ECW Cuirassiers

Started by Terry37, 29 October 2021, 12:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

A friend and I are rebasing our ECW armies for a modified DBA-HX approach using a new element type I have developed - The Battalion, which is 2 pikes and 2 musketeers. It fights as Pikes in close combat and as Shot in ranged combat. By making this change I find that I will enough extra Cuirassier figure for another element. I know there were two regiments, and I believe both were Parliamentary regiments. Of course one, the most well known is Hasilrige's Lobsters. Does anybody know what the other regiment was and which side they fought on?

Thanks,

Terry 
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

hammurabi70

Quote from: Terry37 on 29 October 2021, 12:21:47 AM
A friend and I are rebasing our ECW armies for a modified DBA-HX approach using a new element type I have developed - The Battalion, which is 2 pikes and 2 musketeers. It fights as Pikes in close combat and as Shot in ranged combat. By making this change I find that I will enough extra Cuirassier figure for another element. I know there were two regiments, and I believe both were Parliamentary regiments. Of course one, the most well known is Hasilrige's Lobsters. Does anybody know what the other regiment was and which side they fought on?

Thanks,

Terry 

The other Cuirassiers were individual troops, the troop of The Earl of Essex seems to get some prominence.  Some seem to claim the Lifeguard of the Earl of Essex was a regiment but I have never seen anything authoritative on that.

The cuirassier lifeguard troops of the Earl of Essex, the Earl of Bedford and Sir William Balfour played an important role at the battle of Edgehill in 1642. The most famous cuirassier unit of the civil wars was Sir Arthur Hesilrige's regiment, the "Lobsters", which was active during 1643 as the heavy cavalry of Sir William Waller's army but was reformed as a harquebusier regiment after Waller's defeat at Roundway Down.

Terry37

Thanks for the info. I am aware of them and since they may not be a full regiment, as you say, I was thinking there might have been another full regiment.

Thanks again,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams