Vaccination requiremnt for show attendance ?

Started by Orcs, 04 June 2021, 12:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Quote from: John Cook on 26 October 2021, 12:03:02 PM
What are the 'permissions' you object to?

Pretty much all of them really:

NHS App
NHS Digital
Showing permissions for all versions of this app
This app has access to:
● precise location (GPS and network-based)
Phone
● read phone status and identity
Photos / Media / Files
● read the contents of your USB storage
● modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
Storage
● read the contents of your USB storage
● modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
Camera
● take pictures and videos
Microphone
● record audio
Device ID & call information
● read phone status and identity
Other
● receive data from Internet
● view network connections
● full network access
● change your audio settings
● control Near-Field Communication
● control vibration
● prevent device from sleeping

Carrying a piece of paper around seems to be an awful lot simpler to me.

Quote from: John Cook on 26 October 2021, 12:03:02 PM
Are they any different from the NHS Track and Trace app?

No idea. Don't have that one either.

paulr

That's a pretty worrying list of permissions, some I can understand but others X_X

QuoteISO 3103 Certified
;D ;D ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

I'm not a fan of the permissions that some apps use, Facebook Messenger has always been the worst offender for me.  I don't know if it's changed much but it used to be able to access your entire phone book, email contacts, internet connections, camera, microphone, photos, personal files, calendar, on/off status, and god knows what else.  It was the ability to turn on your microphone/camera and record you that I found the most creepy. 

With the more modern phones though, you can go into each apps permissions and turn some of them off, leaving only the essentials for the app to work.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Orcs

Quote from: Raider4 on 26 October 2021, 12:42:52 PM

Carrying a piece of paper around seems to be an awful lot simpler to me.

That means you will need to repeatedly print out the piece of paper, as it is only valid for 48 hours compared to the month on the APP
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

John Cook

Quote from: Raider4 on 26 October 2021, 12:42:52 PM
Pretty much all of them really:

Where can I confirm all this information on permissions in the context of my smartphone.  I can't find it on the App on my iphone or via NHS Digital on my PC.  The trouble with the paper version is that it isn't accepted everywhere so I haven't bothered to get one.  Does the paper version include a readable QR code?  If not it is, literally, not worth the paper it is printed on.  As for the COVID track and trace app, having that on your smartphone is just the responsible thing to do, in my view, like getting vaccinated, wearing masks and observing social distancing. 

John Cook

Quote from: Orcs on 26 October 2021, 10:07:09 PM
That means you will need to repeatedly print out the piece of paper, as it is only valid for 48 hours compared to the month on the APP

I didn't know it was only valid for such a short time.  Not much practical use really and another reason not to bother with it.  Having the QR code on your smartphone seems by far the easiest option.

chrishanley

I do not have a smart phone, but recently took a trip to France on business and used a paper 'NHS COVID Pass - Vaccinated' which shows the 2D BAR codes and is valid for 30 days.

John Cook

Quote from: chrishanley on 26 October 2021, 11:57:35 PM
I do not have a smart phone, but recently took a trip to France on business and used a paper 'NHS COVID Pass - Vaccinated' which shows the 2D BAR codes and is valid for 30 days.

Thanks for that.  I've had a smartphone for years and like all these things I don't know what I would do without it now.  Having the app on my phone with access to the QR code is a lot simpler than having to apply for a paper certificate every month.