What has happened to the forum?

Started by mollinary, 15 June 2021, 11:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

Quote from: streetgang on 28 June 2021, 04:00:55 AM
I can't find any of the photos sections in the forum. The layout looks different as well...

Same for me.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: Lord Kermit of Birkenhead on 18 June 2021, 01:35:32 PM
Stop bullying the junior ranks Graham

I am sorry,  I thought the reason to get promotion was so you could buy the other ranks, up to and including "waterboarding"  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

streetgang

Quote from: mmcv on 28 June 2021, 08:43:38 AM
Can you access it through a direct link to the board?

Examples:

Photos: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/board,8.0.html

18th C: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/board,52.0.html

Oddly enough, for the photos link I get "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you." but the 18th century link works. None of these links are visibly seen however on my main board. I am using Google Chrome and frequently clear my cache.
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2021 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Winner!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

Streetgang,  I get exactly the same result .

mmcv

What if you open the links in an incognito window? That way there'd be no caching or logins at play. You can right click on the link > open in incognito window.

Might be something about your logins has gotten corrupted and locked you out of certain areas! If you can access it in incognito mode (where it'll be signed out and publically available) then that would indicate a user specific issue. Not sure if the users can be configured with permissions to certain areas? One for the admin/moderators perhaps.

mollinary

Sorry, but what is "an incognito window"?   :o :o

Ithoriel

Quote from: mollinary on 29 June 2021, 01:44:02 PM
Sorry, but what is "an incognito window"?   :o :o

One where you are not identified to the site
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

Yeah, it basically opens up a new window without any caching or cookies or login details or the like, and doesn't save any history. It's handy for if you want to browse without leaving any trace on your computer of it (though will still be a trace on the actual ISP so it's not fully private) but means you can see how things would look to someone who was maybe running on a different computer.

It's also used for people perhaps wishing to do some browsing they don't want their significant others seeing...ahem.

You can right click on a link and open it from there or access it from the menu (or Ctrl+Shift+N in Chrome at least).

mollinary

What I do not understand is why I should have to jump through hoops I didn't have to negotiate previously?  The IPad Air is hardly an esoteric piece of kit, so why the sudden change?  HELP!

Leon

Quote from: mollinary on 20 July 2021, 07:03:51 PM
What I do not understand is why I should have to jump through hoops I didn't have to negotiate previously?  The IPad Air is hardly an esoteric piece of kit, so why the sudden change?  HELP!

I'm not quite sure what's happened I'm afraid, the site is still working fine without any changes here so I'm not able to replicate it at my end.  We need to get the Forum passed over to Stewart Leonard to look after going forward so we'll be updating the software and fixing any bugs at the same time.  We can check for any layout issues on Apple devices at the same time.

Have you seen any changes on other sites?  It might be worth a quick check to make sure that your iPad hasn't missed any software updates itself, that might cause the browser to display things differently?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

John Cook

The forum and site generally behave exactly the same, and as expected, on all my devices, iphone, ipad, desk-top and lap-top.  No problems found.

toxicpixie

No problems from either my PC on Chrome or iPhone on Safari that I can see...

Mind you I'm in software support/testing and "it works on my machine!" is pretty standard ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

mollinary

But it does not seem to be an ipad  problem, as I have exactly the same results on my pc.  Could it be an account problem?

toxicpixie

Probably - you've logged out, cleared cache and logged back in I take it?

Try a fresh browser as well (eg if you use Chrome try Firefox or vice versa), and maybe even create a new account?!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting