Question about doctrines and unit cost.

Started by Zookie, 12 April 2021, 04:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

It would suit  trophy hunting/close combat ethos though - if the opportunity to prove themselves hand to hand shows up they tend to take it.

Even against Xenomorphs!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Predators hunt according to their opponent's capabilities and weapons.
Fire is met with fire, if you opponent wants to fight blade to blade, the honour is higher. Pure, unarmed, hand to hand is accorded the highest honours.
Unless you're an Alien, when all weapons are fair game!

So maybe being compulsory charge in hth range is fair, but the opponent would have to have a decent capability?

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Big Insect

Quote from: toxicpixie on 01 June 2021, 11:45:38 AM
It would suit  trophy hunting/close combat ethos though - if the opportunity to prove themselves hand to hand shows up they tend to take it.
Even against Xenomorphs!

Very true but it doesn't seem to fit with the 'stealthy' hunter methodology.
Once in combat they would be particularly aggressive and ferocious - almost impetuous/uncontrollable - maybe it is an 'honour' thing
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

flamingpig0

If one combined:

Advanced Technology
High Strength Infantry
Guerilla Doctrine  from BKC iv
Adaptive camouflage

One might get torwards a reasonable depiction of the evil sods.
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Big Insect

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 01 June 2021, 04:03:41 PM
If one combined:

Advanced Technology
High Strength Infantry
Guerilla Doctrine  from BKC iv
Adaptive camouflage

One might get torwards a reasonable depiction of the evil sods.

Absolutely + HVP ranged weapons - nasty
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

flamingpig0

Quote from: Big Insect on 01 June 2021, 04:09:24 PM
Absolutely + HVP ranged weapons - nasty

Hurrah!
Alll we need now  for the forthcoming Pendraken 10mm scifi range to provide suitable figures

H.P. Lovecraft

Salah Askar,

Ithoriel

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 01 June 2021, 04:17:08 PM
Hurrah!
Alll we need now  for the forthcoming Pendraken 10mm scifi range to provide suitable figures

SFX4 Alien predators (10)

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

So, Kar'Vak are not-Predators? Huh, I would never have guessed that.

Hard to imagine an army of such things - always struck me as working individually ("Predator") or in small groups (of three? "Alien vs. Predator" and "Predators").

Big Insect

Quote from: Raider4 on 04 June 2021, 08:13:45 AM
So, Kar'Vak are not-Predators? Huh, I would never have guessed that.
Hard to imagine an army of such things - always struck me as working individually ("Predator") or in small groups (of three? "Alien vs. Predator" and "Predators").

Kra'Vaks are a GZG range of 6mm/15mm sci-fi figures/vehicles - the list is one of the older ones in the FWC army list book. But could do with an update IMHO.
And yes - Kra'Vak are supposed to represent Predators - just as GZG 'crustys' represent District 9 'prawns' as a way to circumvent potential copywrite issues  ;)

As to an army of Predators - they do operate as hunting parties - as we see in the 2nd film in the series (ingeniously titled Predator-2!) and again in one of the later films (I think it is Aliens v Predator) we see a 'Predator' city on their home-world - so they do appear to live in communities and so might be expected to take joint action together - either defensively or aggressively.
In Predator-2 there also appears to be a command structure or hierarchy amongst the 'hunting party'.

The FWC list is focused on grav tech and 'rail-gun' tech (High Impact Weaponry) - the latter I think is an incorrect depiction of their shoulder guns - which are much more like an HVP weapon than HIW (IMHO) but it needs Stealth and/or Adaptive Camo adding (which is the way that I play them).

Ithoriel

I'd always assumed the Predators in the initial movies were young adults sent to planets to take on "dangerous animals" - like armed humans - to prove their worth. In the same way that some human tribes sent young men off to hunt lions or bears to prove their prowess.

The larger groups in the later movies seem to be on training missions, presumably to hone skills and raise rep?

I have no problem imagining armies of them. I would expect units to be tribal.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

flamingpig0

Quote from: Ithoriel on 01 June 2021, 05:51:07 PM
SFX4 Alien predators (10)

Brill- but even for a small army we need more than one pose
 H.P. Lovecraft

Salah Askar,

Raider4

For UK-based viewers, "The Predator", the latest (last?) film in the series is on Channel 4 at 21:00 this evening.

Not seen this yet - the reviews were not good, ISTR - but will settle down and try & enjoy it this evening. Directed by Shane Black, who played the nerdy one in the original film.

The only other one in the series I've not seen is the second AvP film, which is terrible from what I've heard.

fsn

I really wouldn't bother.

It is an excrescence in the annals of cinema. Nearly as bad as the Taron Egerton "Robin Hood", or Disney "Star Wars" ... or the 2nd series of "Batwoman".
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno II

I probably bought the DVD.....years ago.

If that's the one I'm thinking of.....The latter stuff was mostly a complete pile of poop.

Cheers - Phil :(