Hello (again) from Shetland

Started by Maenoferren, 02 March 2021, 04:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maenoferren

Cheers guys, I have no excuses now really as we now have relatively fast super fast broadband.
I just about got the dwarves finished last night. Onto Mongols or Plains wars next (I made a vow not to buy anything new until I had reduced the lead pile a bit - either painted or sold).
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

fsn

Aye aye.

Welcome back. 

If you're ever on the West Side, please post a photo of my old homestead at Browland. It's a very long white house ... you can't miss it.   :)

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jimduncanuk

06 March 2021, 12:06:49 PM #17 Last Edit: 06 March 2021, 12:09:14 PM by jimduncanuk
Quote from: fsn on 06 March 2021, 09:59:57 AM

If you're ever on the West Side, please post a photo of my old homestead at Browland. It's a very long white house ... you can't miss it.   :)

Like this one?

My Ego forbids a signature.

fsn

That's the place.  :D

I was born in the room under the 2nd chimney from the left. It was called the Far End until my grandfather built on an extension for a lady called Mary-Anne.   

The hill across the voe is the Ward of Browland, and there's the remains of a Pictish broch at the top. Also a great view.  :D 

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Maenoferren on 02 March 2021, 04:33:34 PM

It has been a long while since I darkened your doors. But after Mr Leon kindly dropped me an email to check whether I was still alive then I thought I had better re-appear and annoy you all again.  Nope I certainly haven't been eaten by a killer whale, one of the reasons I am not going wild swimming in the sea. I look too much like a tasty seal.

Apparantly there are orcas which eat seals, there are other orcas which eat fish and other orcas again which eat whales.

So pick your killer whale carefully.

I used to have a customer who went swimming in Norwegian fiords with a camera to film orcas. He said his orcas were safe enough.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Maenoferren

Quote from: fsn on 06 March 2021, 02:31:26 PM
That's the place.  :D

I was born in the room under the 2nd chimney from the left. It was called the Far End until my grandfather built on an extension for a lady called Mary-Anne.   

The hill across the voe is the Ward of Browland, and there's the remains of a Pictish broch at the top. Also a great view.  :D 
I think this is the one that became The nunnery. I am head teacher of Skeld school so I can certainly nip over one evening and get a photo.

Maenoferren

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 06 March 2021, 02:52:38 PM
Apparantly there are orcas which eat seals, there are other orcas which eat fish and other orcas again which eat whales.

So pick your killer whale carefully.

I used to have a customer who went swimming in Norwegian fiords with a camera to film orcas. He said his orcas were safe enough.

The ones hear eat seals, well the ones inshore do baby seals don't know what they are so are easy pickings. They come in larger concentrations in June and November... seal pupping time.

fsn

Quote from: Maenoferren on 10 March 2021, 01:21:10 PM
I think this is the one that became The nunnery. I am head teacher of Skeld school so I can certainly nip over one evening and get a photo.

Oooh no. The nunnery was the house behind ours. I still get letters from them.  :)

Skeld! I used to work with a chap called Big Jack from Skeld.

Must stop this., I'm getting all nostalgic and want to come home for a visit.

Maenoferren

I will ask around and see if anyone knows Big Jack, where did you work? Ooh and when?

fsn

It was many years ago - the 1980s. I was a County man, building the roads. I'm particularly proud of the stretch of road out to Gremista.

Maenoferren

Quote from: fsn on 11 March 2021, 09:49:33 PM
It was many years ago - the 1980s. I was a County man, building the roads. I'm particularly proud of the stretch of road out to Gremista.

I just drove along it at about 10.30 this morning... off to the tip with some bags I went.