O Group Ecenarios

Started by Orcs, 25 January 2022, 08:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Has anyone tried the "O" Group rules from Two fat Lardies?

I am interested on how transferable to BKC scenarios written for "O" Group would be
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Steve J

I can't see any reason why not. You'd probably have to adjust the number of infantry units, as generally BKC works at one base equals a platoon, whereas 'O' Group works at one base equals a section.

fred.

O Group is a good set of rules - very different to BKC

Scenarios should work fairly well - you either squint and just count number of bases, and don't care too much if they are sections (O Group) or platoons (BKC). We have done this with some Rapid Fire scenarios - basically taking a RF battalion, and calling it an O group Platoon - supports map across at 1:1.  I think RF scenarios are quite bath-tubbed to start with. 

Probably more of a consideration is maps, as a BKC scenario map is likely to cover a couple of villages etc. But in O Group 1 village would be quite enough, but you could just declare the others farms or single houses. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

T13A

Hi

Good set of rules that actually do 'what they say on the tin'. You are very much in the position of a battalion commander and making the kind of decisions that a battalion commander would have to make. Emphasis is on command and control and not on the minutiea of individual unit 'stats'. Well written and easy to pick up (and well supported on the Too Fat lardies website); so far I have only played them solo but they would be even better when playing an opponent.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Orcs

Thanks guys. I don't have the rules - yeyt.  They have a nice book of scenarios on the Early war, so  looks like it might well be useful.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fred.

Read your question the wrong way round 

I've got the O Group France 1940 PDF and its a nice document - but quite O Group specific, not sure how useful the scenarios would be for BKC, probably a bit infantry centric if you port across directly. And a fair bit of the document is around force lists and special rules. 

I like if for O Group - not sure I'd recommend it for BKC though. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Orcs

Thanks Fred, then its probably not for me.

henjed

Funnily enough, I have just played the first two Fall of France 1940 scenarios for O Group. 

When I decided how to base the figures, I opted for something that allowed me to put two O Group section bases together to form a BKC platoon base, so I could play with both sets of rules (I play BKC at the moment just for Desert War 1940-41, at platoon=stand level). I plan shortly to base a BKC game on the first scenario and see how differently it runs. The ground-scale is of course different in BKC, in respect of the map-size (from memory one ground-scale is about half the other?), and O Group uses relatively small amounts of armour (although scenario three, Montcornet, is relatively armour-heavy).

I'll let you know what I decide to do and whether I feel it works or not. I hadn't thought of using the BKC rules to have each stand as a section rather than a platoon, and each tank model as an individual AFV, but that might work too.

I don't think I would have bought Fall of France only to convert it to BKC - but as I am using it for O Group it makes sense to see if it works for another set of rules.

Mike

Raider4

QuoteI hadn't thought of using the BKC rules to have each stand as a section rather than a platoon, and each tank model as an individual AFV, but that might work too.

That's how I did it, back in the day. The points for tanks didn't make any sense otherwise.