Some 10mm French

Started by lekw, 06 June 2021, 07:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lekw

Thanks for all the kind words all. With the flags I just used the ones by pendraken. Maybe I should try some 6mm versions? Anyway for this batch I kind of like the look of the pendraken ones. :D Thanks all, I hope to post some other videos soon.

John Cook

Quote from: lekw on 08 June 2021, 10:04:04 PM
Thanks for all the kind words all. With the flags I just used the ones by pendraken. Maybe I should try some 6mm versions? Anyway for this batch I kind of like the look of the pendraken ones. :D Thanks all, I hope to post some other videos soon.

If you like them, then that's all that matters.

I can't comment on Leon's flags as I have never seen them in the flesh, but almost all the commercial sets I have seen make French Napoleonic flags too large.  It doesn't matter what size figures they are meant for and here is a problem. 

'10mm', '15mm' etc aren't scales but relative sizes.  You can't really scale a human and one manufacturer's '10mm' is not necessarily quite the same at another's.  So, even if the flags were produced at 1:150 they might not look right, necessarily, against a 10mm figure.  I've bought sets of British colours and ACW Union colours in the past that are too small.

My solution is twofold, first download stuff you find on-line and print them yourself.  The problem with this can be quality.  This site, although it hasn't had anything new on it for 20 years, is useful for Napoleonic flags.

http://www.warflag.com/napflags/index.htm

The second solution, which I use more and more is to buy commercial sets, often meant for 28mm figures, you get the quality then, and keep them as 'masters'.  I then scan them, adjust them to suit my figures, and print them myself.

Look forward to your next video.

Shecky

Quote from: John Cook on 09 June 2021, 02:21:50 AM
If you like them, then that's all that matters.

That's exactly what I mean. If you look closely at my 10mm Napoleonics you'll find 1815 flags on 1809 French and 1804 flags on 1812 French figures.  And you'll probably find units with mixed 1809 and 1812 uniforms.  And from three feet away it's hard to notice the historical inaccuracies.

When I first started miniatures wargaming almost 40 years ago I started with Napoleonics. I gave it up after two years because of snide remarks  one gamer made about mixing wrong uniforms, wrong lapels, etc.

I came back to Napoleonics about three years ago because as I've aged I don't care about what the critics say. As you said, if I like it, that's all that matters.

Chad

John Cook

Quote from: Shecky on 09 June 2021, 05:29:40 AM
That's exactly what I mean. If you look closely at my 10mm Napoleonics you'll find 1815 flags on 1809 French and 1804 flags on 1812 French figures.  And you'll probably find units with mixed 1809 and 1812 uniforms.  And from three feet away it's hard to notice the historical inaccuracies.

When I first started miniatures wargaming almost 40 years ago I started with Napoleonics. I gave it up after two years because of snide remarks  one gamer made about mixing wrong uniforms, wrong lapels, etc.

I came back to Napoleonics about three years ago because as I've aged I don't care about what the critics say. As you said, if I like it, that's all that matters.

Well, I do take a different view.  It is a bit like that piece of wallpaper that doesn't quite line up properly.  Nobody else will notice, but I will every time I pass it.  It is the same with my figures, I will notice.  It is the reason why I have not done Waterloo with Pendraken's figures.  Their French are from a different period and I will know. 

There are other reasons.  The sculptors have done their best to give me a figure that is as accurate as possible.  When I started wargaming back in the 1960s, resources were few.  Today, the internet notwithstanding, I have shelves of books and other reference material on every period I have an interest in, from the Norman Conquest to the Fall of France.  I have spent a lot of time, money and effort to make my figures as accurate as I can.  So, I have done my best too. 

That is my philosophy. Were it otherwise I think I'd be gaming Sci-Fi or Fantasy.

I've been gaming Napoleonics since 1962 and, fortunately, have not encountered the issues you describe.  I have always found dedicated Napleonic wargamers to be enthusiastic and helpful.  It is certainly true, though, that Napoleonic forums can attract the most unpleasant of individual.  Poor moderation meant that a lot of knowledgeable people avoid them now, and no longer bother posting.  I empathise entirely, and to be honest, I can't be bothered to engage with these morons either.

In the end, you can paint figures as you like but if you post pictures of them here, presumably, you don't just want a pat on the back and seek constructive criticism too.

Ithoriel

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mollinary

An interesting* debate, with good points on both sides. Regarding flags I would introduce one further factor for consideration - the diameter of the flagstaff. Given what I assume are the laws of physics(?) the smaller scale a figure is, the Broader a flagstaff is relative to its height. With a large flag, this seems relatively insignificant, but the smaller the flag is the greater the proportion of it that is wrapped around the flagstaff, and, in my opinion, the odder it looks.  So it becomes a question of which dimensions do you change to get something which looks right. Some may go for removing the cast on staff, replacing  it with wire, and keeping the historical size of flag. Others may keep the cast staff, and increase the size of flag to get a better feel of proportion. I think it is a matter more of aesthetics than historical accuracy, just as the look of a figure may be enhanced by proportions which are not entirely within the range of human anatomy!  Ducks behind the parapet!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

hammurabi70

Quote from: John Cook on 09 June 2021, 02:58:51 PM
Well, I do take a different view.  It is a bit like that piece of wallpaper that doesn't quite line up properly.  Nobody else will notice, but I will every time I pass it.  It is the same with my figures, I will notice.  It is the reason why I have not done Waterloo with Pendraken's figures.  Their French are from a different period and I will know. 

I shall cherish my 2mm; nobody can spot the sub-period!  :d

John Cook

Quote from: Ithoriel on 09 June 2021, 04:51:50 PM
Sometimes, ignorance is bliss! :)

Ah yes, the "unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know."

John Cook

Quote from: mollinary on 09 June 2021, 07:36:37 PM
Regarding flags I would introduce one further factor for consideration - the diameter of the flagstaff.

A good point.   The 'telegraph pole syndrome' often applies to pikes too.  I used to use replace them with .3mm brass rod but found that, not only did they hurt when they got inserted under my finger nails, but they came off if roughly handled, there being, I suppose, insufficient surface for the glue to bond to.  I found a solution though. 

My wife has a brush which has grey nylon bristles.  I don't know what it's for, or how you use it, but it lives in a cupboard under the sink.  Its bristles are about three inches long and stiff enough to take a flag yet they bend, so they do not break off.

I use them for pikes, flagstaffs and radio aerials.  If anybody decides they want to try this solution I advise removing them from the centre of the brush though.  If you remove them from the outside, it's a bit obvious.

lekw

Thanks again for the info on the flags. I did find some small 6mm ones in my pile of flag sheets but I think these may actually be even to small for the 10mm stuff. Will have to wait and order some new 6mm ones. Until then will keep them as is.

I uploaded a new video of the start of my 10mm British. This is a really odd group and only a start but I have to say the 10mm AWI range are some of the nicest figures I have encountered. It was not even a period I was really interested in until I ordered a few packs and now I want the entire range!!! Anyway I hope the short video is entertaining. Of course any comments, advice and suggestions are more than welcome!!!

https://myblog-lekw.blogspot.com/

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno II

Really good !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil. :)

John Cook

Very nice figures.  A minor suggestion, try painting the edge of the flags so the white of the paper is hidden.  The AWI range is indeed stunning.  A wargaming friend has a large AWI collection but the period doesn't quite do it for me at the moment.   

If you can't find the flags you need for you French Napoleonics, and I suspect 6mm will always be too small for ten mm (you are looking for a flag about 5-6mm square), you could try this site:

https://www.warflag.com/napflags/html/flags.htm

They are free.  You can copy them, re-size them and print them.

lekw

Thanks for the kind words and the advice about the flags. I will try to find a few minutes to get the figures out and paint the edges. Constructive advice is always helpful. While my painting and assembly is not great I decided to make and post these videos because of all the inspiration I get from watching others post their miniatures online. It is kind of my small contribution and I hope folks find the videos at least somewhat interesting. I have some 10mm ACW (Not 12mm), I have worked on coming up next.