Hullo!

Started by Coenus Scaldingus, 28 February 2021, 08:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coenus Scaldingus

Thought I'd say hi in the dedicated place too!

Have been painting little men and women for a good few years now, starting with fantasy figures and later branching out into historicals as well. For most of the time, I've stayed within the 28mm size bracket, but 10mm has intrigued me for some time now. My first project is to recreate a reduced-size Warhammer Fantasy Kislev army, as it's something I've always enjoyed the look of, but didn't collect at the time and which is prohibitively expensive to collect now from the ebay prices I've seen! Pendraken's Polish, with smatterings of Mongols and Russians, are perfect for this however, and allow me to build an army for the price of about 3 out of production models, while also being a good bit faster to paint.

Now that I've committed to another scale, I already know I'll be collecting some pike-based army at some point too, as there are few things that look more impressive than blocks of those on the table - but first, the Kislevites from the frozen north, and maybe some trolls and demons for them to fight.
2021 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!

mmcv

Excellent stuff, welcome to the forum!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

Welcome: and my greetings to the President of Kislevia.

Glorfindel

Welcome to the forum !

Kislev ?   What an amazing coincidence - a 10mm Kislev army using Pendrakens has been my 'lockdown'
project.   It's been slowly gathering strength over the last few months and is now almost complete.

As you say, the Polish figures are perfect.   I think my only move away from this range has been for the
infantry (ELM33 for the archers and ELM19 for the axemen after a hard search), together with ELM17 (war
wagons), all from the 'Late European' medieval range.

I'm sure you have everything picked out but just let me know if I can help at all.

Cheers,

Phil

Techno II

And a warm welcome from me, too !

Cheers - Phil/Techno :)

Leon

Welcome to the Forum!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Hello from me, too.  :-h
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Orcs

Welcome to the forum.  I considered a Kislev Army when they first came out, but even then with three young  children they were effectively out of my price range.

I wish I had now selling them would pay for several armies from other manufacturers
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Coenus Scaldingus

Thanks for the warm welcoming words all!

Quote from: Glorfindel on 28 February 2021, 09:29:09 PMKislev ?   What an amazing coincidence - a 10mm Kislev army using Pendrakens has been my 'lockdown'
project.   It's been slowly gathering strength over the last few months and is now almost complete.

As you say, the Polish figures are perfect.   I think my only move away from this range has been for the
infantry (ELM33 for the archers and ELM19 for the axemen after a hard search), together with ELM17 (war
wagons), all from the 'Late European' medieval range.
How about that! I did pick up a few of the dismounted Mongol archers as more scout-y figures, but ELM33 sure is a good shout for more kossar-like figures. What system are you using them for - Warmaster? At least that's the main thing that comes to mind with the war wagons.
For an army that got typically limited levels of support in several game systems, I do enjoy the various interpretations of what a Kislev army could contain - some things are unique to Warmaster, some featured in Mordheim, a couple had the 6th(?) edition sculpts and rules in a little supplement, and then there was a big armylist without model support in old Citadel Journals. And soon, yet more things in the Total War video game plus eventually models based on the same designs in the revamped "Old World" GW is launching apparently... what a time to be alive!

Quote from: Orcs on 01 March 2021, 11:32:45 AMI considered a Kislev Army when they first came out, but even then with three young  children they were effectively out of my price range.

I wish I had now selling them would pay for several armies from other manufacturers
I'm now considering any and all miniature purchases as wise long-term investments.  :D
2021 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!

Orcs

Quote from: Coenus Scaldingus on 05 March 2021, 02:28:53 PM
I'm now considering any and all miniature purchases as wise long-term investments.  :D

I agree. The prices of miniatures only goes up, although relatively slowly. I purchased most of my Essex 15mm at 80p a packet, from "Gamers in Exile" in Pentonville road near Kings Cross. I they are about £3 a pack now.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

Welcome. It's always refreshing to hear how different ranges can be used.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!