? This gun I think is about a 2,000lb gun.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

DecemDave

Not only remember.  This is from my May 2020 nonkickstarter wishlist

PS I haven't checked through the existing catalog yet but when your sculptor gets the time/the funding goes way over my lads will also need mules, carts, hand carts, Spanish and civilian casualties, and a Frank Sinatra look alike to ride a 20mm range gun

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: DecemDave on 29 July 2021, 08:59:06 PM
Not only remember.  This is from my May 2020 nonkickstarter wishlist

PS I haven't checked through the existing catalog yet but when your sculptor gets the time/the funding goes way over my lads will also need mules, carts, hand carts, Spanish and civilian casualties, and a Frank Sinatra look alike to ride a 20mm range gun

I can't see a gun....
Arma Pacis Fulcra

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Ben Waterhouse on 29 July 2021, 09:11:41 PM
I can't see a gun....

Nor I, though I'd estimate the ammunition's D-cup calibre.

Ithoriel

Quote from: fsn on 29 July 2021, 08:10:10 PM
Remember "The Pride and the Prejudice"? This gun I think is about a 2,000lb gun.

Looks like a pair of 38's to me.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data