Hello!

Started by Srpz2116, 01 February 2021, 05:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Srpz2116

Hello!

Thank you for adding me to the forum! Especially thanks to Leon for being so helpful.

For the obligatory little ice-breaker, I'm a military history student and have been into wargaming for 10 years now. The parts of history which most interest me are the 1990-1991 Gulf War and the Wars of German Unification.

My preferred wargaming period is anything in which one side suffered a major defeat in some way or because it has a heavy feeling of war-weariness about it. I  have a certain affinity for that air of desperation and arguable pointlessness that such an ambience brings. 

For example, the Falklands because it led in major part to the downfall of the military junta, the Matabele Wars because it saw two kingdoms swallowed up by a corporation, and the Second Macedonian War because it saw large swathes of men and land engulfed into another large conflict almost right after an even bigger one, the Second Punic War, came to an end.

Anyhow, thank you for allowing me onto the forum!  :)

- Samuel

FierceKitty

Greetings and welcome.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

fsn

Woah! "My preferred wargaming period is anything in which one side suffered a major defeat in some way or because it has a heavy feeling of war-weariness about it." That's getting pretty close to erudition. I'm not sure you're allowed that until you reach the rank of colonel - and even that it's optional.  I have a list of members for whom "erudite" is a type of epoxy adhesive.

The Wars of German Unification interest me, but I've successfully avoided a C19 chocolate box ... so far. Would 1918 fit your criterion? What about 1814 - after Leipzig? The Fall of Berlin 1945?  Sorry, just being nosey now.

Please post photos of your work. We all loves photos.

Warm welcome, Samuel.

The accumulated wisdom of this forum is huge, if sometimes a bit odd.   I also congratulate you on your choice of Pendraken. They are a fantastic little company and Leon (AKA Sir) is far too friendly and accommodating of odd requests. About 10mm figures that is.  I cannot speak for other spheres, I have never interacted with him in any other way.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Srpz2116

Quote from: fsn on 01 February 2021, 05:33:29 PM
Woah! "My preferred wargaming period is anything in which one side suffered a major defeat in some way or because it has a heavy feeling of war-weariness about it." That's getting pretty close to erudition. I'm not sure you're allowed that until you reach the rank of colonel - and even that it's optional.  I have a list of members for whom "erudite" is a type of epoxy adhesive.

The Wars of German Unification interest me, but I've successfully avoided a C19 chocolate box ... so far. Would 1918 fit your criterion? What about 1814 - after Leipzig? The Fall of Berlin 1945?  Sorry, just being nosey now.

Please post photos of your work. We all loves photos.

Warm welcome, Samuel.

The accumulated wisdom of this forum is huge, if sometimes a bit odd.   I also congratulate you on your choice of Pendraken. They are a fantastic little company and Leon (AKA Sir) is far too friendly and accommodating of odd requests. About 10mm figures that is.  I cannot speak for other spheres, I have never interacted with him in any other way.

Thank you! I shall try to remain within my lowly rank as best I can!

And yep! all of those dates would fit my criterion. As well as other years within those wars: 1806 and the defeat of Prussia or 1815 and the Hundred Days, for example; 1944 and the defeat of the British at Arnhem and Oosterbeek etc.

I'll be sure to add photos when I can  :)

Leon

Hi Samuel, welcome to the Forum!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

Welcome on board Samuel and look forward to seeing your Wars of German Unification stuff :).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Welcome Samuel, your's is one of the most polite and interesting introductions I've read. To invoke such a very specific emotion in your selection process is very thought provoking. Okinawa, 1945 would seem to fit. I like last stands which may be a corollary, Thermopylae, Alamo, Camarone, Little Big Horn, best friend's batchelor party, etc. I also like the first major battle of any civil war, particularly with amateurs on both sides, Edgehill, Manassas I, Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra, etc.

Any-who,  a very warm welcome!
Sleep with clean hands ...

steve_holmes_11

Welcome to the Forum Samuel,

Have you researched the Taiping rebellion.
Soul destroying when one contemplates the numbers.

A more optimistic note to close: Cadets promote extremely quickly.

Srpz2116

Quote from: d_Guy on 01 February 2021, 07:57:36 PM
Welcome Samuel, your's is one of the most polite and interesting introductions I've read. To invoke such a very specific emotion in your selection process is very thought provoking. Okinawa, 1945 would seem to fit. I like last stands which may be a corollary, Thermopylae, Alamo, Camarone, Little Big Horn, best friend's batchelor party, etc. I also like the first major battle of any civil war, particularly with amateurs on both sides, Edgehill, Manassas I, Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra, etc.

Oh, thank you so much! Indeed, Okinawa is one that I've always been drawn to. I'm the same regarding the first battles of a civil war too, as it happens! It holds something of an "opening Pandora's Box" feel to it for me.

T13A

Hi and welcome!

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Srpz2116

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 01 February 2021, 08:12:59 PM
Welcome to the Forum Samuel,

Have you researched the Taiping rebellion.
Soul destroying when one contemplates the numbers.

A more optimistic note to close: Cadets promote extremely quickly.

Not as much as I would like, but it's definitely on my list. I've read a little about Charles Gordon's role in it, mostly because I'm interested in the 1882 Anglo-Egyptian War and the subsequent British involvement in the Mahdist Revolt. Fighting through the Sudan towards a city only to arrive narrowly late, meaning it was all for nought, caught my interest.

Thanks for the kind welcome!

Chris Pringle

Welcome to a fellow enthusiast for (presumably) 1866 and 1870, among others.

My current obsession, though, is the Hungarian War of Independence of 1848-1849. I commend it to you as meeting your criteria of sense of war-weariness, desperation and (as the revolution failed) ultimate pointlessness:
https://www.helion.co.uk/military-history-books/hungary-1848-the-winter-campaign.php

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles
BBBBlog:
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Westmarcher

Quote from: d_Guy on 01 February 2021, 07:57:36 PM

;D ;D ;D

Welcome from me, too, Srpz.  :-h
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.