Forces for 1940 WW2

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 16 March 2021, 07:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

So, the first two Panzer IIIE are done, and the Balken Cross is tiny and on. They will do for 1940 theatres nicely!

Clank clank

Trundle trundle...

Rear end

Just as an experiment, the German camo never shows up on black and white photos of the time, so just to try it out..

Yup
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

Really lovely job on those, Will !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil. :)

Steve J

hammurabi70

Just to clarify, is the two-tone scheme just 1939-40? with post France 40 being just grey?  Although few German tanks were used throughout the war, would it imply the need for tank fleets painted:
(1) Two-tone brown-grey for 39-40
(2) Grey for 41-42
(3) Autumn dapple 43-45
(4) Winter war white
(5) DAK desert yellow

Raider4

17 March 2021, 05:10:43 PM #5 Last Edit: 17 March 2021, 05:13:02 PM by Raider4
Quote from: hammurabi70 on 17 March 2021, 04:43:12 PM
Just to clarify, is the two-tone scheme just 1939-40? with post France 40 being just grey?

<sharp intake of breath>

I've seen a few heated arguments - some very - about whether German tanks in France used the grey/brown camouflage on internet forums over the years.

As per the black+white photo above, it doesn't show up in pictures taken at the time.

To Lord Speedy - they look great! What paints did you use for the grey/brown please?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Thank you.
Vallejo Dark grey, black wash, dark grey highlights, then the camo is Vallejo Chocolate Brown.
The info I had was universal grey came in AFTER  the Fall of France, but as we often know, I am wrong on a great many things.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

According to my Blitzkrieg  Armour Camouflage book by Zaloga - 'Grey and brown was adopted in 1935 the correct proportions were 1/3rd brown 2/3rds grey.  On many vehicles it was never applied. Exclusive grey colour was officially adopted as an economy measure for the duration.  It was mandated by Directive HM 1940 No 864 on 31st july 1940.
The grey colour that could vary to almost black as Pz1's serving with the Condor Legion  in Spian  were popularly called had been referred to as "Negrillos" - "The Black Ones

My Blanford by BT White states all German vehicles were a medium grey, in sunlight this appeared to face to a chalkier lighter grey

Panzer Colours again state a change fron brown grey to overall grey  in late 1939 but speculates that this was to late for all vehicles to be changed for the Polish campaign. Most being don on refit afterwards.

It also satted that on exercises the vehicles got so covered in dust it oftn obliterated all markings and the base colour of the paintwork. It also suggests that being covered  dust local to the area helped the vehicle to blend in .

Having visited numerous tank museums over the last 5-6 years I do not recall seeing any in a grey and brown scheme. Nor have I seen any photos where you could distinguish the pattern, although it could have been covered with dust.

However with that being said The Germans did use a Brown and grey colour scheme just before the war, and I doubt that all vehicles even in the Wermacht were studiously repainted , particularly when in the field.

In  conclusion it seems  that grey should have been the overall colour. It probably wasn't for quite a few if not most  vehicles on the polish campaign, and I suspect undamaged vehicles did not get repainted for the French campaign.

So the plain grey or brown /grey colour schemes are probably both correct.   The grey can vary from  a light mid-grey, with or without a blue-ish  tinge  to almost black. So paint them as you like them . I don't think anyone will be able to prove otherwise.

P.S. they look very nice as they are. 

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You could have lead with that last line!!!  ;D

Westmarcher

These Panzer IIIs have come out quite well, Will.  :-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

paulr

Quote from: Lord Speedy of Leighton on 17 March 2021, 09:16:50 PM
You could have lead with that last line!!!  ;D

Where's the fun in that ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

18 March 2021, 10:21:30 AM #11 Last Edit: 18 March 2021, 10:23:38 AM by Raider4
Quote from: Orcs on 17 March 2021, 06:10:05 PM
Having visited numerous tank museums over the last 5-6 years I do not recall seeing any in a grey and brown scheme.

Bovington had a Panzer II in grey/brown, or at least did the last time I went (>5 years ago).

Quote from: Orcs on 17 March 2021, 06:10:05 PM
So paint them as you like them . I don't think anyone will be able to prove otherwise.

Yeah, this.

Bovy do have a tendancy to use made up schemes though....

Orcs

Quote from: ianrs54 on 18 March 2021, 11:15:09 AM
Bovy do have a tendancy to use made up schemes though....

Yes, their Caunter scheme is supposedly suspect.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

It certainly is on the Matilda II in Salford IWM. Course we don't have the right paints anymore.