Windows 11

Started by Steve J, 24 June 2021, 07:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

There was an issue with one of the government's "right to remain" type documents, which should run for ten years, expiring on 31st Dec 2024 instead because of this, iirc.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Orcs

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 30 June 2021, 09:31:40 AM
Most* computer clocks now hold a 64 bit number, and that covers us for the next half-trillion years.

Thats good news, as I will still only be halfway down my lead mountain by then  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

KeithS

Quote from: KeithS on 25 June 2021, 01:40:56 PMOne reason for upgrading sooner rather than later is that initially the upgrade will be free, whereas if you leave the upgrade until later it might require a paid upgrade.  Having said that I have just run the upgrade check on my PC, a top of the line one bought less than 2 years ago that FAR exceeds the various hardware requirements.  I was surprised to find that my PC did not fulfil the requirements for the upgrade.  I eventually tracked this down to not having TPM (Trusted Platform Module) 2.0 turned on.  This is a chip that may or may not be present on your motherboard and from what I can see there is a fair chance that it wont be, but that Microsoft have decided in their wisdom(!?) that it should be a requirement for Windows 11.  Apparently if it is present it needs to be enabled in the BIOS and I haven't plucked up the energy to go ferreting around to see if it is there.  So for the moment I am happy to stick with Windows 10, but God I hate Microsopft.

All might not be lost, although the requirement is for a TPM chip, most modern PCs can emulate the chip in BIOS/firmware so you probably just need to turn the BIOS emulation on rather than install a new chip.
I'll bring up the rest of the brigade.

Leman

I don't understand these effing things and doubt I ever will. I may well just abandon the whole bloody thing and stick to reading books. And yes, my 18 month old Lenovo runs on windows 10 and yes there always seems to be a problem with my microsoft account no matter how many times I have rectified it and changed my password.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Orcs

Rules for using Microsoft products.

1. Avoid upgrading or installing any Microsoft product if at all possible.

2. Ask Yourself  "Does it add anything that I actually want to do?"
 If Yes, check that product is at least 18 months past its official release date. If its not see rule 1
 If No see rule 1

3. Once you have installed the 18 month old Microsoft Software accept that one of its "New Features" that you have no need for and never will have a need for.  will Totally F**K Up your system at some point in the first month of use and you will spend an entire evening sorting your system out. If you do not want this see rule 1 

4 Be aware that there is a 95% chance that on the occurrence of rule 3 you will wish you had never installed/upgraded the Microsoft product. and you realize that you should have obeyed Rule 1

:)

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

Well at least I've steered clear of the Edge. Much prefer Bono.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!