Holiday in Morpeth - recommendations?

Started by Elliesdad, 18 July 2021, 05:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elliesdad

We've booked a holiday in Morpeth at Easter 2022 and I wondered if anyone can recommend "stuff to see and do" nearby.

On previous trips between Yorkshire and the Scottish Borders I've already visited all the "big" castles in Northumberland but now, rather than travelling through the area, we're staying for a week in Morpeth. I'm mostly interested in smaller ruined castles (and not stately homes and such like).
Can any of you guys recommend any castle ruins to visit? That way I can research specific castles before the visit, to make sure they are "worth the trip".

Rather than just me, or me and my wife, I will now have to make sure there's something for everyone (12 of us, plus our two Jack Russell's). I'm sure we can take turns entertaining the dogs where necessary. We'll have 3+ cars anyway.

Other interests - books and food. I'm already intending an extended browse at Barter Books in Alnwick. And they have a lovely in-house cafe too. 😋
I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty of trips to decent restaurants, ice cream parlours etc.

Anyhow, if you have any recommendations - whether it's small/ruined castles, bookshops or eateries - please let me know. Sadly, the days of there being such a thing as "Wargames shops" seem to be very much a thing of the past but, again, I'd be delighted to discover otherwise.

Many thanks,

Geoff

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

slugbalancer

Bamburgh Castle is a must.  Visit Hadrians Wall and then Vindolanda, remains of a Roman fort.  Also the Roman army museum not far from Vindolanda, where you can walk up to the wall itself.  Alnwick castle and gardens are well worth a visit.

Elliesdad

I've already been to Bamburgh (in 2019). I will try the Roman wall and fort, but it's mostly medieval castles that I'm after.
I've checked Wikipedia and see I have already visited all the big/impressive castles and a fair few of the smaller ones (mostly ignoring those that morphed into stately homes), especially those near the A1 road.

So far, I have earmarked Mitford Castle and Prudhoe Castle.
I'd also like to see Thirlwall Castle, but it does seem a fair distance away from Morpeth where we're staying and the map doesn't seem to suggest much else to make the journey worthwhile. Well, worthwhile to those who have no interest in ruined castles anyway... they would probably prefer the seaside, fish & chips and ice cream.

I'm always open to bookshop recommendations too, but suspect there's unlikely to be anything to top Barter Books at Alnwick. I'd love you guys to prove me wrong. 😉

slugbalancer

A couple of NT properties worth visiting
Cragside, A Victorian country house. It was the home of William Armstrong, founder of the Armstrong Whitworth armaments company.
Wallington, a country house and gardens.

Westmarcher

18 July 2021, 08:05:44 PM #5 Last Edit: 18 July 2021, 08:28:50 PM by Westmarcher
I recommend English Heritage as your "go to" source for ideas. As well as "the big castles" (which we have to guess - e.g., Alnwick, Wark, Bamburgh &, although a fortress town, Berwick?), there's loads of smaller ones. For example, Norham and Etal from the Flodden campaign (the latter having a small museum with arms and standards). If Early Medieval is also an interest, there's Lindisfarne on Holy Island, scene of the infamous viking raid in 793, where there is a tiny castle (just be wary of the tides or you could end up being stranded for longer than you planned). Lanercost Priory where the terminally ill Edward I spent his last days before dying at Burgh by Sands on his last campaign against the Scots is somewhere along The Wall (which, as has been suggested, along with its forts, is a great visit).

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk  
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

kustenjaeger

Elliesdad

Quote from: Westmarcher on 18 July 2021, 08:05:44 PM
I recommend English Heritage as your "go to" source for ideas. As well as "the big castles" (which we have to guess - e.g., Alnwick, Wark, Bamburgh &, although a fortress town, Berwick?), there's loads of smaller ones. For example, Norham and Etal from the Flodden campaign (the latter having a small museum with arms and standards). If Early Medieval is also an interest, there's Lindisfarne on Holy Island, scene of the infamous viking raid in 793, where there is a tiny castle (just be wary of the tides or you could end up being stranded for longer than you planned). Lanercost Priory where the terminally ill Edward I spent his last days before dying at Burgh by Sands on his last campaign against the Scots is somewhere along The Wall (which, as has been suggested, along with its forts, is a great visit).

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk  

Strangely enough it was a visit to Etal castle that first got me hooked on ruined castles.
I was in a play-by-mail campaign - JimKemeny's "Tweedia", which was advertised in the Solo Wargamers Association magazine Lone Warrior. I played Alencon d'Etal, Grand Master of the Knights Templar.
A number of the castles in the game were based on castles in Northumberland & the Scottish Borders and so I did a research trip. A lovely few days visiting castles. Those were the days...

Geoff

Elliesdad

Quote from: kustenjaeger on 18 July 2021, 09:03:12 PM
Have you seen Dunstanburgh?

Edward

Yes. Dunstanburgh was lovely - though my wife was less impressed with the lengthy trek across the sand to get to the castle.
A nice ice cream went some way towards 'improving her mood' when we finally got back to the car park.

Geoff

fred.

18 July 2021, 09:33:39 PM #9 Last Edit: 18 July 2021, 09:50:37 PM by fred.
I think most of the main ones have been mentioned.

I'd throw in North Tynemouth Abby, which has a 3 for 1, with the castle, the abbey and a more modern costal fort all on the same site. And lots of good cafes to hand, and the beach in a cove too.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

19 July 2021, 01:34:56 AM #10 Last Edit: 19 July 2021, 01:40:25 AM by Ithoriel
I'll throw in Housteads Auxilia fort, Chesters fort and Corbridge all on Hadrian's Wall as alternatives or additions. From Houseteads you can follow the wall to the remains of a milecastle while also appreciating the stunning landscape.

I'll second Cragside as worth a visit.

It's just under 40 miles from Morpeth to The National Museum of the Royal Navy in Hartlepool with an authentic 18th century seaport and the spectacular HMS Trincomalee. Which I heartily recommend.

Wherever you wind up going I hope you have fun.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

Barnard Castle isn't far away. Good place for a day trip, I hear.

Leon

Vindolanda and the Roman Army Museum are both excellent and recommended.  If you come out of the museum and drive north for 100 yards there's a little car park where you can walk up to Hadrian's Wall and get some nice views right across to Cumbria and the sea. 

Warkworth, Bamburgh, Alnwick are all great but obviously more commonly visited.  One that we spotted once was Edlingham Castle, halfway between Rothbury and Alnwick.  it's free access with parking in the local church: https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/edlingham-castle/
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Elliesdad

Quote from: Raider4 on 19 July 2021, 08:32:37 AM
Barnard Castle isn't far away. Good place for a day trip, I hear.

We've been to Barnard Castle before and I don't recollect much to tempt me to go back.
I'll maybe check the internet and see what's there. The relatives would almost certainly prefer sea, sand, fish & chips and ice cream.
If only BoJo had a friend/acquaintance/advisor to give me some tips...

Geoff

Elliesdad

Quote from: Leon on 19 July 2021, 01:05:52 PM
Vindolanda and the Roman Army Museum are both excellent and recommended.  If you come out of the museum and drive north for 100 yards there's a little car park where you can walk up to Hadrian's Wall and get some nice views right across to Cumbria and the sea. 

Warkworth, Bamburgh, Alnwick are all great but obviously more commonly visited.  One that we spotted once was Edlingham Castle, halfway between Rothbury and Alnwick.  it's free access with parking in the local church: https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/edlingham-castle/

We visited Edlingham on the way back from our last trip (buying books in Alnwick was the #1 priority) so that one is ticked off the list.

As much as anything I just wondered if "locals" knew of anything obscure that maybe doesn't get widespread attention.

Geoff