Riverine Craft (Vietnam)

Started by Daniel Lee, 02 December 2021, 01:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Lee

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had put together any stats for the various riverine craft used by the MRF in Vietnam. Or if anyone has any suggestions on how to pull something together.

Many thanks
Daniel
The dice giveth and the dice taketh away!

Ithoriel

02 December 2021, 01:37:34 PM #1 Last Edit: 02 December 2021, 01:39:19 PM by Ithoriel Reason: Brain malfunction :-)
As this is your first post, welcome to the forum.

Alas, Vietnam is not a conflict I have much knowledge of, but I'd be surprised if someone on the forum doesn't have some solid ideas.

As I often say, the forum is warm, welcoming, well-read, well-informed, well intentioned and ..... well weird, by turns. Enjoy! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

02 December 2021, 03:00:39 PM #2 Last Edit: 02 December 2021, 03:03:18 PM by Westmarcher
Hello from me, also. Not one of my war gaming eras but, to widen the net in your search for answers, you may wish to pose the question in the comments section of this YouTube video recently released by Little Wars TV.

Mekong

[There's also an Osprey book if that helps.]
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Likewise hi. As the boats varied from 81mm mortars to flamethrowers it's a class by class case. YTou will have to this yourself by comparision.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

Welcome, Daniel !  :-h

Cheers - Phil. :)

Daniel Lee

Hi all,

Many thanks for the warm welcome and comments/suggestions.

A bit more investigation is required  :)

Daniel

sultanbev

I tend to treat any vehicle that swims as a hull down tank, so 5-6 to hit.
So the armoured monitors in 'Nam would probably be a slow move such as 10cm, most were lightly armoured but lots of bar armour and sandbags, perhaps 5 hits at 6 to save (but save on 4+ versus ATGW and IATW rounds?).
Weapons would be as per other vehicles, can't remember what guns they had off-top of my head. It may be able to fire multiple weapons at one target, or at several targets over a 360* arc, depending on weapons fit.

Alternatively, I've thought this for armoured trains in WW2 and Soviet river monitors, perhaps each model has separate areas each of 3 hits to save at 6 - one area per heavy weapon, one for the engine room and one for the command area. Direct fire weapons would fire at the nearest model part, area fire would hit all areas. So you can damage the vessel in a death of a thousand cuts if you can bring enough fire power onto it. If you get 4 hits on a turret say and have "surplus" hits over, you carry them forward into the next nearest area. Once all areas are hit the vessel is sunk.
Or something along those lines. Remember that one model is a platoon, you'd not likely get many vessels, so it wouldn't be too onerous to have a Star Trek SSD type sheet with tick boxes to cross off as hits are scored.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Daniel Lee

Hi guys,

So I've had a go at it, please let me know what you think. Of course it'll need some input from others to tweak it. The stats I mostly took from similar vehicles, but the point costs were a bit of a guess, as were the additional rules.

PBR Mk1/2 'Pibber' (Recce), Move 20, Attacks 4/50*, Hits 3, Save -, Cost 60, Limit -/-(2), Notes [66+]O
PCF Mk1/2 'Swift' (Recce), Move 20, Attacks 3/50*, Hits 4, Save -, Cost 60, Limit -/-(1), Notes [65+][1]O
ASPB Mk1 'Alpha' (Armour), Move 15, Attacks 4/50*, Hits 4, Save 6, Cost 80, Limit -/-(2), Notes [67+][1][2][3]

ATC 'Tango' (Transport), Move 10, Attacks 4/50*, Hits 5, Save 6, Cost 80, Limit -/3, Notes [68+][4][5](4 spaces)
ATC(H) (Transport), Move 10, Attacks 4/50*, Hits 5, Save 6, Cost 85, Limit -/-(1), Notes [68+][4][5][6](4 spaces)

CCB 'Charlie' CV9 (Command), Move 10, Attacks 4/50*, Hits 5, Save 6, Cost 100, Limit -/-(1), Notes [68+][4]
Monitor 'Mike' prog 4 (Armour), Move 10, Attacks 5/60*, Hits 5, Save 6, Cost 110, Limit -/1, Notes [68+][1][4]
Monitor 'Mike' prog 5 (Armour), Move 10, Attacks 6/50H, Hits 5, Save 6, Cost 110, Limit -/1, Notes [69+][4]
Monitor 'Zippo' (Armour), Move 10, Attacks 5/60*, Hits 5, Save 6, Cost 110, Limit -/-(1), Notes [68+][4][7]

Note 1 – Craft was fitted with a deck mortar (81mm), Attacks 3/120*
Note 2 – Craft was designed as a mine sweeper (possibly treats any booby traps as if it is moving at half speed, if another craft is targeted then roll a dice, on a 5+ this craft is targeted instead)
Note 3 – Craft was fitted with 3.5" rockets mounted on the front turret, attacks 3/20 H (maybe only a one shot per game weapon)
Note 4 – Craft was fitted with bar Armour, grants a 4+ save against direct fire rocket attacks
Note 5 – Troops may fire out when embarked (maybe only at half effect, rounded up)
Note 6 – Craft is fitted with a helipad, can have a single small helicopter (transport capacity 2 or less) land when stationary
Note 7 – Craft was fitted with flamethrowers, Attacks 12/10

All non-transport craft can take one unit as 'tank' riders.

There was some variations between the different marks of the boats, but at this scale of game probably not enough to reflect needing separate entries. The biggest difference was between the programme 4 and programme 5 Monitors, where the latter was sometimes fitted with a turret mounted 105mm howitzer in place of the 40mm cannon on the programme 4 craft.

I am also wondering whether there will be boats included with CWC II, which I think is due out next year at some point (I think I read somewhere that Leon mentioned possibly in time for Salute in April, but don't quote me on that).

Many thanks
Daniel

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021