What the last rules set you played in 2022

Started by pierre the shy, 15 January 2022, 10:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

15 January 2022, 10:03:09 PM Last Edit: 15 January 2022, 10:08:07 PM by pierre the shy
1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - General Quarters 1 and 2
2) What armies were confronted? - RN/USN vs IJN somewhere in the South China Sea December 1941 
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, I've been playing them since 2013.
5) How many players were in the game? - 3/4 (Paul is umpiring the campaign but wanted to run the USN destroyer flotilla).
6) What went well? - For RN/USN pretty much everything, for the IJN not very much.
7) What could have been improved? - IJN cruiser gunnery

This was the first game in our refight of the "Defence of the Malay Barrier" Campaign by Old Dominion Game Works 

The RN Wesforce, based in Singapore, with a USN destroyer flotilla attached, sortied to intercept a Japanese invasion convoy that had been spotted by the RAF off the East coast of Malaya (as it was known in 1941). The sighting report was not that accurate (The brylcream boys reporting carriers rather than cruisers!  :o) ).

The interception was sucessful and Wesforce deployed with Exeter (flag), 3 old D class light cruisers and a total of 12 (mainly WW1 vintage) RN and USN destroyers facing off agianst an IJN invasion convoy of 11 transports, 2 Mogami class heavy cruisers and 8 modern destroyers.

Each IJN cruiser mounts 10 x 8" guns, agianst the Exeter's 6. The D class light cruisers only mount 5 x 6" individual centreline mounts.

Exeter opened fire on the leading cruiser at fairly long range and hit her 3 turns in a row, slowing her significantly and damaging her enough to force its withdrawal from the action. Meanwhile the one flotilla of 4 relatively modern destroyers was sent in to attack the head of the Japanese formation. While still relitively undamaged they were able to mount an effective torpedo attack on the Japanese flagship, which was hit by several torpedoes and literally exploded when its magazines lit off, taking the Japanese admiral and many of the crew with it.

Meanwhile the Japanese destroyers frantically laid smoke to protect the lumbering transports. The Exeter, hardly touched by Japanese fire, on the opposite course to the convoy was able to sight the tail-end ship of the nearest column and engage it. Exeter's good fortune continued, hitting its target squarely with a with a full 8" broadside. This caused this ship to explode as well, since it was carrying ammunition and other flammable supplies.

My destroyers did start suffering quite badly and the cruiser line is about to turn away with Japanese destroyers approaching.

But I think I have done enough damage to force the Japanese to withdraw since the Admiral's flagship failed morale and there are losses amongst their transports which (if I read the campaign rules correctly) means the whole force withdraws (or at least has to test morale....which is a bit of a novelty in my naval gaming experience). I just hope the umpire agrees with my reading of that particular section!!  ;)  :-\

As Admiral Palister was present on Exeter's bridge he has directed his flag secretary to prepare a recommendation for the immediate award of a suitable decoration for the Exeter's Captain and Gunnery Officer.

Tally Ho!                         

"Welcome back to the fight, this time I know our side will win"

paulr

Quote5) How many players were in the game? - 3/4 (Paul is umpiring the campaign but wanted to run the USN destroyer flotilla).
I wanted to introduce a little inter-navy confusion to the Allied side ;)

I agree with your reading and once you decide what you will do if the Japanese break off Roy and I can finish the action off.

My account of the action will appear in this thread in due course
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

Well it certainly seems to be a good start for the ABDA in the campaign. Fingers crossed their luck holds...
http://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - 2 x Winner!

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Practical Wargmaing by C Wesencraft.
2) What armies were confronted? - Generic Ancients.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Not bad given it was my first go with them.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes.
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo.
6) What went well? - Not bad for a first run out with the rules, that look to have plenty to offer. You can see how Neil Thomas took these rules and updated them.
7) What could have been improved? - Not much really. The game then allowed me to spot bits I'd missed etc. I certainly look forward to giving these another run out soon.
http://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - 2 x Winner!

paulr

QuoteWell it certainly seems to be a good start for the ABDA in the campaign. Fingers crossed their luck holds...
X_X  X_X  X_X
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!