Battle for Norrey AAR

Started by Itinerant Hobbyist, 11 April 2021, 06:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itinerant Hobbyist

Turns 1-3 - I'm quite rusty and need to get some rules nailed down. I'm playing where each stand is a squad. I'm experimenting with inches and also a Piat team (they died first turn).

https://youtu.be/vaMQ5V3QGwg

Norm

Thanks, enjoyed. I like that everything with BKC is contained in the one volume.

Big Insect

Hi IH -
I really enjoyed the immediacy & spontaneity of the commentary - so glad you are enjoying the game/rules.
Some people find the Commander rules mechanisms very frustrating, as are so different in places from other more traditional sets.

It is well worth trying out the MicroMark army lists - lot of effort and research has gone into those.
We are also working on an electronic/digital army list calculator - that will add a lot more options to your games - hopefully that should become available later in the year (2021).

Around the 'glossy books' - it's a major challenge - they are so very expensive to research and print that I'm not sure that we will head whole heartedly in that direction, but there might be an option for some 'theatre specific' supplements in the future. I can see something like a 'Winter War' supplement (Finns v Soviets) as a good example. Where some of the weather specific optional rules might come into their own (my favourite being the use of magnetic anti-shipping mines being placed in fresh water lakes ahead of the winter freeze by the Finns). Or a Manchurian or Borneo campaign supplement. I like these 'fringe' theatres - even maybe the Thai army v Japanese in Indonesia. The danger with the main theatres is that we would be just duplicating a lot of existing research.
To be honest - I still have all my FoW glossy books and still use them to help build forces for BKC  ;) :D

I look forward to more on the Battle of Norrey AAR - having an British FAO so close to his target and calling in the fire can be devastating - but let's hope you don't roll a blunder for him - ouch!
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Itinerant Hobbyist

Thank you both for your responses. And I appreciate the response re books. Even what TFL does with their Pint Sozed Campaigns is nice but they put so much time and effort into them, so while the cost of printing isn't there, the time of research and writing and editing and playtesting is there in spades.

Even putting together the 6 2x2 scenarios was a lot of work and I borrowed those from another gamer.

I've talked with Leon about this before and life happened, but I would love to interview you Big Insect on my YouTube channel.

Itinerant Hobbyist

Norm

Thanks Todd, I'm not saying that I play right! but in this battle, I would have played Norrey town as four Built Up Areas since the buildings basically amount to four rooms. A defending stand in the room occupies the full space and so when an enemy moves adjacent to the building, that counts as adjacency between the troops and allows for assault and for a room next to a room, the same principle applies. But I default to that because that's how all my other tactical games play and it just seems intuitively easy .... rather than right :-) 

Big Insect

Quote from: Itinerant Hobbyist on 14 April 2021, 12:16:14 AM
I've talked with Leon about this before and life happened, but I would love to interview you Big Insect on my YouTube channel.

I'd love to be involved - might be best to get Leon's big move out the way and I have a presentation I am preparing for the SoA on-line conference in May (as well as a full time job) but I bet we can make some time to be interviewed  :D
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Itinerant Hobbyist

Cool BI, When in May and I'll start looking for times after that.

Quote from: Big Insect on 14 April 2021, 12:34:40 PM
I'd love to be involved - might be best to get Leon's big move out the way and I have a presentation I am preparing for the SoA on-line conference in May (as well as a full time job) but I bet we can make some time to be interviewed  :D

Itinerant Hobbyist

I like the simplicity of the solution Norm. And while I had people on second floors, for ease I could say your close assaulting everyone in the building.

I'm still a bit stumped with my placement of the buildings and the 5cm proximity rule. Technically I wouldn't be able to have squeezed behind those buildings because it was the width of a stand. I suppose buildings could change that a bit.

Quote from: Norm on 14 April 2021, 06:21:25 AM
Thanks Todd, I'm not saying that I play right! but in this battle, I would have played Norrey town as four Built Up Areas since the buildings basically amount to four rooms. A defending stand in the room occupies the full space and so when an enemy moves adjacent to the building, that counts as adjacency between the troops and allows for assault and for a room next to a room, the same principle applies. But I default to that because that's how all my other tactical games play and it just seems intuitively easy .... rather than right :-) 

Big Insect

Quote from: Itinerant Hobbyist on 14 April 2021, 03:10:03 PM
Cool BI, When in May and I'll start looking for times after that.

Hi IH - I am free after Sunday 23rd May - I'm UK based and pretty much 100% working during the day (UK time) but let me know how you want to set things up.
I might have to get my hair cut properly in over 12+ months if I am appearing on Utube  ;D ;D ;D
Cheers
Mark