League of Augsburg Tricornes

Started by Wealdmaster, 22 July 2021, 04:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wealdmaster

I love this range!  Delicate and intricate yet realistic sculpting that lends a degree of grace to this era of rapid paced tactical evolution.  The only thing missing is tricorne troops!  Nations quickly adopted tricornes through the 1690s.  Musketeers in tricorne, with cartridge pouch, and fusil (flintlock) not 12 apostles would be great.  Then, some pikemen and cavalry.  They would be very universal.

Techno II

And.....as that was your first post, Wealdmaster....A very warm welcome to the forum.

Cheers - Phil. :)

Chad

I think it depends On which army you intend to build on both counts.

Steve J

Welcome to the forum and I agree that the range is superb.

mmcv

Welcome!

The Malburian and Great Nothern War ranges have Tricorns aplenty and might fit that 1690s/1700s+ period you're looking for:

https://www.pendraken.co.uk/marlburian-572-c.asp

https://www.pendraken.co.uk/great-northern-war-573-c.asp

Wealdmaster

Correct, but I think these ranges are not in the same sculpting style and therefore poor fits with the LoA range; especially the horses with cavalry.

mmcv

toxicpixie

Quote from: Wealdmaster on 22 July 2021, 08:09:18 PM
Correct, but I think these ranges are not in the same sculpting style and therefore poor fits with the LoA range; especially the horses with cavalry.

I don't mix them in the same unit/on the same base, but they do look decent on tale together.

In fact my LoA Confederates are pretty much entirely LoA figures and often fight my WSS French, in any time period from 1680's to 1715 :D

Which I now will get people frothing about it being the same as using WW1 infantry against WW2 infantry etc, but hey. If the LoA range was available when I started the WSS I'd probably have just done LoA instead :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Orcs

Quote from: toxicpixie on 23 July 2021, 11:06:13 AM
Which I now will get people frothing about it being the same as using WW1 infantry against WW2 infantry etc, but hey. If the LoA range was available when I started the WSS I'd probably have just done LoA instead :D

No frothing from me. While I like things to be correct, a unit on the table is whatever my opponent says it is. At club we have had Bren carriers masquerading as Matilda 2's, Napoleonic Austrians standing in for Russian when someone brought the wrong box of figures.

I would challenge any "expert" to pick out the differences of a WW1 figure in a greatcoat from a similarly dressed WW2 figure at 200 yards, which is probably the minimum if the scale of the figure is taken into account
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

Oh yes, and hello Wealdmaster!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

toxicpixie

Quote from: Orcs on 23 July 2021, 11:24:45 AM
No frothing from me. While I like things to be correct, a unit on the table is whatever my opponent says it is. At club we have had Bren carriers masquerading as Matilda 2's, Napoleonic Austrians standing in for Russian when someone brought the wrong box of figures.

I would challenge any "expert" to pick out the differences of a WW1 figure in a greatcoat from a similarly dressed WW2 figure at 200 yards, which is probably the minimum if the scale of the figure is taken into account

Pretty much my thoughts, though I might try and proxy a tank with a tank unless I was well pushed :D

One thing I often say when people are complaining about small differences on figures is the same - when someones shooting at you and the shells are flying, one X looks very like another X no matter what they're wearing. Came up in a discussion on "what should my WW2 Hungarians look like and can I paint close ish German figures in a browner colour?". Whadda ya think MINE are repuprosed from :D

hammurabi70

While I see no problem with using figures as proxies it seems very reasonable to complete a figure as intended, doing it as well and as accurately as one can. Otherwise one might as well be using Kriegsspiel blocks, quicker and easier to get to the table and universally applicable.

Orcs

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 23 July 2021, 12:28:25 PM
While I see no problem with using figures as proxies it seems very reasonable to complete a figure as intended, doing it as well and as accurately as one can. Otherwise one might as well be using Kriegsspiel blocks, quicker and easier to get to the table and universally applicable.

We were playing a Chain of Command league at club and were trying to get everyone involved as cliques had started to form. Consequently we had players putting their platoons and support together while the league was running. They wanted to actually use the stuff hey had just painted. So things like Bren carriers proxied for Matildas happened.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

John Cook

24 July 2021, 02:10:02 AM #14 Last Edit: 24 July 2021, 02:13:17 AM by John Cook
Quote from: hammurabi70 on 23 July 2021, 12:28:25 PM

People can, of course, do pretty much as they please but I agree with you.  If the game is the be-all and end-all, then I can see why it might be done, but, for me, the game is just part of the entire wargaming experience.  I would find using Carriers for Matildas something which would detract entirely from the illusion and deeply unsatisfying.  Not much point Pendraken producing 16 versions of the Sherman, it would seem.