Portees

Started by Amra, 02 February 2021, 03:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amra

Hi All ,

Moving on to the 8th Army, I know portees have been discussed but I can't find the final answer

Do they move,deploy,shoot ? So their only advantage is speed ? Their disadvantage being 3 hits

Are they based on a standard vehicle base ( as opposed to a gun base) ?

Thanks

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Ok the Portee was supposed to dismount to fire, but the crews often didn't. To dismout it needs a Delpoy order, and similarly to move off. However to fire with it mounted just issue a fire order. There is an argument that it should be limited traverse but as the 2pdr has 360 traverse I would'nt. One RA officer Lee? Gunn won a VC during the Crusader figthing, he was killed, for almost halting a complete Pnz Coy with one Portee.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

holdfast

Is a Delpoy Order like a Delboy order which requires it to divert to Peckham?

Amra

So it operates like a tank ?
Ok, and base size ?

Orcs

Base size does not really matter as you measure to the center of the base
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Amra

Probably does a bit for hiding behind terrain and getting caught under arty/air

Yes it's a soft skin open toped AFV

Big Insect

Quote from: ianrs54 on 03 February 2021, 09:18:03 AM
Yes it's a soft skin open toped AFV

Yup - that is short hand for "artillery or mortar magnet" & "almost certain death!" But it can get a few telling shots off.

When firing mounted I would treat as Restricted Arc - so 45 degree either side of the centre of the back of the truck.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Amra

Haha yup sounds right

I guess with forces in the desert based around before June 1942 , the DAK look so strong I'm hoping a 'target rich environment" will mean some 8th Army get thru !

Ariete

Quote from: Lord Kermit of Birkenhead on 02 February 2021, 04:15:12 PM
Ok the Portee was supposed to dismount to fire, but the crews often didn't. To dismount it needs a Deploy order, and similarly to move off. However to fire with it mounted just issue a fire order. There is an argument that it should be limited traverse but as the 2pdr has 360 traverse I would'nt. One RA officer Lee? Gunn won a VC during the Crusader fighting, he was killed, for almost halting a complete Pnz Coy with one Portee.

The Bofors 37mm Portee has no traverse worth mentioning and was always rear facing afaik
The 2pdr cannot traverse as far as the platform allows because the crew have nowhere to stand once it get to about 75 degrees from the centre line and the gunners seats and ready ammo are behind the cab.
On Morris conversions they just wheeled the 2pdr facing forward and served the gun from behind.
Apart from the Deacon the 6pdr Portee was usually loaded facing over the cab OR over the rear end.

I would give all British portees restricted arc because of this [except the Deacon with the armoured gun house]
Link to a Google image search that shows lots of photographs of 2pdr portee guns deployed for action.
https://www.google.com/search?q=2pdr+portee&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB905GB905&sxsrf=AOaemvLfzrwed2uDOwJmjskZqr5xfMoqNg:1630522495173&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_0f3Qud7yAhWQilwKHReHBT0Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1920&bih=937
6pdr Portee pictures
https://www.google.com/search?q=6pdr+portee&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiOoMvUud7yAhXPwoUKHWEuDOwQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=6pdr+portee&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIGCAAQBxAeUKndJliH5CZg_eomaABwAHgAgAFUiAGGAZIBATKYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=hswvYY7FLM-FlwTh3LDgDg&bih=937&biw=1920&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB905GB905
37mm Bofors Portee
https://www.google.com/search?q=37mm+bofors+portee&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjLsMWzvN7yAhVNMRoKHYTgBHMQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=37mm+bofors+portee&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1DTqwNY06sDYIDTA2gAcAB4AIABQ4gBQ5IBATGYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=Zs8vYcvlLM3iaITBk5gH&bih=937&biw=1920&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB905GB905
French 25mm Portee
https://www.google.com/search?q=25mm+portee&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwj5wovfvN7yAhWH44UKHXQfAQ8Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=25mm+portee&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1DnGFjVIWCMKGgBcAB4AIABP4gB2AKSAQE2mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=ws8vYfnZA4fHlwT0voR4&bih=937&biw=1920&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB905GB905

Drew