Glider Pilots of the Glider Pilot Regiment, AAC

Started by Roel, 04 February 2021, 09:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roel

04 February 2021, 09:25:34 PM Last Edit: 04 February 2021, 10:16:50 PM by Roel
I've checked if someone had already started a topic concerning the GPR. Bu I have not found none. But in case I did not check this thoroughly enough, I apologise fo any double posts.

During WW2 several airborne operations took place across the world. Most notably is Market Garden.
The 1,334 pglider pilots of the Glide Pilot Regiment flew in 669 glidersto the landingzones near Wolfheze and Heelsum. The 669 gliders brought in 4465 troops, 544 jeeps, 445 trailers, sixty 6-pounder A-T guns, thirteen 17-pounder A-T guns with tractor, twenty two 75 mm howitzers, and at least 248 motorcycles, 147 bicycles and 130 handcarts. The glider pilots saw action all over the battlefield. They were formed in 'squadrons' and were kept in reserve at the Hartenstein hotel in Oosterbeek. They helped retrieving supplies, guarding prisoners and after two days they were put in the line of the perimeter and formed hunting parties to find and deal with German snipers. During the withdrawal they guided the other men of the division to the Rhine. From Oosterbeek to Arnhem bridge, they fought everywhere. The men of the glider pilot regiment sustained the most casualties of all units involved at Arnhem. In all, of the 1,334 pilots, 359 pilots were killed in action, a further 719 were taken prisoner. Total casualties amounted to 1.078. The Glider Pilot Regiment left behind 81% of their strength on the north bank of the Rhine...

At the moment I use two miniatures of the commando miniatures. They carry the 'Bergen' backpack. This backpack was also used by most of the glider pilots. Over the years I have done extensive research concerning the men of the GPR. The knowledge is there. But the miniatures are not ;)

It would be a fitting tribute to the men of the regiment who fought so bravely and hard alongside the other units of the British 1st Airborne Division. Above all these men would be an ideal addition to the already existing airborne miniatures. You might think: Hey, but they look exactly the same as the other airborne miniatures?!  =) Mweh not quite so. One of the differences is the backpack. Then you have the glider pilot badge on the chest. All glider pilots had the rank of sergeant or higher on the sleeve of the Denison smocks. Then there is the 'light' equipment load out. By all airborne men in Arnhem you see the ammo pouches and the smallpacks. Not so with the men of the GPR. They do not carry the pouches and the small packs. Their ammuniton was carried in their smocks, leg pouch or Bergen rucksack.

I have several pictures to mark the specific items mentioned above. However in the meantime, if you google Hartenstein Oosterbeek 1944 or Glider Pilots Oosterbeek you will find many pictures of the men. Because they were kept in reserve at Hartenstein, the base of the men of the AFPU, a lot of film and pictures were taken of the glider pilots.

Sorry for the long story. This was actually the short version  :D

fred.

Great write up.

A few GP figures would be cool - they are very much for Arnhem though. On D-Day they were evacuated very quickly
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Roel

04 February 2021, 09:40:54 PM #2 Last Edit: 04 February 2021, 10:35:01 PM by Roel
True! Mainly Arnhem yes. It also applies to Varsity. The largest one day landing ever to take place but also the shortest action in time/period. Still counts though.

Short add on. They were equiped with Enfields, Stens, Brens and Piats.

Roel

Question to the moderator. I should have posted this in the WW2-sub thread. Sorry, just realised this. Can you swith this topic to the correct thread?

Orcs

Great report Roel. Very interesting

The request for the Glider Pilot figures is in the right place and the information given backs up the reason for the request, so I can't see its in the wrong place
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Likewise - its in the right place. I would like to add my vote.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

I'll go for that.

There was at RAF Shawbury the Assault Glider Museum. I went there with my family and was shown around by (and I kid you not) Sq Ldr Richard Head.

Very interesting place. They had a full scale Horsa glider which was very, very impressive and imposing.

Inside, at the back was a small tube.

"Is this for communicating with the pilot?" I asked.
"No, it's the toilet."

Lesson learned.   
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!