Crusades

Started by Roel, 06 February 2021, 05:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roel

06 February 2021, 05:27:10 PM Last Edit: 06 February 2021, 05:34:41 PM by Roel
The history of the Crusades has intrigued me since... no idea... long!

Most figures have been painted in the wll known: White shield with red cross (Templars), white shield with black cross (Teutonic order) and black shield with white cross (Hospitaller order). Last weel I've started with some different tunics, as in not white or black. For the Seljuks and Fatamids... whole different game. More colours and variety. Will start to paint some more in different colours, Saracens and Crusaders. work in progress. Some still need a wash etc. And I've already received some good feedback on how to better my painting skills and make more use of shadow so the colours en facial expressions stand out better.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

Good stuff! If you want to add a mix to the"uniformed" knights I quite enjoyed doing a unit of Jerusalem knights in turquoise and yellow. Can go with a motley array of colours for mixed European Knights too.

The Islamic forces are fun with a great array of colours and styles.

Orcs

They look really good
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

A good start :)

In the fourth picture, a couple of the dismounted Teutonic order look to have Ts rather than crosses on their shields (second & third from left, front rank of Teutonic order)
As many here can attest the camera reveals much the eye misses ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jimduncanuk

Quote from: paulr on 06 February 2021, 08:42:11 PM

In the fourth picture, a couple of the dismounted Teutonic order look to have Ts rather than crosses on their shields (second & third from left, front rank of Teutonic order)
As many here can attest the camera reveals much the eye misses ;)

Authentic then!
My Ego forbids a signature.

Steve J

Very nice work Roel 8).

FierceKitty

Bear in mind that troops like the royal mamluks would have been uniformed.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Poggle

Techno II

Very nice work, Roel.  8)

Cheers - Phil :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Of  course how long before the political correctness brigade stop us referring to the Crusades, or even stop us having models of the crusades? Just incase we offend someone on the other side.

The bloke on the underground station that referred to the anniversary of the defence of Rourkes Drift, got pulled up.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

Was that because it's cultural appropriation if you celebrate Rorke's Drift and aren't Welsh? :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

Quote from: Ithoriel on 07 February 2021, 09:40:46 PM
Was that because it's cultural appropriation if you celebrate Rorke's Drift and aren't Welsh? :)

Yeah, hmmm. I love Zulu as a film, but it's only slightly less fictional than Braveheart. South Wales Borderers? Try 2nd Warwickshire instead. Only about a third of all the troops there were Welsh. And none of them sang Men of Harlech.

Roel

Quote from: Orcs on 07 February 2021, 09:35:02 PM
Of  course how long before the political correctness brigade stop us referring to the Crusades, or even stop us having models of the crusades? Just incase we offend someone on the other side.

The bloke on the underground station that referred to the anniversary of the defence of Rourkes Drift, got pulled up.

Just one thing to do... just as we all stocked TP due to corona as we did not know what was going to happen we now better also stock on figures concerning the Crusades. And I'll be damned if I'm going to call that period anything else  :D