Country File

Started by Heedless Horseman, 13 June 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

We had a few bullfinches in the garden over the weekend which is a first for us. The red breasts on the males is particularly striking. (No they definitely weren't robins!)

Steve J

Not quite nature, but I had a great view of Venus this morning, which did look rather splendid before the cloud cover came over.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Heedless Horseman

Another chilly but Sunny day... in January. I blame Global Warming. Doubt it will last.
Bullfinches, Long Tailed Tits and Woodpecker on the feeders... plus lots of 'twitering' going on!  :)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Orcs

I have virtually given up feeding the birds

I bought one of these squirrel proof posts that hold several feeders and water bowls. The songbirds won't go near it and it ends up all being eaten by jackdaws or magpies, niether of which do I wish to encourage. The bits that fall to the ground are gobbled up by the flying rats.

As the Corvids and the flying rats are no longer under the "General License" I am no longer allowed to thin them down with the air rifle.

Any suggestions as to how to encourage the songbirds to use the new feeder would be appreciated
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Heedless Horseman

Orcs. If post feeder fairly new... give them time? Will soon be hungry fledglings. Small birds seem to like some nearby 'cover'to flit to and from, so maybe resite a little way?
Nowt much you can do about nuisance big birds except bang on the window... but... if scoffing from feeders, might be less likely to raid nests?
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Orcs

THanks for the suggestions HH

Feeder has been in garden for a year, is within hopping distance of several bushes. The laurel had several bids actually living in it. It had Peanuts, Generl bird seed, Niger seed and fatballs in feeders and I reguarly put meal worms and seed on its tray. The Robin uses very occasionally as does the blackbird.

Yes I suppose it might stop some nest raiding   

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mmcv

Do the feeders have a "roof" on them or some sort of cover over them? Birdbox style feeders can keep the bigger birds out as they have a harder time getting under the cover giving a bit more protection for the smaller birds. Though ultimately it can be hard to keep the big bullies away but I find the smaller birds tend to flit in and out and between them.

Another factor to take into consideration may be whether your neighbours have feeders, as the birds may already have established patterns of feeding from neighbouring feeders so are less inclined to visit your newer one. Maybe having a few smaller feeders scattered at other parts of the garden may tempt them in to find the bigger feeder.

Gwydion

QuoteI have virtually given up feeding the birds

I bought one of these squirrel proof posts that hold several feeders and water bowls. The songbirds won't go near it and it ends up all being eaten by jackdaws or magpies, niether of which do I wish to encourage. The bits that fall to the ground are gobbled up by the flying rats.

As the Corvids and the flying rats are no longer under the "General License" I am no longer allowed to thin them down with the air rifle.

Any suggestions as to how to encourage the songbirds to use the new feeder would be appreciated

I suggest you check the General Licences GL40 and GL42
Things may not be as bad as you think 8)
Magpies on both lists.

Orcs

Quote from: Gwydion on 21 January 2022, 01:02:26 PMI suggest you check the General Licences GL40 and GL42
Things may not be as bad as you think 8)
Magpies on both lists.

Yes looks like they have changed the license. I have a thrush in my garden, and this is a specie of concern, I can get the flying rat and Jackdaw on grounds of crop damage.

Thanks for that

Orcs

What is most annoying is that the songbirds used to use our garden a lot to feed, until the Squirrel destroyed all the feeders. Hence the purchase of the new one that they do not use.

Steve J

The first cut of the lawn this year on a rather lovely afternoon. Very nice to be outside again pottering about :) . Oh and the snowdrops are out and a solitary crocus.

Orcs

Quote from: Steve J on 27 January 2022, 03:50:06 PMThe first cut of the lawn this year on a rather lovely afternoon. Very nice to be outside again pottering about :) . Oh and the snowdrops are out and a solitary crocus.
Your keen, once you start cutting the grass you have to do it regularly.

John Cook

Not a good idea to cut grass before the threat of frost is past.

Steve J

No frost forecast for several days, so the grass will be fine, famous last words. I have cut it earlier in January before, but several years ago now.