Furioso Rules - Army lists

Started by Orcs, 23 July 2021, 11:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

I know one or two here have looked at the Furioso Set of rules for the renaissance period.

There are not many army lists within the rules, and those that are there are missing stats for some basic units eg Sword and Buckler.

While I am  not a great fan of points costs they are often useful, again no info seems available on how they have come to the points cost. THis would be very useful when adding Bows to Ottoman Spahis etc.

There does not seem to be much support on the Alternative Armies own forum, and I cannot find a dedicated one.

Has anybody found additional army lists or unit stats for this set of rules out there?   
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

flamingpig0

24 July 2021, 04:35:19 PM #1 Last Edit: 24 July 2021, 04:36:53 PM by flamingpig0
Quote from: Orcs on 23 July 2021, 11:53:08 PM
I know one or two here have looked at the Furioso Set of rules for the renaissance period.

There are not many army lists within the rules, and those that are there are missing stats for some basic units eg Sword and Buckler.

While I am  not a great fan of points costs they are often useful, again no info seems available on how they have come to the points cost. THis would be very useful when adding Bows to Ottoman Spahis etc.

There does not seem to be much support on the Alternative Armies own forum, and I cannot find a dedicated one.

Has anybody found additional army lists or unit stats for this set of rules out there?  

You might find help on the Alternative Armies  facebook page
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Leman

Troops such as sword and buckler, 2-handed swords and halberds are factored into the cost of pike units. Not sure about the assertion that there are not many army lists either. Those for all the major western European conflicts are there, unless you are after specific Italian states lists or esoteric Hungarian, Ottoman and Wallachian style lists, which I suspect these rules were not designed for.TBH they are really an Italian Wars rule set and it is no surprise that the only supplement is for the Italian Wars in more detail.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Orcs

They cover significantly more than the Italian Wars.

I was looking for specific Italian states lists, yes I can work them out from what is thee, but was wondering if someone had done it already/

There is a trial Ottoman list on the Alternative armies website , but half the troop types are missing.

It would have been good to have lists for Poles and other eastern Europeans to go against them.

In my opinion the Italian Wars supplement  should have carried the various city states army lists, that would have been far more useful than the space used for "wonderous inventions". And Elite (Games workshop style) mercenary units.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

It's pretty easy to do it yourself using the Impetus supplement booklet 1 which covers the IW with a large number of lists. It is relatively inexpensive and available on Wargame Vault, plus a few free flags, which are also available for free download on the Lancashire Games website.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

henjed

Hello, chaps,

As soon as I finish my current 10mm project (for O Group) I am going to turn (for the umpteenth time) to my 6mm mini-mountain of Italian Wars and 16th Ottoman figures who have so far resisted all attempts to be turned into anything playable (about one-sixteenth painted and less than that based...).

One of the obstacles I faced in the past was not finding a ruleset that convinced me - or finding one that did encompass the Italian Wars well but didn't seem able to reflect the sort of tactics and play that would be required of the Ottomans.

I now see that Furioso has provided an Ottoman list (or, at least, a partial one). Has anyone out there used these rules for a "Christian West" v Turkish battle?

Mike

Orcs

Not yet - Its in the pipelie, but i have several hundred Ottamans in 15mm to rebase.

I have converted a large number of the Gush lists to Furioso including the Turkish one. In fact it was the Turkish one that got me into doing it as there were so many troop types missing.

Happy to send you the Excel file I have made up, an explanation of my thinking on how I got there and the points system, although even in the main list there are anomolies. Played two games and both felt right. We are playing Tudor English V French tommorow

PM me if you want the lists

henjed