Start of Napoleonic French

Started by Apoc, 30 April 2021, 08:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apoc

Excellent, thanks so much both – ill stick with the Pendraken French limber then (in a lighter blue) for my next pendraken order.

John Cook

Quote from: Westmarcher on 04 May 2021, 07:34:38 PM
On page 11, there is another illustration with both Garde train and HA crew in their respective uniforms on a limber. But this slightly puzzles me as I didn't know that French HA limbers had provision for seated crew members. Fortunately, the Pendraken 1809 range limbers don't either so this shouldn't be an issue.
http://www.planete-napoleon.com/docs/Artillerie_de_la_Garde.pdf

I'm confident that picture is wrong.  There is a photo of, what purports to be, a French Napoleonic horse artillery limber with provision for seated crew, in the old Osprey booklet on Napoleonic artillery.  There has been quite a lot of discussion about this limber on various forums over the years and as I remember it was established that it is not Napoleonic limber and the inclusion of the photo was a mistake.  The French Gribeauval system limber, and used by the Year XI pieces, was of A-frame construction with a pintle to which the trail of the piece was attached.  It had no provision for either an ammunition chest, that was carried between the trail of the piece, or for seated gunners.  During the Napoleonic period, French horse artillery gunners were all individually mounted and foot artillery crews marched.  There was also a long two-wheeled ammunition caisson, towed by a similar A-frame limber but Pendraken don't make one of those yet. 

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Apoc

Been a while, picked up a few extra figures from Pendraken in person at Fiasco recently and have made progress on more line inf:

Cuirassiers almost done and working on hussars.

fred.

Welcome back!

Those figures look fantastic - great painting and a great a photo too, the black basing (which I assume is temporary) sets them off really well. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

Lovely work Apoc, I'm sure they will serve well - en avant!  :-bd
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Techno 3

I'll do this later

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Corso

Must not be tempted, must finish 6mm project first...
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

They're great, really colourful but not over done, and pop nicely :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Roy

Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Orcs

Warmaster had been rewritten as Warmaster revolution, by the fan base. they incorporated some of the rule principles from Warmaster Ancients. eg Close combat only lasts for two bouts within a turn. So if you destroy a unit you cannot keep charging onto the next unit again and again and roll up your opponent in one turn   
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Last Hussar

I've got loads of the original Warmaster elves. Don't fancy doing them for me  :P  :d
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Szymon