Country File

Started by Heedless Horseman, 13 June 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

QuoteNo frost forecast for several days, so the grass will be fine, famous last words. I have cut it earlier in January before, but several years ago now.
Frost this morning here, and I don't think I'm too far away from you.

Steve J

A touch of frost here too which was certainly not forecast. Still the grass looks fine as pretty resilient, so I'm not worried. Damned foggy now than and very dreary.

Heedless Horseman

Storm Malik seems to be doing more local damage than Arwen did. So far... an 8" branch off the old Ash and several smaller branches off various other trees. Changed my mind about going out for shopping!  ;)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

John Cook

Periodic visit to the garden by a Sparrow Hawk yesterday.  Well, I assume it's the same one we see every time but who knows.  We feed the birds, the birds feed the Sparrow Hawk.  It seems to be partial to Collared Doves and Wood Pigeons judging by the feathers it leaves behind so I'm guessing it's a female.  Still, there are plenty of them, especially Wood Pigeons. 

Steve J

We had a visit from a Sparrowhawk yesterday, after I'd done my RSPB Birdwatch recording. Plenty of Corvids and Sparrows seen, not much else. Might do one tomorrow as the weather is looking better...

Leon

We're planning our Birdwatch today instead as we were busy with Dave's 60th birthday yesterday!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Raider4

QuoteStorm Malik seems to be doing more local damage than Arwen did.
What's up with these names? Arwen, then Malik, and now Corrie?

Steve J

It's something along the lines of the country most likely to be hit by the storm gets to name it (Denmark named Malik), hence the non-alphabetical nature of the recent ones.

Belated Happy Birthday to Dave!

paulr

QuoteBelated Happy Birthday to Dave!

<:-P  <:-P  <:-P
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Happy Birthday, Dave!

<:-P <:-P <:-P <:-P
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

QuoteWhat's up with these names? Arwen, then Malik, and now Corrie?

The UK, Ireland and the Netherlands collaborate on naming most storms in the region for the year (Arwen, Barra and Corrie so far). Malik was an interloper from Denmark as mentioned elsewhere using a different naming system.

The next names for storms for the year will be Dudley, Eunice, Franklin, Gladys, Herman, Imani, Jack, Kim, Logan, Méabh, Nasim, Olwen, Pól, Ruby, Seán, Tineke, Vergil and Willemien.

As you can see a mix of British, Irish and Dutch names.

My guess is Arwen was submitted for a LotR fan (it is technically a Welsh name), Barra was named after a weather presenter here in NI, Corrie was maybe named by someone with a love of soaps?

Anyway... Happy Birthday, Dave!

paulr

My sympathies to weather presenters if they get past L this year ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: paulr on 01 February 2022, 12:42:09 AMMy sympathies to weather presenters if they get past L this year ;)

Hang on, isn't the weather their fault?   :) 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fred.

QuoteHang on, isn't the weather their fault?  :) 
Do you view weather forecasters as some kind of Druid summoning the weather into being with their animated maps?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

QuoteDo you view weather forecasters as some kind of Druid summoning the weather into being with their animated maps?

Wait! They're not? Dang!

But they know what the weather will be! What sorcery is this!!??  :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data