A few WWII ships for the Pacific

Started by paulr, 11 April 2021, 08:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Pierre the Shy managed to locate a working fax machine and sent an order off to Navwar :o

This gave me the opportunity to tag on an order for a few more WWII ships to round out my Pacific forces:
     USS West Virginia
     USS Maryland
     USS Tennessee
     USS California
     USS Pennsylvania

     HMAS Shropshire
     HMAS Arunta
     HMAS Warramunga

     IJN Abukuma
     IJN Nagara

These probably won't be used for the actual battle they fought in but there are a number of interesting what if scenarios they will allow me to fight

Pierre the Shy's order arrived a few days ago and he passed my ships on to me at our game last night :) :) :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

In between washing and dry brushing HYW camps and varnishing HYW French today I managed to get the ships prepared, holes drilled for masts and the ships washed :) :) :)

These ships will make a nice little break from HYW
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Dont forget to check the Cammo on those.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

paulr

This site is very handy for the US ships https://www.shipcamouflage.com/camouflage_database.htm

The US BBs will be MS21 or MS32 (three different patterns)

The others take a bit more digging
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Ships changed colours frequently. I've got schemes for the Royal Navy BB's, BC's and CA's - coutesy of Raven and Roberts.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

pierre the shy

Shouldn't take too long to do the US stuff in Measure 21:

Vertical Surfaces: Navy Blue 5-N  All Vertical surfaces without exception.

Horizontal Surfaces: Deck Blue, 20-B.

MS 32 is 3 toned so slightly more work:

Vertical Surfaces: Paint all exposed vertical surfaces a pattern of: Light Gray 5-L, Ocean Gray 5-O, Black.

Horizontal Surfaces: Paint all decks and horizontal surfaces a pattern of: Deck Blue, 20-B, Ocean Gray 5-O.

I missed one US CA off the order I did....opps :-[ still Paul tells me he only has 7 others that can be used as a stand-ins  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno II

Going off ON A COMPLETE TANGENT......

Which US ship was supposed to have disappeared*....and then reappeared with some of the crew 'melted' into the superstructure (?) after some weird experiment to see if 'they' could make a ship invisible ?

I think we should be told !.....Good grief ! :'( X_X X_X X_X

Cheers - Mr Conspiracy Theory  ;)

*I'm sure the ship's name began with 'E'.....Probably false memory syndrome again. ;D ;D ;D

Westmarcher

Quote from: Techno II on 11 April 2021, 04:16:04 PM
Going off ON A COMPLETE TANGENT......

Which US ship was supposed to have disappeared*....and then reappeared with some of the crew 'melted' into the superstructure (?) after some weird experiment to see if 'they' could make a ship invisible ?

I think we should be told !.....Good grief ! :'( X_X X_X X_X

Cheers - Mr Conspiracy Theory  ;)

*I'm sure the ship's name began with 'E'.....Probably false memory syndrome again. ;D ;D ;D

The Philadelphia Experiment.  =)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I rather suspect that it's fictional Phil. Not seen the film so can't comment..
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Quote from: paulr on 11 April 2021, 08:30:28 AM
Pierre the Shy managed to locate a working fax machine and sent an order off to Navwar :o



Phew, the trouble I had finding a fax machine in Bangkok!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno II

Quote from: ianrs54 on 12 April 2021, 06:57:46 AM
I rather suspect that it's fictional Phil. Not seen the film so can't comment..

Oh......It HAS to be fictional, Ian......But it seems to be thought of as 'fact' by some conspiracy theorists.
The story rears its head again every few years or so.

The ship was called something like USS Eldridge.....(It was...I just looked it up.)

Cheers - Phil. :)

hammurabi70

Quote from: FierceKitty on 12 April 2021, 07:03:46 AM
Phew, the trouble I had finding a fax machine in Bangkok!

Sorry to learn that. You can get free fax machine simulation through internet sites. Well you could but I have not used one in over 15 years.  It will send your material in fax format or receive and convert to printer requirements.

FierceKitty

Thanks, but I did eventually track one down.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 12 April 2021, 08:46:34 AM
Sorry to learn that. You can get free fax machine simulation through internet sites. Well you could but I have not used one in over 15 years.  It will send your material in fax format or receive and convert to printer requirements.

I checked this, and everything I could easily find (ie first page of a google search) was a subscription service.

    "Receive 10 faxes per month for $2.99".

Subscriptions have their place, but sending a one-off purchase request isn't it.