What has happened to the forum?

Started by mollinary, 15 June 2021, 11:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

It was...right across the knuckle on the 'middle' finger of my right hand.
It's not opened up again for a couple of days now....So it seems to be knitting together.

Cheers - Phil. :)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Big Insect

17 June 2021, 11:45:34 AM #34 Last Edit: 17 June 2021, 11:47:34 AM by Big Insect
My own observation on recent posts is that they are declining in number but also the threads are becoming very diverse - not sticking to the original question or subject matter and drifting off (often into other interesting areas - but still 'off track'). NB: I am as much a culprit with this as anybody else.

I'd also note that the numbers of actual wargames related threads is dropping.
No longer do we see threads started with the title: "How many buttons on the cuff of a Saxon Voltigeurs?" or the such like. It is more likely to be us 'oldster' wittering on a our Covid-jabs or how the council's are only emptying the bins every 3rd month now to save money etc.

Maybe that lack of engagement also reflects a wider change in peoples behaviours towards social-media/forums and general on-line communication more widely, due to over exposure throughout lock-down? Maybe the lack of face-to-face gaming has also stifled discussion? I have noticed a couple of other wargames forums I am on have also seen a significant decline in posting recently - one of them has actually 'died' ... I posted a question on it 3 weeks ago and whilst it has been read 100+ times nobody has replied/acknowledged it but mine was the only post to the forum in the last 4 months anyway! However, I think that in that instance the community has migrated to a new Facebook forum on the same subject. I don't 'do' Facebook so cannot tell if that is more active or not.

Maybe as we head off into the 'new normal' post pandemic things will pick up? I hope so.

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Ithoriel

With much less opportunity for face-to-face gaming ( or tabletop pvp as someone called it the other day on a Twitch stream I was briefly watching) there is surely much less chance that someone has a rules query or a question as to whether the officers of 2nd Battalion, Queen Gertrude's Own Mounted Shirkers and Deserters should be depicted holding champagne flutes or rum bottles in a diorama set on the morning of the Battle of Hucaires, during the Neverois War of 1824.

Playing solo, if playing at all, one is less likely to realise there might be another interpretation of the rules than ones own.

I can't be the only one who, with no opponent available finds their painting mojo (limited in the best of times) severely depleted.

While thread derailment is rampant here (part of the forum's charm IMNSHO) it is usually consigned to those parts of the thread when the OP has been answered and where not, is usually brought back on track by the more sensible members.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Orcs

The lack of physical opponents the last year has increased my painting mojo, less to do and an opportunity to reduce the mountain (range).
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

John Cook

Quote from: Orcs on 17 June 2021, 12:07:19 PM
The lack of physical opponents the last year has increased my painting mojo, less to do and an opportunity to reduce the mountain (range).

Mine too.  More painting than I've done for a long time, and my garden hasn't looked better.  No distractions elsewhere I suppose.  As for opponents, I only have a couple, plus my wife who will wargame as long as the armies are 'pretty'. 

Ithoriel

Books, movies, TV, virtual versions of board games, online RPGs, cooking, eating, chatting on phone to stay in contact with friends and family. Who has time to paint? :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

House arrest has moved Lee from "OK, I'll give you a game every ten days" to "We've got time for a rematch before dinner." What have I done?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fred.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 17 June 2021, 04:34:37 PM
House arrest has moved Lee from "OK, I'll give you a game every ten days" to "We've got time for a rematch before dinner." What have I done?

Lost enough to lure her in - that was the plan wasn't it?

My painting is certainly down lately, I think for a variety of reasons. But gaming has held up to much the same frequency over lockdown, we got into remote 'Zoom' games pretty quickly (though we prefer Google meet over Zoom).
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: fred. on 17 June 2021, 08:57:55 PM
Lost enough to lure her in - that was the plan wasn't it?

This is the bit where the Villain suggests "Why don't we make the next round a little more interesting, Mister Bond".

sunjester

Quote from: Big Insect on 17 June 2021, 11:45:34 AM
My own observation on recent posts is that they are declining in number but also the threads are becoming very diverse - not sticking to the original question or subject matter and drifting off (often into other interesting areas - but still 'off track'). NB: I am as much a culprit with this as anybody else.

Where have you been for the past decade or more?  ;D
My personal observation is thet thread derailment has been a speciality of this forum for many years! :d

Stop bullying the junior ranks Graham

streetgang

I can't find any of the photos sections in the forum. The layout looks different as well...
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2021 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Winner!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!